(shouting)

Super Mario Doomsday - Turning Off The Matrix

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/it/its

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - Human-Machine Intelligence Singularity

Post by Classtoise »

This Eye o' Mine wrote: 5 years ago Hint systems tend to strike as something that a lot of players forget about completely in games where it exists. even if they are told in-universe that it's important or useful in some way. This could be due to precedents set by Nintendo games, which most players that are playing this are probably going to be reminded of. I'm thinking especially Zelda, since the good doctor here reminds me of the fortune tellers from those games with his crystal ball, but also the Sheikah stones from Zelda and the super guides from recent Mario games to some extent.
These hint systems are overall intended as a guide for newer players, or maybe as a last resort for more experienced players who are completely stuck. Also, I know at least one of these games has actually punished completionists for use of these guides (I think it was NSMB Wii that permanently revoked a completion mark on your save file?).

As a result, I think many players, especially the experienced ones likely to play a game like this, have come to perceive hint systems as 'not for them'. They might even feel that their gaming cred is personally being offended by the offer of hints to the point of blocking its existence out of their experience of the game. I can remember some of the backlash against the Sheikah stones in SS and OoT 3DS, with some people saying stuff along the lines of "no, we don't acknowledge its existence" when it comes up on screen.

Not saying these kinds of hint/guide systems have no place in video games, or that you have to agree with how people are treating them, but this trend looks like something that could make the forest situation a huge sticking point for some players.
Also, hints that you have to backtrack to the first world and hunt down aren't useful or helpful. Especially not when their sole purpose is "Hey you probably noticed this jank-ass glaring flaw in the game. Surprise it's just a badly explained puzzle!"

I think this game needs a lot of work and a good solid test. It's got a good framework but it's clearly not done.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - AI Takeover Apocalypse

Post by Alice »

"I need p-speed for this jump" says raocow for a jump that's a tile higher than he's reaching while making use of the one tile higher ledge slightly to the left in his attempt to reach p-speed but not using it for a one tile boost. And of course he somehow bullheaded his way into succeeding at the jump his way after several extraneous attempts rather than learning his lesson as per usual.
Paragraph

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - Pole shift hypothesis

Post by Paragraph »

Well I didn't expect that
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I've long since lost any patience I had for checkpoint starvation difficulty.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

AuraLancer wrote: 5 years ago I've long since lost any patience I had for checkpoint starvation difficulty.
relevance? the level wasn't really difficult; getting the coins again is inconvenient but not arduous or egregious considering how the boss is just ludwig
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Implo

Post by Implo »

For me these 2 levels were quite easy. Then again I always start the level with double leaf. I never managed to find a way to dodge first Thwomp. I also missed star so I beat this section hard way.

As for hammers they are quite weak. They are useful though when you want to kill something above you. Also sometimes it's important in what part of enemy body you throw them. For example if you throw hammer on Charlie head then it will bounce without hurting him. That's because they have helmets. But if you throw hammer at their foot then thay will die from 1 hit.

As for koopalings I noticed something during my gameplay. After first shot, if you don't hurt them in time, there should be second shot. But what they do is just animation and there is no projectile being throwed.

Also for people who want to play newest 2.0 version and 100% the game and get a reward for that. I tried that. Unfortunately in level called Cheap Cheap Seabed there is no way to get fifth Dragon Coin. raocow showed in his video that you need to get all red coins from a ring in order to get P-switch. The reward for doing that in 2.0 is 1up though. And I checked the whole level 10 times. But never found another way to get a P-switch. So I'm pretty sure there is no way to get 100%.
BuzzNBen
First name: Ben

Post by BuzzNBen »

Implo wrote: 5 years ago Also for people who want to play newest 2.0 version and 100% the game and get a reward for that. I tried that. Unfortunately in level called Cheap Cheap Seabed there is no way to get fifth Dragon Coin. raocow showed in his video that you need to get all red coins from a ring in order to get P-switch. The reward for doing that in 2.0 is 1up though. And I checked the whole level 10 times. But never found another way to get a P-switch. So I'm pretty sure there is no way to get 100%.

