(shouting)

Celeste - Everest

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Nao
Pronouns: he

Re: Celeste - Masherbrum

Post by Nao »

warpio wrote: 5 years ago I can see at least 1-3 special level-unique gimmicks in every level of this game and I wouldn't really consider any level to be just "basic non-gimmick platforming". I think chapter 3 is generally about getting you better at wall clinging maneauvers by introducing the one-time climbing walls, enemies that move around in a certain rhythm, and a lot of situations where you need to learn how to jump around to the other side of the spikey/moldy wall you are clinging on without using a dash... It has just much of its own identity as Chapter 2 did with its dash-through blocks, and Chapter 1 did with its mechanical flinging platforms.
Yeah sure it has unique elements but they aren't as inventive as chapter 2's main gimmick, everything you mentioned can be found in most games of this genre, except for the one-time climbing platforms maybe which are arguably not as exciting. The level itself manages to be very exciting anyway, but for me most of that came from the storytelling. And, of course, from the way each individual room is set up - the leveldesign is excellent here just like in the rest of the game.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

With the Old Site behind us now, I have golden strawberry recorded for it (minor spoiler of a technical trick that you learn later but didn't really address it in the video at all)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

@RedMage good friggin' luck on chapter 3's this and

4B

are the last ones i see being remotely feasible for me to do and even then, this level is just.

linearly, it's over twice as long as the levels preceding it, for starters, and good call on stopping where you did today because tomorrow you'll definitely see what makes this level take as long as it does, yes

i like the story in this level a lot but strip that away and it has less happening gameplay-wise than the levels before and after it despite being one of the longer levels in the game, and i think i'd point to the upcoming section as a big reason why, but this style of platforming i in general don't like as much

but i mean, it's not a bad level by any means, just not one of my faves
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Nao wrote: 5 years ago Like, either i don't get the pictures or your sense of humor. Or both i guess :?

I love chapter 3 a lot. Seems to be a lot of people's least favourite chapter from what I've heard / read, because it's pretty long and mostly revolves around basic platforming (without a really special gimmick like the gloop boxes in chapter 2). However, the setting and storyline here are great and the level just keeps getting better and better from start to end. I'm excited for the following episode(s) and raocow's reactions for what's to come.
I genuinely wondered if I was bothering or confusing anyone, especially since the images tend to take up a lot of post space. If I get too carried away, people should let me know so I don't waste anyone else's time.

That said, aside from the weird ultrafuzzies being the prevalent level gimmick, story is definitely the strong point of this part. I guess I don't really mind it because it's used more than one or two ways?
Crow

Post by Crow »

my comment: I think the mega man/rabi ribi crossover posts were funny for a bit but doing one for every bid out of obligation + these two games not really being that much alike makes it make a lot less sense, but you do you if you wanna :P
maybe put them in a spoiler if post space is a concern
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

I like the gag images and want to see more of them.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The moving podoboos made this chapter more familiar like a typical platforming game with moving obstacles, after the more specialized first two chapters.

I also think it's absurd that a hotel is as large as the city in chapter 1.

About the second strawberry (spoiler tags for large screenshot):
The way I originally got this was by using the technique of

dashing horizontally on the ground and jumping during the dash. This allows you do a long jump at a fast speed, and if you wait long enough before jumping, you also get your dash back. I jumped this way from the elevated block in the other screen

to the mini-wall between Madeline and the strawberry, and then snatched the strawberry and dashed out. This would work without needing the screen transition.
S.N.N. wrote: 5 years ago I love it when games utilize tracks that start off with only one channel, and then gradually build up as the area goes on. In the case of chapter 3, it really brings about a great atmosphere.
If you listen to the OST there will be more of that, so enjoy
Crow

Post by Crow »

the entire soundtrack is multitracked like that to continuously do that kind of thing & it flows really well
like there's a few spots in chapter 1 where a lot of the instruments cut out on out-of-the-way screens

though some levels actually take away tracks as the level goes on instead, to great effect as well

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I am definitely a fan of the ongoing X and Zero's adventures in the B-side.

Not a big fan of Fuzzy Hotel myself, but it's where the difficulty begins to pick up and it's definitely not bad at all.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I also appreciate the X/Zero webcomic taking place in the B side.

I really need to get around to watching The Grand Budapest Hotel, because this is not at all how I imagined it being from the trailers.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Grand Budapest Hotel is a really good movie.

This level reminds me of The End Is Nigh, actually. You know, mold creatures on the wall...globs that zoom over flat surfaces...
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I think they're directly inspired by the "Betus" blobs and "Dust Bunnies" from Super Meat Boy. Of course TEIN is from the same dude, so it's no real surprise. But what they do really remind me of is the Negativus Legatia from Kero Blaster.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I did it, I beat Celeste :O
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

Did you spend most of the video playing Celeste, and not playing Celeste, then? :P
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I actually played Celeste and forgot about it long before I ever heard of Celeste, and was glad to re-discover the link between Celeste and Celeste. Celeste is great, and I'm glad that Celeste is in Celeste!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Giik

Post by Giik »

Wow those graphics sure got downgraded for the rest of that chapter, I didn't know it was gonna be the last one but indie games are weird like that i guess

/s
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

videogame within videogame across videogame within videogame

don't worry zero, you'll get your turn in a few hours

Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

Well, now I certainly want to see the Maverick Hunters just having a casual day off where they just hang out and play video games.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Celeste Mountain is actually only about 2000m tall, this game is officially non-canon to real life

also man you did a great job of overcomplicating things but to be fair the later screens of pico 8 are more in line with some of the b-sides than any of the main game,
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Chirei wrote: 5 years ago videogame within videogame across videogame within videogame

don't worry zero, you'll get your turn in a few hours

wow, the pico 8 has amazingly lifelike graphics
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago wow, the pico 8 has amazingly lifelike graphics
pico 1-7 had to be sacrificed to reach this pinnacle of tech
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

hey there everyone this is raocow playing JumpBox
ff2.png
ff2.png (57.81 KiB) Viewed 3783 times
I change this sig every year for Advent
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Arctangent wrote: 5 years ago Well, now I certainly want to see the Maverick Hunters just having a casual day off where they just hang out and play video games.
500 days since last Sigma sighting
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I think you would've had a better time using the arrow keys.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000