(shouting)

Celeste - Everest

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Celeste (Pre-show) - Annapurna Massif

Post by ano0maly »

I got to 4 with keyboard without much problems, so we'll see

I don't know how

B-side and C-side

will fare yet
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago I may pick this one up to play along (like I did with Escape Goat 2). How's it perform using keyboard controls?
I have a friend who has done every area on keyboard and claims that it feels right with one. I'd say give it a shot.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I've played 40+ hours exclusively on keyboard & beat every stage multiple times so uhhh yeah it's fine on keyboard
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
Pronouns: he/him/his
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Xbox One's d-pad seemed easier on me than the Switch's Pro Controller for this game, but keyboard is probably the way to go here. Lot of accidental deaths where I wanted to boost straight up and the pad thought that meant up/left or up/right.
raocow wrote: 4 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 4 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Giik

Post by Giik »

Yeah, keyboard seems to be the best bet with 8-direction precision, since you can, y'know, hold two directions at the same time instead of just kinda hoping you're holding the stick diagonal or cardinal
i got it on the switch though so i don't have much of a choice for control scheme unfortunately
I got up to

5-C

before deciding that was too hard for me though so hey i got pretty far

The issues I had with this actually got me wondering on an alternate control scheme to fix the issue of 8-direction stick precision, like, what if it was cardinals-only, but holding LB or something made it diagonals only? it'd be worth a try in prototyping at least
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

I wonder why the keyboard has such a bad rap anyways? It's the only device that gives you all the input freedom you want without having to do a bunch of fancy thumb gymnastics. I can never back to the SNES controller for SMW hacks, even.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Zach808 wrote: 5 years ago I wonder why the keyboard has such a bad rap anyways? It's the only device that gives you all the input freedom you want without having to do a bunch of fancy thumb gymnastics. I can never back to the SNES controller for SMW hacks, even.
I feel it largely depends on keyboard. Some keyboards are too stiff, or can't register input from multiple (specific) keys being held down at one time. I think this is largely mitigated by Z/X being the default for a lot of these kinds of games, but if you need more, or don't like playing with that specific area of the keyboard, it gets hairy.
Crow

Post by Crow »

imo

5-C

is the hardest level of the game and the ones after it are easy in comparison (though still pretty hard ofc) but yeah

The thing about this game is I didn't mind spending an hour on

7-C

because it felt learnable and every death felt 100% like my fault & I've gone back and driven my time on that level down to like 2:30 since, so, yeah, the type of difficulty this game presents is handled really well even at its hardest moments.

That being said,

8-B

just has an absolute truckload of bs in it e.e;
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

hahaha, oh man hype
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

i've been hyped for this for months tbh
and we get hollow knight right after or soon after or whatever too like wow this is a good year for cow-raoing
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

not for those of us who haven't played em yet but still want to
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago not for those of us who haven't played em yet but still want to
Yeah, I'll have to sit out the next two for exactly this reason :< See you all for JIGGLY ZONE!
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I'm on the fence for this game because I really don't enjoy platformers that get absurdly hard and all talk I heard so far was "look at this absurd shit, haha I'll still gonna get it tho". I'll take a look at how it presents itself and maybe stop watching and start playing :).

I do know that I'll play Hollow Knight at some point so that'll deffo have to be a later-watch. Or I'll get it if it's cheap soon...
sylvie

Post by sylvie »

I think the main story's difficulty is below average for this style of platformer (i.e., the style with very precise jumps and one-hit deaths, compensated for by frequent checkpoints, quick respawn and infinite lives), and if you get really stuck there's an "Assist Mode" that lets you tweak various settings to make the game a bit easier (or to just give yourself invincibility and infinite dashes). The secret unlockable chapters are significantly harder than the main story, but the main story itself is a complete experience.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

I'd say the main game is pretty good with its difficulty curve overall. The real absurd stuff is in the side and postgame content. (edit: whoops, ninja'd)

