(shouting)

Rabi-Ribi - Dolphin Room

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Rabi-Ribi - Dark King's Lair

Post by Grounder »

is this the dark souls of collection maps?!?!?!?!?!?!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Yeah no the only time it's helpful is if you're looking at a map on the internet and comparing it to your own to fill out everything else. It's dumb imo
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

so i guess raocow plans to spend the entire game tanking through bosses with health items rather than learning boss attacks and patterns, alright :lol:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

raocow wrote:...so there are holes in the floor now (moves to next room, checks map), and I've already been there.
Err, no raocow, you have NOT been below the boss room. Look again.

So today's first new hammer attack said you can use it after a slide, and after a jump. I wondered the jump version looked like, but I guess we'll never see it since he has the hammer flip now.

I also saw something sparkly at your character's house, in the black area.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

there is no version after a jump, or if there is i have no clue how to use it & i've had it for like 66%+ of my total play time so
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Mea

Post by Mea »

Ah I see it all makes sense now. Cicini's pants were lost in the vortex between worlds during her warp. She tried buying new ones but no one sells them in Rabiland!
warpio

Post by warpio »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago
raocow wrote:...so there are holes in the floor now (moves to next room, checks map), and I've already been there.
Err, no raocow, you have NOT been below the boss room. Look again.

So today's first new hammer attack said you can use it after a slide, and after a jump. I wondered the jump version looked like, but I guess we'll never see it since he has the hammer flip now.

I also saw something sparkly at your character's house, in the black area.
When they said you could use it after a jump, they didn't mean a "jump" jump. They meant like, you can slide off of a ledge and you'll still be sliding as you fall and then use the hammer throw to give yourself kind of a midair jump after you've started falling. I think it's actually required for some collectibles.

for one thing, I know raocow could've actually used that slide jump to get to a ledge that he fell past in today's video.

tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Yeah I think the map is this game is probably one of the worst in metroidvania games. I remember early on it didn't have an indication of a room you hadn't fully went through yet or something, it's pretty useless for collection.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Man I feel like I'm smoking the crazy pills, I genuinely prefer this map to HONK THERE'S AN ITEM HERE HONK in "exploration" games! I much prefer a map that tells me what I've done to what I haven't done, and there's area collection totals which tells you hey, you're missing 2 things in this area, maybe you should search the remaining rooms that you haven't picked up stuff in yet? And bomb/interact with suspicious surfaces? I've never liked the approach of "YUP THERE'S AN ITEM IN THIS EXACT ROOM, JUST USE EVERY TOOL YOU HAVE UNTIL IT SHOWS UP". It's not like there's no guidelines, or no indication of what you've done or no indication of when you've cleared an area, it's just not straight-up telling you where stuff is hidden because it's... hidden.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

So, as a fair warning to viewers and player alike, the one particular "egregious" scene people were discussing in the request grab bag thread (the one linked here) will be in the next video that advances the plot, which may very well be today's. (There is nothing explicit, either described or visualized, but sexual harassment is used as a humor device.) For those that find this sort of thing distasteful, feel free to skip over the scene in question, as you don't really lose anything meaningful in the way of plot. I'll do my best to provide time stamps when I update the thread, if no one else has yet done so.

EDIT: To be clear, when I mean there is "nothing explicit", I mean that there is no outright NSFW content (at least not beyond what the characters normally wear). Erina and Ribbon are unmistakably sexually harassed, however.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
warpio

Post by warpio »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago Man I feel like I'm smoking the crazy pills, I genuinely prefer this map to HONK THERE'S AN ITEM HERE HONK in "exploration" games! I much prefer a map that tells me what I've done to what I haven't done, and there's area collection totals which tells you hey, you're missing 2 things in this area, maybe you should search the remaining rooms that you haven't picked up stuff in yet? And bomb/interact with suspicious surfaces? I've never liked the approach of "YUP THERE'S AN ITEM IN THIS EXACT ROOM, JUST USE EVERY TOOL YOU HAVE UNTIL IT SHOWS UP". It's not like there's no guidelines, or no indication of what you've done or no indication of when you've cleared an area, it's just not straight-up telling you where stuff is hidden because it's... hidden.
I'm kind of with you on this, but I can see both ways being good depending on the game. The standard linear Zelda games include a compass item that shows you where all of the chests are in the dungeon, and in that case it's good because you really want to get all of the chests to make sure you've done everything that the dungeon has to offer, and there's no reason to ever go back to that dungeon again. But in big open world exploration games, I find it misses the point when it dots out all of the things there are to do on the map and it just becomes a game of zigzagging to all of the things without having to pay attention and learn your way around.

