(shouting)

Celeste - Everest

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Celeste - Nanga Parbat

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

There are 175 Strawberries, spread across the A-sides.

There are 24 Golden Strawberries. One for each chapter, one for each side - 8 x 3. 24.

That makes 199.

Then there is that one

Flying Golden Strawberry

. To obtain it, you must

clear 1-A without dashing at all.

I would love to see you obtain a single Golden Strawberry, but I strongly advise against attempting the other 23 or that one.
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

The last golden strawberry is actually an interesting challenge but it also requires knowing a lot of weird quirks about the game engine & also just being reeeeally patient and probably is not a LP friendly ordeal
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Some other stray C-side thoughts:

When the game asks if you're "ready for a real challenge", it's not kidding. The C-Sides are extremely difficult and you will be asked to do things that look impossible at first glance. Pay attention to your surroundings as best you can and try not to get discouraged.
Don't forget everything you've learned up to this point, including the Super Wall Jump. The game taught you it for a reason.
Stay calm. You've come this far, you can do this. :D
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

I feel like you would genuinely be able to beat every mario romhack in existence (most of them tool-less) in less time than it'd take to get all the golden strawberries.

I'm pretty confident it's mostly a troll thing, so that even the most hardcore of completionists will have some collectables they miss without cheating.

Finishing the series by (attempting) getting one of them would maybe be a good way to end though, to show how you've improved since you started.
Crow

Post by Crow »

The golden strawberries mostly require reeeeallly learning the levels to get. I'm at 195 but have put the game aside for a bit because, uhh, they're hard

Though honestly the only one that feels, to me, completely and utterly absurd to try and get is 7B, just for how both hard and long that bastard is. 8B probably also sucks too. I haven't really made any serious effort at them, lol.

They're not as absurd as they sound in general though, not the hardest thing anyone can ever do in any video game ever, just, really damn hard. I've done harder stuff in guitar hero, I feel like, at the very least :P
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

welcome to volume 2: annapurna
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

tirakai wrote: 5 years ago I'm pretty confident it's mostly a troll thing, so that even the most hardcore of completionists will have some collectables they miss without cheating.
Considering how much dev time was put into making sure that the game was a good speedrunning game, I'm pretty sure the intentions were moreso to provide more challenges for that crowd.
Crow

Post by Crow »

i'm glad raocow finally acknowledged Kevin
i 100% agree that the bumper bounce in the first room of the layer 2 section is a w f u l, that's just such a dumb segment
Your stubbornness on refusing to let go of the grab button sometimes gave you a lot of trouble with that one conveyor, lol, the trick is to just keep lightly tapping the grab button until you wanna go up & you'll just stay stationary on the conveyor until you hold grab
"one tile grabs" he says, while the blocks are two tiles tall
i also support raocow doing 1A golden strawberry challenge at the very least, it's really easy honestly :lol:
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I don't think it's necessary to get even that one in 1A.

It's the same level, only without relying on checkpoints.

Like yeah, 1A golden strawberry isn't too difficult to get; I admit I just got it and it didn't take too long. But for LP purposes (of this daily-produced format, at least), it would be a waste of time. Like Enjl said, just seeing what it's like would be enough.

As for chapter 8 since people haven't talked about it all that much. I think it's helpful that you can move on and climb the wonky blocks while it's still shaking. That allows you to adjust your angle better. But they're still janky. They basically combine timing-sensitive clouds with angle-sensitive bumpers. And in 8B there are some places where you don't want them to boost you as high as they can, because that will get you killed. You want a "high but not extra-high" boost in those spots.

