(shouting)

Celeste - Everest

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Chirei

Re: Celeste - Himalchuli

Post by Chirei »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago So if I'm interpreting this right, Madeline is now climbing the mountain in one straight shot now (from the bottom), skimming past all previous areas.
If you remember the original Game Jam PICO-8 game, Chapter 7 is actually just straight up that game, but now in this modern, remastered version, so yes.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

As some of the video comments have said, this is less of a postgame and more of a resolution; I would actually call this endgame and not postgame. The gameplay does somewhat resemble B-side levels though, in the sense that you revisit mechanics you've learned and do more advanced things with them - although in this case much of it is from the involvement of having two dashes, sideway springs, and Badeline circles.

It helps that so many things in the game, including the sideway springs (even though you don't land on them), recharge your dashes and stamina to full. Like those bumpers in Reflection. In a tight platforming game they would normally seem unwieldy because you bounce away in many directions and they're quite sensitive about where you touch them. But being able to dash after the bounce gives you a lot of control.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

yeah the game gives you a fairly powerful dash & lots of chances to use it, but it's really gonna make you use it.

and then chapter 8 comes along and just flips the whole concept on its head

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Crow

Post by Crow »

you asked a question in the video description but i'm not gonna answer it.

also, you missed a lot in castle and then i don't think you missed a single thing in hotel, nice job :P
tomorrow's video is going to be really, really meaty if done according to the outlined plan, btw. just like with the main game all of these sections progressively get longer as the level goes on
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I mean I'm not gonna complain if they're one per then, that's just more celeste to play
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

there's a lot of celeste to play and i'm glad about it
it's your call tho, if you wanna keep going by the time you reach the temple section go right ahead
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

An update on this:
ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago There are two minor things you can do in the overworld:

1) If you hold down the pause button, you can tilt the camera a little bit.
2) When you open the crystal hearts page in Madeline's journal, you can rearrange the hearts.
I found out that it's actually the WASD keys that tilt the camera, and I had pause button set to A. By holding down these keys you can tilt the camera in different directions in the overworld. It's especially neat when you try this at the Summit because if you look down, you can see basically the entire mountain and its base from that side, which includes a river and a road that leads to the prologue house.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

I couldn't stop playing :O

so today's footage will be split between this evening and tomorrow !
Crow

Post by Crow »

too much fun achieved? :P
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

IMO chapter 7 is the best argument to save the B sides for the end. It's kind of like a proto B side for each previous chapter so it eases you in to what you might expect.

The End is Nigh was brought up earlier in this thread and I talked smack about it. My opinion of the game hasn't changed, but I think I would be interested in seeing raocow play it just to compare, because the two are similar in a few ways. TEIN is harder though I'd say, in parts.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Man... so many times raocow has an idea that is like "wow I wish I thought of that while looking for the secrets that fast" but is just a hair off that it's infuriating. No fault of his just cuz a lot of them are kinda "how" but it's hilarious where he has ideas like that... and then in the same episode has another "doing it the hard way" with the black up block strawberry, he tries to go down.

"Man it would be cool if a secret was hidden with this. *doesn't find the secret hidden with this*"
Last edited by Lostsoldier20 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

rao figured out the dash pattern needed to reach that gem wayyyyyy faster than I did. I was there for a while...

Also am I the only one who finds themselves instinctively pressing the dpad harder during the heavy wind sections? Gotta walk harder, you know?
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Crow

Post by Crow »

starting to wonder if we're gonna get two whole cleanup vids for this level because a LOT has been missed :lol:
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Youtube keeps recommending a video for me called "What Celeste borrows from Mario". Never mind that the entire game is basically Jumper-flavored Knytt Stories, or that this level here in particular borrows its central concept from Final Fantasy Legend, noooooo, it's always just Mario.
warpio

Post by warpio »

Well I do kind of think it takes a certain element from Mario's level design philosophy. The way that each level starts by teaching you the basics of some new mechanic in a very fluid and natural way before testing you further on that mechanic later in the level... Just like how 1-1 in SMB teaches you that you can both stomp on goombas and activate question blocks by placing the first goomba at a place where you're likely hit the question block and stomp on him by accident when you try to jump over him. I do kind of see a lot of that in Celeste.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Congratulations on reaching the summit. Now the real fun begins.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

❄️🥧❄️🍓❄️
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

Caught up again.
This game has really nice flow and knows how to use it.
Amping up speed with feathers, refresh gems and jump blobs.

Chapter 7 as a whole was platforming wise the most about actually climbing the mountain.
As we got higher up and especially the very last part going straight up the cliff-face that was very satisfying.
Focusing on that red flag, pushing you to the end.. so good.

I ended up really liking Badeline and I'm happy she and Maddy got their happy ending.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Why couldn't they be named Maddy and Lynn instead? I just can't get over Badeline.
warpio

Post by warpio »

I never thought of this before, but I wonder if that messenger bird is the old lady's alter mountain ego just like the one Maddy has.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I still like the name Badeline, I don't care how dumb it is. It sounds exactly like the name that side of maddy would give herself. Also nobody really mentioned it, and the game didn't hit you over the head with it super hard, but theo being trapped in the crystal probably had something to do with him losing his phone.

Remember when raocow theorized that the postgame was going to take place inside the mountain? Well...
raocow

Post by raocow »

anyone else hearing crackling in the audio of the video ? for a reason I was watching the one for tonight and there's this weird crackling sound. Does not appear on the video on my computer so I'm wondering if it's a youtube thing or what
Crow

Post by Crow »

yeah i just came in to ask about that, i thought my speakers were bugging out for a minute but no i get these cracklings and INCREDIBLY PAINFUL BEEPS at random throughout this one and it's making it super hard to watch
raocow

Post by raocow »

yeah I'm re-uploading right now, the original isn't like that. I wonder what caused this.
raocow

Post by raocow »

: alright, new video is up, no audio glitches it seems like