(shouting)

Celeste - Everest

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Celeste - Gasherbrum III

Post by Crow »

like, changing from controller to keyboard at this point would be way worse than just continuing to use controller and getting the wrong dash sometimes

hell, i get the wrong dash sometimes even on keyboard
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

The thing is, Sebby's right about keyboard being better about "only doing diagonals when you want to do diagonals" than controllers, but being used to the control scheme is even more important.

For instance, I'll use a keyboard on a game that's better-designed for controller, because I've barely used controllers in my life, and I'll be more comfortable not trying to learn controller habits for that game. It's the same thing, the other way around, from raocow.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I have to wonder if raocow's "natural" walljump-into-dash timing is based on MMX, and that's what is undoing him here...
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years ago
For instance, I'll use a keyboard on a game that's better-designed for controller, because I've barely used controllers in my life, and I'll be more comfortable not trying to learn controller habits for that game. It's the same thing, the other way around, from raocow.
I'm fine with learning controller habits for that particular game when I pick up a new game (and it should work the other way too - seriously, the "I can't play on a keyboard" syndrome is overrated and I'd say if you can type on a keyboard, you can play on a keyboard) but it's a different story when you're told to change to a different control device during a let's play that's released daily in the middle of B-side.
Crow

Post by Crow »

yup, basically. everything should be pretty doable even with the occasional wrong dash, anyways, but there are definitely some points where if that keeps up raocow is reeeeally gonna struggle. but at the same time, less than if he tried to relearn how to play the game during the harder levels the game has to offer :P
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

He's doing just fine, wrong dashes happen.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I thought raocow had a fight stick? can he not use that as a compromise between the "use a controller" and "user a keyboard"?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago I thought raocow had a fight stick? can he not use that as a compromise between the "use a controller" and "user a keyboard"?
A fight stick? Not really. Maybe if he had a hitbox. That said, you can still slip up on keyboard, just differently. I mean, I flub up typing more than I'd like to admit.

Anyway! Mirror temple went down a lot easier than anticipated. Reflection probably won't be so kind. Minor technique spoilers as usual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkMP-69QYGc
🦆 RedMageSusie

Post by RedMageSusie »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago I thought raocow had a fight stick? can he not use that as a compromise between the "use a controller" and "user a keyboard"?
A fight stick? Not really. Maybe if he had a hitbox. That said, you can still slip up on keyboard, just differently. I mean, I flub up typing more than I'd like to admit.

Anyway! Mirror temple went down a lot easier than anticipated. Reflection probably won't be so kind. Minor technique spoilers as usual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkMP-69QYGc
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

raocow if you don't play this shit with a steering wheel and Donkey Konga drums from now on I'll unsubscribe immediately
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years agoraocow if you don't play this shit with a steering wheel and Donkey Konga drums from now on I'll unsubscribe immediately
This is the only acceptable solution to the controller vs. keyboard debate.
Crow

Re: Celeste - Gyachung Kang

Post by Crow »

another episode of "raocow trivializes the room that took me the longest & then has trouble with easier stuff"

that second room of the up/down guys took me forever to do and raocow does it in like three tries i'm upset :lol:

the room pointed out as "looks like a nightmare" is the hardest room in the level for sure tho, when i was doing the golden strawberry i didn't even bother considering something "a run" until i cleared that room

also @ susie yeah reflection is... powerful, it's as long as the levels before it but with just a lot of more difficult platforming in general, especially the boss fight
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

During this level I felt a lot that there's a significant degree of flexibility or options, which is how I felt about some of the A-side levels. It was surprising because I expected B-sides to be stricter than this. The level felt very natural as a platformer.

And I really like the remixed BGM here. Sounds like a good Megaman theme.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

As rao pointed out himself, he doesn't look ahead very much. I hope he doesn't apply that to driving!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Crow

Post by Crow »

who needs to drive when you can just dash everywhere
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

SoNiC. wHy ArE yOu RaCiNg In A cAr?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

I hope raocow drives his car with a keyboard, and not a controller like some sort of ne'er-do-well
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

10204307 wrote: 5 years agoI hope raocow drives his car with a keyboard, and not a controller like some sort of ne'er-do-well
Everyone knows touchscreen controls are superior for driving.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago During this level I felt a lot that there's a significant degree of flexibility or options, which is how I felt about some of the A-side levels. It was surprising because I expected B-sides to be stricter than this. The level felt very natural as a platformer.

3 4 and 5 B sides have my absolute favorite tracks in the game, with 4 being my favorite among those three.
🦆 RedMageSusie

Post by RedMageSusie »

For some reason, I remember the B-sides being longer. Doing a great job so far there raocow.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

RedMageSusie wrote: 5 years ago For some reason, I remember the B-sides being longer.
Probably all the dying
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

strongbadman wrote: 5 years ago
ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago During this level I felt a lot that there's a significant degree of flexibility or options, which is how I felt about some of the A-side levels. It was surprising because I expected B-sides to be stricter than this. The level felt very natural as a platformer.

3 4 and 5 B sides have my absolute favorite tracks in the game, with 4 being my favorite among those three.
It's a tie between 4b and 5b for me. Both are just so good.
Crow

Post by Crow »

also this needs to be immortalized somehow

FPzero

Re: Celeste - Shishapangma

Post by FPzero »

While I love 4B for its music, I do feel like it has some really hard rooms, especially the vertical block riding ones. You're not alone in thinking that this B-Side might be a bit uneven at times. That said, there's something about bouncing around using the nightmare balls and wind that makes this level really fun to play.

It's also a good level to learn about dash distances. You started mentioning it at the very end, but as it turns out the horizontal and vertical dashes give you much more distance to work with compared to the diagonal ones, at the expense of only moving in one direction. Some of the tricky heavy wind rooms where you need to jump off a platform at the last second to get to the next one with a diagonal dash become much easier when you horizontal dash between them since that wind is pushing against you so hard that getting just a little bit extra horizontal distance from your dash can be more useful than the little bit of vertical distance you get from a diagonal. But you made it through just fine in the end so it doesn't matter too much!
Crow

Re: Celeste - Shishapangma

Post by Crow »

oh yeah this one has about 5 hard rooms in total and the rest are pretty chill but it's a bit longer than the previous few b-sides, a trend that will continue