(shouting)

Celeste - Everest

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Celeste - Nanda Devi

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

peteyboo wrote: 5 years ago So I forgot this place existed again

In case you didn't see my comment on episode 4, you accidentally did a somewhat advanced technique during the Badeline sequence, and it is pretty useful for... almost everywhere lol. The game does teach you how to do this, but not until much later. Of course I won't directly spoil it but if you want a timestamp, it's at

13:09

Holy shit, I've 100%ed this game and was looking out for signs of that technique

, or the other hidden technique,

but didn't spot it. You have sharp eyes.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I'm amazed you found the crystal heart without finding the hint for it in the "awake" portion of the level. Persistence and careful attention to detail paid off!

he says in the same video where you self-admittedly spent 20 minutes missing a hallway.
Giik

Post by Giik »

That was...fast. I'm glad he figured out how to get that heart so quickly.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Yeah, I was gonna add to my Youtube comment but I'll do it here - hey raocow! Since I know you're unlikely to return there, there's a little something you missed up top in Awake (Old Site Chapter 3). It's not a collectable per se, but it's something neat that relates to "Resurrections", the heart you stumbled onto. It might be nice as a video opener, but no worries otherwise.

Great work finding that heart via boundary dash reset!
Parama wrote: 5 years ago fair warning, i'm not gonna say anything more but the crystal heart in stage 2 is imo the most obtuse one to get in the game so don't feel bad if you don't get it
:lol:
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

I've never liked the boundary reset jumping, it feels like a glitch to me using it. If it was a secret technique for speedrunning that'd be fair enough but to require it for a collectable just seems weird personally (especially when it's only chapter 2).
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

tirakai wrote: 5 years ago I've never liked the boundary reset jumping, it feels like a glitch to me using it. If it was a secret technique for speedrunning that'd be fair enough but to require it for a collectable just seems weird personally (especially when it's only chapter 2).
I mean, the crystal hearts seem less like you standard collectible and more like, say, the skulls from the Halo series, so ...
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

tirakai wrote: 5 years ago I've never liked the boundary reset jumping, it feels like a glitch to me using it. If it was a secret technique for speedrunning that'd be fair enough but to require it for a collectable just seems weird personally (especially when it's only chapter 2).

Boy oh boy, are you not gonna like when the shoe drops about Chapter 1.

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

To be fair, the hearts themselves are pretty obscure. You might not even find any of them by the time you "finish" the game. So personally, I think that the relative difficulty of finding each one compared to what chapter it's actually in isn't much of a consideration. They're all meant to be secrets, hidden away for only the most observant, persistent or inquisitive to find.

At least until later when you need them to access Chapter 8 and its variants.

Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

What a hilarious episode :D I'm looking forward to a longer one tomorrow though (unless you're gonna stop super early on in the next level, which I doubt will happen).
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

only a quickie today.

note for anyone watching/playing Xtreme 2: this picture will become coincidentally relevant with today's episode of that, maybe

First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

The Chapter 2 crystal heart is actually one of the ones I found without a guide... It might seem unintuitive, but if you notice that Madeline’s hair turns red again when crossing screen boundaries, it’s easy to put two-and-two together. (IIRC there’s also a strawberry later in the game that requires the same technique, which is how I learned it.)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

@raocow since you kinda asked, full clear just means getting all the strawberries + the b-side tape + the heart in a single run. every level is designed to make this possible and it can be a fun challenge to path everything out to do it as fast as possible

also impressed with how early you noticed the dash recharges between screens tbh, that took me a while
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The hint

poem

in the awake part of chapter 2 helps steer your search, but it doesn't actually talk about how to get there, and you don't even know where you're trying to go until you pull off the boundary trick. I guess though that the heart is in the

same general area as it was in awake section

What makes this heart obtuse is, once you discover the trick you might try it out there and elsewhere without the game signaling you, but until then you wouldn't know there's a place up there. I think it would be more of a visual cue if you could get on the long wall without the trick, so that the large ceiling above it is the first place to use it. Maybe put a signpost to continue scaling up in that screen too. Once you're at the wall/ceiling, even if you didn't realize the trick by that point, you might wonder "Can I keep going up?" and figure out the trick from trying to keep going. It's reaching that wall in the first place that's unintuitive the way it's designed now.
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

