(shouting)

Super Mario Doomsday - Turning Off The Matrix

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - Large Hadron Collider Black Hole

Post by Voltgloss »

BuzzNBen wrote: 5 years ago I should probably mention this before I forget. I highly recommend going back to Toad Town before you complete World 2 (it'll say in the Statistics Menu what world you are in) and talk to Dr. Toadley again. Remember, he'll say something new after every world you complete.
I was about to ask "does the game communicate this to the player" but then I went and rewatched Episode 1, and yup, a Toad told raocow that Toadley has more information to share every time a world is completed. Checks out.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

You know, I was a bit skeptical about the use of Super Mario Advance voice clips in this game at first, but with respect to Mario clipping through the ground and plunging headlong in to the abyss today, I must concede that the words "Ooooooooh, mamma mia!" were never more on point.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

this was a defense of sebby because someone was being a butt the post is gone now so this just serves as an explanation
Last edited by Grounder 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 5 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago I don't think Mini Mario running up walls is actually in this game. That function was exclusive to NSMB.U. The next game, NSMB 2, just had the other abilities (fit in tight spaces/pipes, floaty jumps, run on water, can't kill without groundpound)
NSMBU was after NSMB2
I check Mario Wiki, and yup, you're right. Aug 2012 and Nov 2012. Can you blame me for being confused? :mrgreen:
Grounder wrote:ping
thanks for the defense Grounder, though there is now no need to immortalize that quote anymore. Thanks
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow is just never going to get used to the game is he

also, 10/10 p-switch spawning and rip van fish hitboxes
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
S.N.N.

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - Global Solar EMP Event

Post by S.N.N. »

I'd be really curious to hear dev commentary on some of these levels. Like, the level design has been just fine so far - mostly - but there are so many glaringly obvious and easy-to-fix issues that lead me to question whether or not this was tested at all (the P-Switch spawning in the wall is a huge one).
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

I'd be really curious to hear dev commentary on some of these levels.
Not because the levels are bad in any way but because I really like reading dev commentary.
No worries if you don't feel like it though.
BuzzNBen
First name: Ben

Post by BuzzNBen »

Veruchai wrote: 5 years ago I'd be really curious to hear dev commentary on some of these levels.
Not because the levels are bad in any way but because I really like reading dev commentary.
S.N.N. wrote: 5 years ago I'd be really curious to hear dev commentary on some of these levels. Like, the level design has been just fine so far - mostly - but there are so many glaringly obvious and easy-to-fix issues that lead me to question whether or not this was tested at all (the P-Switch spawning in the wall is a huge one).
Honestly, I've been thinking about it and if enough people are also interested, it might be worth doing. I'd like to be able to explain the reasons for alot of the choices I've made as well as sacrifices I had to make

for my own sanity

Like for example (since this game started development around late 2011/early 2012) the levels themselves have drastically changed. I made most of the early game levels years ago back when I had a different level design philosophy than I do now, but might have went back to it to fix it up a bit. One level might have been made in 2013, the next two in 2015, etc.

Also the addition of Luigi, new powerups, cutscenes, and the engine itself. All of this might be also be interesting to do dev commentary on.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

BuzzNBen wrote: 5 years ago
Veruchai wrote: 5 years ago I'd be really curious to hear dev commentary on some of these levels.
S.N.N. wrote: 5 years ago I'd be really curious to hear dev commentary on some of these levels. Like, the level design has been just fine so far - mostly - but there are so many glaringly obvious and easy-to-fix issues that lead me to question whether or not this was tested at all (the P-Switch spawning in the wall is a huge one).
Honestly, I've been thinking about it and if enough people are also interested, it might be worth doing. I'd like to be able to explain the reasons for alot of the choices I've made as well as sacrifices I had to make

for my own sanity

Like for example (since this game started development around late 2011/early 2012) the levels themselves have drastically changed. I made most of the early game levels years ago back when I had a different level design philosophy than I do now, but might have went back to it to fix it up a bit. One level might have been made in 2013, the next two in 2015, etc.

Also the addition of Luigi, new powerups, cutscenes, and the engine itself. All of this might be also be interesting to do dev commentary on.
I'd be interested.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
FusionWarrior

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - Successfully Dividing By Zero

Post by FusionWarrior »

At this point, all levels will be 100% blind to me. I did not personally test past this point.

Stupid thumbs.
ImageImage
Voltgloss

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - Successfully Dividing By Zero

Post by Voltgloss »

I applaud the "eschew dragon coins" decision.

(Hopefully the game isn't going to pull a "you need all the dragon coins to actually beat the game" at the end)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - Low Orbit Debris Saturation Point

Post by SAJewers »

not a fan of secret exits, and today's video didn't win me over.

Also, I think that first red springboard you somehow killed with a fireball?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

No, it looks to me like it was on a timer like he said, I didn't notice what happened the first time but the second time I definitely saw it starting to fade out.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Cosmo Fishhawk

Post by Cosmo Fishhawk »

The timer keeps going while you read text boxes.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

that's just being realist

next episode I'm gonna ask for ideas re: a secret exit, but during editing I think I might have figured it out
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

One thing that's been bugging me is how the day-night cycle doesn't seem to have any effect on the levels. Like, not even swapping out the backgrounds of outside levels for night variants. Why.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

So, according to the YT comments, you need all the dragon coins to the real ending. Joy.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago So, according to the YT comments, you need all the dragon coins to the real ending. Joy.
This would be good for the creator to confirm.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/it/its

Post by Classtoise »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago So, according to the YT comments, you need all the dragon coins to the real ending. Joy.
Like all levels or just a special ending.

Also said it on YT but it bears repeating; calling out the failings of something is rarely, if ever, as funny as you think it is. It's almost always better to just fix it.

Like you can generally count on one hand the number of times "Haha this is a plot hole/it's broken/the Creator got lazy!!" Works.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
BuzzNBen
First name: Ben

Post by BuzzNBen »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago
This would be good for the creator to confirm.
Yes, you need all the dragon coins to "100% the game" but not to beat it regularly. It unlocks a final bonus level which requires you to go to Toad Town, talk to the yellow Toad by the bridge, and take a key he gives you to unlock that door in the Infirmary.

However, if it makes you feel any better, I'll probably end up sending him a completed save file so he doesn't have to collect all of them (I would like to see him find the other collectibles though).
First name: Violet

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - Missingno. kills a Comic Reviewer

Post by 10204307 »

This should shed some light on what was up with that boss:

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - Missingno. kills a Comic Reviewer

Post by Leet »

Of all the Mario deep cuts to make, Stuffy...
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
FusionWarrior

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - Grey Goo Ecophagy

Post by FusionWarrior »

Well that was a hidden exit...
ImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Super Mario Doomsday - Grey Goo Ecophagy

Post by Leet »

It really seems like it would be very easy to find if raocow had been committed to checking the place more thoroughly the first (or second, etc.) time through; in that mindset, the player would see the one-way flippers and choose to go back to explore the door maze some more.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.