Like in the case of Zelda Breath of the Wild, the game is definitely better off for not giving you any information on its overworld map besides the terrain and the shrines/koroks that you've already found. The sense of discovery and rewarding feeling whenever you find something would be ruined if it were shown on the map before you discovered it.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago Man I feel like I'm smoking the crazy pills, I genuinely prefer this map to HONK THERE'S AN ITEM HERE HONK in "exploration" games! I much prefer a map that tells me what I've done to what I haven't done, and there's area collection totals which tells you hey, you're missing 2 things in this area, maybe you should search the remaining rooms that you haven't picked up stuff in yet? And bomb/interact with suspicious surfaces? I've never liked the approach of "YUP THERE'S AN ITEM IN THIS EXACT ROOM, JUST USE EVERY TOOL YOU HAVE UNTIL IT SHOWS UP". It's not like there's no guidelines, or no indication of what you've done or no indication of when you've cleared an area, it's just not straight-up telling you where stuff is hidden because it's... hidden.
Yeah I completely agree, especially since most items in this game aren't too hard to find in the first place

and because of one particular powerup you get later

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

the item marking system the game uses is super pointless, imo

when you backtrack to get old items that you saw but couldnt get to, you want reminders, not to fumble around blindly until you get to the specific spot.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years agoMan I feel like I'm smoking the crazy pills, I genuinely prefer this map to HONK THERE'S AN ITEM HERE HONK in "exploration" games! I much prefer a map that tells me what I've done to what I haven't done, and there's area collection totals which tells you hey, you're missing 2 things in this area, maybe you should search the remaining rooms that you haven't picked up stuff in yet? And bomb/interact with suspicious surfaces? I've never liked the approach of "YUP THERE'S AN ITEM IN THIS EXACT ROOM, JUST USE EVERY TOOL YOU HAVE UNTIL IT SHOWS UP". It's not like there's no guidelines, or no indication of what you've done or no indication of when you've cleared an area, it's just not straight-up telling you where stuff is hidden because it's... hidden.
What Grounder said is exactly why I completely disagree with you. It's one thing to not reveal hidden items as opposed to what they do in Metroid. It's another thing altogether to randomly not track items at all until after you've collected them when many of them aren't collectable until well after you see them. Marking them makes sense so you can, y'know, actually keep track of where something is after you first see it. That's kinda the entire point of maps in the first place.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years agoMan I feel like I'm smoking the crazy pills, I genuinely prefer this map to HONK THERE'S AN ITEM HERE HONK in "exploration" games! I much prefer a map that tells me what I've done to what I haven't done, and there's area collection totals which tells you hey, you're missing 2 things in this area, maybe you should search the remaining rooms that you haven't picked up stuff in yet? And bomb/interact with suspicious surfaces? I've never liked the approach of "YUP THERE'S AN ITEM IN THIS EXACT ROOM, JUST USE EVERY TOOL YOU HAVE UNTIL IT SHOWS UP". It's not like there's no guidelines, or no indication of what you've done or no indication of when you've cleared an area, it's just not straight-up telling you where stuff is hidden because it's... hidden.
What Grounder said is exactly why I completely disagree with you. It's one thing to not reveal hidden items as opposed to what they do in Metroid. It's another thing altogether to randomly not track items at all until after you've collected them when many of them aren't collectable until well after you see them. Marking them makes sense so you can, y'know, actually keep track of where something is after you first see it. That's kinda the entire point of maps in the first place.
Sure, if the item was visible or you revealed its location. But then I'd prefer an Etrian Odyssey or

latest Hollow Knight update

approach to maps in Metroidvanias. I dislike it when I pass through a room and when I next open the map there's a big icon saying "HEY YOU MISSED SOMETHING HERE". Likewise, do obvious dead-ends need icons marking hidden items? Sure, maps are great supplements to memory, but these systems are impingement on discovery.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

with all this map stuff going about I think it's worth noting there IS

something to help you find items.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

The absolute most that I'm going to defend this scene is that I was never under the impression that it was supposed to be played as comedic, but that could just be a "me" interpretation.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Ometeotl

Re: Rabi-Ribi - Selena Milfall

Post by Ometeotl »

The game cannot be considered "demonizing" this scene when they had the artist draw a specific image just for this scene, showing off her ass three times.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

look I'm trying :(
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Timestamps are up in the OP.

It is true that conventions have been getting better about this sort of behaviour (or at least they're actively trying), with the whole Cosplay Is Not Consent thing. There's only so much an organization can do to preemptively prevent individuals from being dickheads, though.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Being stuck before that boss with no way to heal yourself is kind of stupid. Thing is, I don't remember having to fight that nerd throng -- was that something added in a content patch? If so that might be the cause for that potential oversight

Dragooner

Post by Dragooner »

Well, that's why there is only an autosave. Not a real one. I think the nerds were always there though.

Also the book that generates BP over time can be used as a way to heal yourself fully if you have the patience for it.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Yeah it's good that it doesn't completely lock you with a hard save, but at least that would've been a healing spot. I'd have still put one of those yellow healing stations somewhere (probably towards the beginning so that you still need to go through the enemies)

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Grounder wrote: The absolute most that I'm going to defend this scene is that I was never under the impression that it was supposed to be played as comedic, but that could just be a "me" interpretation.
Ometeotl wrote: The game cannot be considered "demonizing" this scene when they had the artist draw a specific image just for this scene, showing off her ass three times.
I agree with both of these points.

The music (or lack thereof), the dialogue, and the nerds' graphics all sound like the game is saying "sexual harassment is bad."
But the cutscene art utterly undermines that message. As does the game's refusal to let its cast wear pants.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

It's no different than all the anime that has a pervert character that has prolonged scenes groping women or stealing their panties or peeking at them at the hot springs or whatever and then get punched for it. It's just an excuse to include that skeevy stuff.