Speaking of which, how did Madeline exit the Core in 8A after she got the heart? There wasn't an obvious exit anywhere. Usually when a chapter ends Madeline is physically at the exit of a given region.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years agoSpeaking of which, how did Madeline exit the Core in 8A after she got the heart? There wasn't an obvious exit anywhere. Usually when a chapter ends Madeline is physically at the exit of a given region.
she didnt

she got her own heart out of her body and faded away

climbing ever more difficult versions of celeste is her purgatory or heaven or something

rip madeline nonamegiven 19XX-201X
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So will this game occupy the C-slot from now one?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

tirakai wrote: 5 years ago I feel like you would genuinely be able to beat every mario romhack in existence (most of them tool-less) in less time than it'd take to get all the golden strawberries.
This is definitely not true, I don't think anybody would be able to beat every mario romhack in existence before they died. You underestimate how many there are.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Grounder

Re: Celeste - Manaslu

Post by Grounder »

golden berries are indeed deathless runs of a level

except for a secret special one in chapter 1 that you didnt get
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I appreciate that the C-Sides are as short as they are. Each room is hard enough that a huge gauntlet of them to complete each side would really wear you down.

Also now that you beat 1-C, if you re-enter it will have a Golden Strawberry. Funny enough, I think it's actually relatively easy to get some of the Golden Strawberries on the C-sides just because they're short, concentrated challenges. They're still hard, mind you, but I can't imagine going for the B-Side ones without going insane.
Crow

Post by Crow »

yeah, that one is

beating the level dashless

and probably also isn't very LP-friendly

there's also one thing that you could show off, which is collecting 6 strawberries in a row without "collecting" one (ie, they all follow behind you & you don't get the "1000" pts for them thing. There's a neat little easter egg and achievement tied to that.

And there is a

dev room

in a specific spot of 6A that you may want to go to once you're basically done with everything else, but again it requires knowing some weird quirks of the engine to get to

as for the c-sides, yeah, they're all pretty short, but even then i don't recommend doing more than two per episode, and especially once you get to the back half of the c-sides... probably just one per episode :lol:
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

raocow why did you pick that particular thumbnail today?
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

the other ones where bad (title menue, random shot of the mountain core overworld spot)
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

and I figured, like, everyone would know I'd at least be able to beat the first c side pretty easily. also it clearly marks when the c-side videos begin.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Loop 3 begins...
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I think a good way to cap off this let's play is to check out what Assist Mode does. (Or, this can be done at any time while you're playing C-side.)

It's like sort of a debug mode with certain cheat functions, but it's presented with a different purpose, namely for accessibility, rather than a secret super-power mode. It also allows you to skip chapters.

I also found out just today that there is a separate cheat mode that unlocks all of the levels (all chapters with A, B, and C). I think this is worth demonstrating as well (use a new file and not your current file; that test file raocow first made would be good for this).
Go to Prologue, go to the screen with Madeline's car (go left from the starting screen), and input the following code:

Left, Right, Journal, Grab, Up, Up, Down, Left, Grab, Confirm

On Keyboard Default Controls: Left, Right, Tab, Z, Up, Up, Down, Left, Z, C
On Controller Default Controls: Left, Right, LT, RT, Up, Up, Down, Left, RT, A
Honestly, the game just should have given this away as a password when you cleared 8B and unlocked C-sides.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago And there is a

dev room

in a specific spot of 6A that you may want to go to once you're basically done with everything else, but again it requires knowing some weird quirks of the engine to get to
This I did not know
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

A-sides: The modern, commercial game.
B-sides: The standard romhack.
C-sides: The finale made by anonymousbl00dlust.
Golden strawberries: Some marathons stuck in there by Haimari.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

C-side golden strawberries are The End is Nigh deathless glitched cartridges
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Crow

Post by Crow »

honestly most of the c-side golden strawberries are among the easier ones, the b-side ones are the ones that are hell
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Zach808 wrote: 5 years ago A-sides: The modern, commercial game.
B-sides: The standard romhack.
C-sides: The finale made by anonymousbl00dlust.
Golden strawberries: Some marathons stuck in there by Haimari.
My take was that if B-sides were a romhack, C-sodes were a kaizo hack. One of the newer ones, where it's drmandong platforming more than traps and stages are short with decent checkpointing.