Oh, also, cowrao, apologies if someone's already mentioned this but don't worry about revisiting levels to get stuff you missed the first time around. It'd be best to handle the cleanup like you did in WL2 for reasons that'll become clear further into the LP.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

HOT TAKE this game feels really nice to just play around with
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

the main game is not really that hard if you just play the main path, the a-side levels can have some tough stuff when collecting berries though but i still would say it's not really at the same level as the b-sides

i also don't really feel like the level design is "absurd" often, more just "challenging but reasonable", which is a big reason i like the b-sides a lot in general (except

3B and 8B can screw off

)
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Oh, yeah, like, it's not absurd absurd, just like, the kind of stuff you take one look at and say to yourself "hoo boy, this part's gonna take me a bit."
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Personally I played levels in this order:

1A, 1B, 2A, 2B ... 7A, 8A, 7B, 8B, 1C - 8C

, that is,
alternating A and B sides, and getting 100% Strawberry/Heart completion on each A side immediately after my first A-side run - until the very end where Summit B-side is a Problem, and then of course all the C-sides last. 7C is something else.
I'm not sure this is a recommended or ideal order, but it worked out for me because I liked the alternating A-B, A-B difficulty curve a lot.
And yes, the core of the game isn't soul-crushingly hard. People just fixate on those optional challenges.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Since the Main Game of Celeste is dubbed the "A-Side", is it being released on raocow's a-side slot? :P
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
First name: Violet

Post by 10204307 »

Yeah, I feel like most of the game isn't really that difficult. The A-side level that gave me the most problems was Chapter 3, and that was mostly because my keyboard wasn't registering up-left dashes properly for some reason, which hadn't been an issue until one specific screen near the end of that level. (I ended up having to switch to WASD to fix it, which took a lot of getting used to.)

The B-sides are hard, but not masochistically so, and you generally can get past them if you apply yourself hard enough. I don't even remember what

8B

is like, so it's strange seeing so many people call it one of the harder ones...

3B

is the one that gave me the most trouble.

And 3C is where I stopped playing the game, after trying to beat the final screen for four hours.

warpio

Post by warpio »

AuraLancer wrote: 5 years ago I haven't finished this game yet, so I'll probably end up dropping the LP early on.
I will give a warning though - I started playing this on a Switch Pro controller and the dpad was a nightmare. Be careful about what you use to play it with!
In my experience, using the analog stick for movement (either with the pro controller or split joycons or whatever PC controller you prefer to use for 3D games) was the best way to play Celeste for me. I got through all the

B and C side levels

using that control method. And with all the quick diagonal precision you need throughout the late game in general, I don't know if I'd have been able to get through it with D-pad controls without tiring my thumbs out far more quickly.
Crow

Post by Crow »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago Personally I played levels in this order:

1A, 1B, 2A, 2B ... 7A, 8A, 7B, 8B, 1C - 8C

yeah this is actually how i played it but on replays i've preferred to just go straight through the maingame & do the b-sides in a row later
that also helped me see the difficulty curve present in each of them pretty well instead of having this zigzag wibbly wobbly curve :P
also i agree that

3B

is a pain but i just don't care for the main mechanics of chapter 3 in general, probably the only core mechanics set in the game i'm meh on, every other level has a great set

i would still suggest the straight thru the maingame then thru the b-sides after level order just because raocow did the same for meatboy & that seemed to work out well for him, and this game has an even smaller disconnect between the hardest a-side and easiest b-side anyways, it's more an extension of the difficulty curve than anything

also i can't imagine playing celeste on a controller tbh because having multiple fingers for the keyboard directions just feels so natural to me. i 107%ed super meat boy & SSed the entire maingame of dustforce with the same keyboard control set tho so i'm basically just a keyboard buff

that being said there are definitely some kinds of games best played with analog control (any 3D platformer, for starters)
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Celeste - Chomo Lonzo

Post by ano0maly »

good page 2