Check around this spot in Cheep Cheep Seabed. After the 2.0 update, I moved the Pswitch to where the hidden starman used to be. It's still possible to get into that secret room to collect the last dragon coin.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I started playing today and on Cheep Cheep Seabed it marked me as having collected all the Dragon Coins after collecting only two of them, but I have zero idea what could have caused that.
Implo

Post by Implo »

Thanks for the hint regarding this super well hidden P-switch, BuzzNBen. But in today session something weird has happened. It saved my 4 Dragon Coins but in this session respawn all of them. So after colecting the first one I got all Dragon Coins.

I also noticed more annoying problem. In 2 levels so far: second level in the game and World 5 Castle. In these 2 levels I got all Dragon Coins and it saved. But after few sessions with the game these Dragon Coins has magically deactivated, so I was forced to redo them. I believe the problem also occurs in 2.0. At least for the second level in the game it happened to me.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

It's more of an aside comment.
Sebby19

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - an alien named Ashtar

Post by Sebby19 »

With how janky and broken these physics are... I apoligize for being mean here: Was it worth the effort to get this game running on Rao's computer?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago With how janky and broken these physics are... I apoligize for being mean here: Was it worth the effort to get this game running on Rao's computer?
I still very much appreciate a game like this being played on this channel, and I hope the author takes all the criticism and ribbing to be in good nature. Making a good game is pretty difficult, especially when you have something as complex as Mario physics to live up to. Still, I understand the desire to make something new and special, even if the result is sub-par in overall quality. That's how you learn what makes this stuff work, and get closer to making something good in the future. It's also interesting to the viewer, to me at least, to see where the stumbling blocks are in game design, because it also highlights what does work. And honestly, I don't think most of us are watching raocow's channel to see top-notch games being played in the first place.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

This Eye o' Mine wrote: 5 years agoIt's also interesting to the viewer, to me at least, to see where the stumbling blocks are in game design, because it also highlights what does work.
Like, for example, how few platformers actually implement jump attacks by making them happen when the player directly lands on an enemy - that ends up actually being way more precise than you'd expect, so a lot of games "flub" it by requiring only colliding with the upper percentage of an enemy's hitbox, or colliding with an enemy with downward momentum while not being too far below it, or just making a jump attack give the player a state with a hurtbox where it doesn't matter how they collide with the enemy, ala Sonic and I think Kirby games ( y'know, when he falls for long enough that he flips upside down ).
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

For a game so front-loaded with story scenes, there's a surprising amount of "no explanation given for suddenly going to space" happening here.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

this game ... doesn't work
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

This Eye o' Mine wrote: 5 years ago And honestly, I don't think most of us are watching raocow's channel to see top-notch games being played in the first place.
Hey, I will fight to defend the honor of my Titty Touhou Metroidvania game. :(
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

so tomorrow's video is just kind of a trainwreck. get hyped?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Well, that depends. Is the game a trainwreck or are you the trainwreck? Or both? All three are different levels of entertainment, after all.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Did you crash into Galaxy Express 999?

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

try to think of all ways different trains can wreck
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago try to think of all ways different trains can wreck
I started looking for "humorous" train wreck images to respond to this but I just wound up baffled and depressed
BuzzNBen
First name: Ben

Post by BuzzNBen »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago so tomorrow's video is just kind of a trainwreck. get hyped?
So the game crashed and you had to play The Moon level all over again, right? *sigh*
I don't know what to tell you except go back to the main path for a bit.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I'm so sorry that this lp is clearly not going the way you where imagining it would :(
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago With how janky and broken these physics are... I apoligize for being mean here: Was it worth the effort to get this game running on Rao's computer?
Absolutely.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - Large Hadron Collider Redefining the Vacuum

Post by Kilgamayan »

I do also feel bad for Ben for how this has gone so far, and particularly for how directly negative people have been.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image