I swear, raocow never ceases to amaze me. Last time, I was yelling at my screen that the goo refreshes your dash, but this time, he finds that stupid heart all on his own. raocow, stop giving me whiplash! D:
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago
peteyboo wrote: 5 years ago So I forgot this place existed again

In case you didn't see my comment on episode 4, you accidentally did a somewhat advanced technique during the Badeline sequence, and it is pretty useful for... almost everywhere lol. The game does teach you how to do this, but not until much later. Of course I won't directly spoil it but if you want a timestamp, it's at

13:09

Holy shit, I've 100%ed this game and was looking out for signs of that technique

, or the other hidden technique,

but didn't spot it. You have sharp eyes.

Oddly enough, I found the other technique pretty early just because it seemed like a normal thing to do. I thought it was kinda funny when it was "revealed" in the very last level.

Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

10204307 wrote: 5 years ago The Chapter 2 crystal heart is actually one of the ones I found without a guide... It might seem unintuitive, but if you notice that Madeline’s hair turns red again when crossing screen boundaries, it’s easy to put two-and-two together.
The thing with me is you quickly see with chapter 1's first transition of screens... You end up getting dropped onto a safe place on transition. So if you don't notice it the first time through, you stop watching Madeline on transitions. It's always safe to stop watching her and start looking at the room ahead, seeing where any strawberries are, how you might want to tackle the room... And so on. Later in the game requiring it is another thing, but if its properly taught in some way, I'm all for it. Just naturally exploring for the heart, you're meant to find the hint and it's not that impossible to fine. With a location in mind, stopping the search til you learn "advanced techniques" is highly unlikely unless you get 100% burnt out

Also oh god next level... Such long. Such goodness. And the crystal heart took me longer to figure out than chapter 2 I think because of... unlisted reasons til raocow gets it.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
peteyboo

Post by peteyboo »

I never found this "hint" people are talking about. I don't even remember how I found the heart. Probably someone told me
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

well you are in luck I took a few minutes to show it off at the start of today's video :O
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I personally didn't think heart 3 was that difficult to find.

It doesn't require any special puzzles or figuring out a riddle. It's just an ordinary "find hidden item".

It was the first heart I found.
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Re: Celeste - Masherbrum

Post by Filbi »

All work and no play makes Maddy a dull girl.
I change this sig every year for Advent
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

nothing suspiciously blocked in that one room

no sir
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I love it when games utilize tracks that start off with only one channel, and then gradually build up as the area goes on. In the case of chapter 3, it really brings about a great atmosphere.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

checking in

Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

Chirei wrote: 5 years ago checking in

*large image here*
Like, either i don't get the pictures or your sense of humor. Or both i guess :?

I love chapter 3 a lot. Seems to be a lot of people's least favourite chapter from what I've heard / read, because it's pretty long and mostly revolves around basic platforming (without a really special gimmick like the gloop boxes in chapter 2). However, the setting and storyline here are great and the level just keeps getting better and better from start to end. I'm excited for the following episode(s) and raocow's reactions for what's to come.
warpio

Post by warpio »

I really like these X/Zero mountain climbing adventures, something really charming about it. I didn't think I'd be looking forward to reading the thread on this LP as much as I am the LP itself.

The black stuff in Chapter 3 I interpreted as mold creatures... like as if the hotel hasn't been cleaned in a really long time.

Nao wrote: 5 years ago I love chapter 3 a lot. Seems to be a lot of people's least favourite chapter from what I've heard / read, because it's pretty long and mostly revolves around basic platforming (without a really special gimmick like the gloop boxes in chapter 2).
I can see at least 1-3 special level-unique gimmicks in every level of this game and I wouldn't really consider any level to be just "basic non-gimmick platforming". I think chapter 3 is generally about getting you better at wall clinging maneauvers by introducing the one-time climbing walls, enemies that move around in a certain rhythm, and a lot of situations where you need to learn how to jump around to the other side of the spikey/moldy wall you are clinging on without using a dash... It has just much of its own identity as Chapter 2 did with its dash-through blocks, and Chapter 1 did with its mechanical flinging platforms.