(shouting)

Super Mario Doomsday - Turning Off The Matrix

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - Daleks in the Sky with Diamonds

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote: 5 years agoI went through like ten different revisions during the DT3 lp and it was made in game maker :I
A better example would be DT1 and, I think, DT2 since those were made on old versions of GameMaker too. DT3 was in Studio if I recall correctly (I may be mistaken, it's been awhile) which is overall superior to GM8.
sylvie wrote: 5 years agoI wonder if AAA developers have certain practices they follow to build more robust save systems for their monster games, or if they just rely on having huge paid QA teams.
Often depends on the game. A lot of games just do a memory snapshot because it's so complicated. Just with more control over that save system they can implement migrations still.
ZephyrBurst wrote: 5 years agoGot pointed to this thread. The DT games did not use Game Maker's built in save system as I find it essentially unusable. Basically all games that I know of made in any version of Game Maker just use its text file writing functions, which is all DT did.
In GMS/GMS2 people tend to use the ini functions from what I've seen since those better support a proper save system. (Unless that's the function you were referring to in which case oops!)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Alice wrote: 5 years agoDT3 was in Studio if I recall correctly
nope

I will add that I honestly liked the Lost Caverns level with the koopas with guns, but then I didn't like seeing the glitches and inconsistent mechanics like shells going through them. Bullet Canyon, too, I liked until you ran out of the star and lost Yoshi in the middle of the muncher zone. There were things that either I clearly liked or clearly didn't like in the video.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Wow I've posted in this thread exactly once up to this point.

I'd personally prefer to see raocow take this game to the end (or as close as is reasonable), if only for completion's sake. It certainly has its share of jank, and some questionable design choices here and there, but the core of the game is interesting enough that I'm interested in seeing more.

So hopefully we don't hit strike three, is what I'm saying.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years agonope
Ah, now that I think on it I may be confusing that with me having discussed the idea with Zephyr at one point.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

i get the feeling the conversation we just had on save systems became waaay too relevant just now
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

seems to me that the request "hey raocow please play my game" was in fact - unintentionally and inadvertently - "hey raocow please playTEST my game"
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

that was tragic.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Implo

Post by Implo »

I completely forgot about this switch. I'm surprised that you even managed to flip it at the beginning of video, raocow. For me it was unusable from the beginning. I found it by a complete mistake but in order to acivate this switch you need to perform DUCK JUMP.

Also at this level, I found out that if you get a goal and afterwards time limit will count 0, then nothing happens, you just beat the level.

In this level yellow koopas are crazy and they are the biggest danger. Aside this problematic switch, I really liked this level.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I feel like around 20 minutes into any given session, the screws come out and the wheels fall off. This game either has some bit of timer logic that is going utterly haywire, or some kind of... non-terminal memory leak where event triggers are breaking after a certain number are used? Just speculating wildly here.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I actually remember watching a video of this level... here it is from the creator's channel.

As I said yesterday, you should just stop the let's play now and wait until BuzzNBen provides a patch and a save, because even if there's a fix, you can't use it without a save, remember?
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Pyramid of the Dollar
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
churine

Post by churine »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago [a video of this level]
watching this makes me think something isn't working on raocow's end with the physics?
Mario seems to get p-speed far more easily in there, and coupled with how raocow keps losing horizontal momentum (and so jump height) I wonder if the game just isn't detecting him running for some reason or something
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I mentioned this before, but when I briefly played I noticed Mario would lose running speed when turning around sometimes, so I would have to repress Run.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
sylvie

Post by sylvie »

It might be possible to work around various issues with this version of the game by running it in "debug mode", which makes a little debug window appear with various functions, notably being able to execute arbitrary code with Ctrl+E. Debug mode is normally disabled in Game Maker EXEs, but for GM8.0 games like this one, you can activate it by modifying the EXE in a hex editor: change offset 0x1E848B from 00 to 01. Then the developer of the game could tell raocow the necessary code to do things like force-toggle a broken switch, warp past mysterious invisible walls, etc. It would be really awkward, but probably easier than manually reconstructing raocow's save file by replaying the game.

(I learned about the existence of the debug flag from this document, and the correct offset to change from the source code for this GM8.x decompiler.)
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Is it just me, or did the ordeal of getting this game to run in the first place seem to be a REALLY bad omen? If it takes that much effort to get it running in the first place, something might have gon horrifically wrong.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

Zach808 wrote: 5 years ago Is it just me, or did the ordeal of getting this game to run in the first place seem to be a REALLY bad omen? If it takes that much effort to get it running in the first place, something might have gon horrifically wrong.
This seems to be a fairly common consensus among all but one person actively posting in this thread (no guesses who). The game not running without going through hoops should've been a sign.

As it stands I really feel like Voltgloss has it right:
Voltgloss wrote: seems to me that the request "hey raocow please play my game" was in fact - unintentionally and inadvertently - "hey raocow please playTEST my game"
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Those aren't the only demos raocow's played ... why does everyone forget about "The Mario"
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago Those aren't the only demos raocow's played ... why does everyone forget about "The Mario"
Demos that aren't expected to finish in the foreseeable future don't count here, though
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

alright so I said something I shouldn't say but doomsday is gonna end by author request
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Giik

Post by Giik »

raocow wrote: alright so I said something I shouldn't say but doomsday is gonna end by author request
That's too bad, but I can understand why. Trudging through the jank to get to the supposed "good parts" later on. Here's hoping the dev guy gets back to you on a fixed version.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

so new game tomorrow, or the next day?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

F
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Welp, looks I was the first to open the floodgates of "Was this worth it?" Sorry bout that.

I think it's appropriate to drop this here from the 1st post of the Request Grab-Bag
Argumentable wrote: Hey, guys. It's nice that you want to suggest a game and everything, but there are a few that get repeated postings that raocow has said before that he will not play. Here's a handy list for all of you guys out there so I have an excuse to yell at you when you post them

DO NOT SUGGEST
-Minecraft
-Cave Story
-RPGs
-YOUR romhack/game (Unless it's really really amazing and you have people who aren't your friends or yourself that agree)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Welp, looks I was the first to open the floodgates of "Was this worth it?" Sorry bout that.

I think it's appropriate to drop this here from the 1st post of the Request Grab-Bag
Argumentable wrote: Hey, guys. It's nice that you want to suggest a game and everything, but there are a few that get repeated postings that raocow has said before that he will not play. Here's a handy list for all of you guys out there so I have an excuse to yell at you when you post them

DO NOT SUGGEST
-Minecraft
-Cave Story
-RPGs
-YOUR romhack/game (Unless it's really really amazing and you have people who aren't your friends or yourself that agree)
To be fair, if you didn't open the floodgates, someone else would have.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

While the game was unfortunately held back by glitchiness and some wonky physics in the engine, there really was a lot of interesting stuff to see in the level design and overall presentation, especially once the story/exposition stuff in the early game took more of a backseat to the gameplay. I'd be interested to see what the author could do in a more reliable engine. It's too bad the LP had to end this way, but I still think it was worth watching every day and still showcased some of the design things Ben did well even when the flaws elicited more reaction.

Also, I think raocow technically beat the game since Bowser, et al never did get ahold of that key.