(shouting)

Rabi-Ribi - Dolphin Room

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
MarthX

Re: Rabi-Ribi - UFO

Post by MarthX »

I don't really get the hate or dislike for the game myself. Aside from the subpar story, the game is very well designed. Every attack in the game is dodgable and there's nothing is truly unfair. Any time you take damage, it isn't because the game was being cheap, it's because you made a mistake. The game also gives plenty of tools to have different types of play styles. I personally focused entirely on offense and managed to burn the vast majority of bosses down before they could do much. Even the SP bosses can be quickly burned down. The game is simply challenging which a lot of games nowadays aren't. It punishes you for making mistakes and dodging attacks requires more effort than your standard game. There's nothing wrong with having to learn and memorize patterns.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

just a head's up that tonight's episode will probably be delayed some. you'll know why if you watch the video :O
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Over/under 2.5 hours of gameplay
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

over

just done editing, it's now processing. then I still have to upload.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

SP bosses were a mistake
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
MarthX

Post by MarthX »

SP 3 is a lot harder than the other two so it doesn't surprise me.
raocow

Post by raocow »

it's uploading now, give it 10-15 minutes
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Wonderful. This is the true raocow experience that Normal mode robbed us from.

Chirei

Post by Chirei »

You actually beat her with the penalty on, and without using Blessed, the arguably best badge in the game. A solid effort.

I wasn't sure if she did anything Top Form or Tough Skin would fall under, but I guess not. No Badges on hit is still insanely rude and I feel like the fight would have been infinitely better if it didn't have that. It's not like she was hitting you for catastrophic amounts of damage, so the damage was fair on both sides.
Crow

Re: Rabi-Ribi - Golden Soul Bead

Post by Crow »

i mean you yourself pointed out in passing why i don't like these bosses - they're not fun, they don't look fun, sitting there for 2-4 hours learning every possible attack and how to dodge it just to overcome absurd penalties for taking damage + stacking on stupid debuffs isn't fun especially when the reward is... nothing except personal accomplishment. there are times when personal accomplishment is enough. but these all seem to go way too far beyond that threshold to be fun.

if it's any consolation, literally anything else the game throws at you now will feel easy in comparison, none of the DLCs are remotely as bad
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Something I forgot to mention until just now: If you haven't yet recorded today's video, and you didn't do this the last time you were there, make sure to take at least a bit of a listen to the Upper Ravine music when you get there today. It's very AUS-ish in nature, particularly the percussion.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Implo

Post by Implo »

At first let me tell you that I never played this game and I'm not into bullet hell games. My whole knowledge of this game comes from raocow's videos.

I believe that raocow's problem with SP Bosses isn't really coming from their crazy pattern or crazy buffs they have (like healing). But rather from ... himself.

Right now raocow has 2 ways of playing the game at once that clashes with each other:

1. Cassual style of playthrough - dealing the most of damage to bosses and tanking everything. This also allows making mistakes.

2. Desire to make a perfect run - this one is about perfect dodging the stuff. It also doesn't allow making mistakes.

Cassual playing help to learn the pattern while perfect run force to reset the battle after even 1 little mistake. These 2 ways of thinking clashes so much that it makes raocow feels very annoyed and on a long run burn out.

I believe that desire to be perfect has born during the road towards Irisu, when raocow decided to preserve golden carrot and discovered RESET function. It let him force his way through this place without really learning how to pass it. And he started heavily abuse RESET function. For me it was 2nd most annoying Rabi-Ribi video to watch.

In the battles with SP Bosses raocow also abused too much of RESET. It was really annoying to watch. The current pattern of the raocow battle was:

1. Play cassualy, get overwhelmed by boss 1st attacks and learning them.

2. After dodging perfectly early patterns get hit during later pattern and immediatly RESET. Why? Because early battle was perfect. This doesn't allow really learn how to dodge things.

3. After few restarts getting impatient on early game, because you want to learn later stuff, and get hit on early pattern and RESET.

4. After that there is more and more RESETS and more and more FRUSTRATION.

5. And finally raocow become silent and after many tries beat the boss. But negative emotions are still in the background.

So my suggestions would be:

A) Don't use RESET function. Making perfect runs is good but for 2nd playthroughs.

B) Actually restock your healing items. Reasons:

- even if boss get some buffs you really need to do the same thing you do through the whole battle - dodge the stuff;

- from what I noticed healing itself isn't that crazy. Auto Cake healing restore something like 15% max HP to the boss. Seeing how fast you can drain bosses life bar it's not crazy much. Auto Donut healing gave Ashuri 2300 HP which you outdo in no time.
I suspect that healing gives bosses half persentage of persantage that gives you. For example: you got healed 50% of max HP while the Boss get only 25% of her max HP;

- the last reason is simple - healing gives you more chances to learn the patterns.

I'm fully aware that it's a little too late to say it now, when raocow beat last SP Boss. Well I hope that at least the rest of the game will be more enjoyable for him.
raocow

Post by raocow »

for this fight in particular, the reason why I would reset after getting hit sometimes at the start is strictly because loosing your badges changes how you play too much. Loosing my badges make me loose a lot of offensive options and some defensive, and if the fight just started I was like 'might as well restart'. I don't know, maybe it counts with what you are saying and I'm in denial ? I just didn't want to play with a secretly gimped version of my character.
onionrice
Bunny
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by onionrice »

Getting a temporary attack boost from the town can help if it is not too expensive
sup
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago for this fight in particular, the reason why I would reset after getting hit sometimes at the start is strictly because loosing your badges changes how you play too much. Loosing my badges make me loose a lot of offensive options and some defensive, and if the fight just started I was like 'might as well restart'. I don't know, maybe it counts with what you are saying and I'm in denial ? I just didn't want to play with a secretly gimped version of my character.
No badges just doesn't look fun at all, so no one can blame you.

Given how a lot of the badges can do things like cut amulet downtime, cut hitbox, it just kind of snowballs really fast into getting hit more and basically being in perma no-MP mode which is really rude. Might as well be a boss that turns off your key items in castlevania with how game changing the badges are.

Due to this it's almost imperative that you kind of have to basically have to do the run with minimal or no damage to avoid the exponentially worse penalties/no-fun mode, so really nothing wrong with quick resetting these.
Implo

Post by Implo »

But on the other hand learning how to fight without badges would help during fights with badges. Plus these bosses are probably also available for 0% playthroughs where there is no badges available.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: Rabi-Ribi - Radar

Post by Kilgamayan »

They'll also be drastically reduced in difficulty on the Standard Mode, since Standard Mode boss levels scale according to item percentage.

Unless you're suggesting raoguy should play as if training for the hardest possible combination of settings? Because he's very likely never going to do anything like that for LP purposes.

Unrelated: I'm glad I got to use Radar but Eye of Truth is already gone so I'm gonna be scrambling a bit if there are multiple collection episodes. I wasn't planning beyond what I knew would be required for the remaining DLC, ahaha

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I raocow, I challenge you to get MAX rank on that totem beside that save point (which did appear this episode)

I am very sure there is one more item in Evernight Peak, access via a fake wall on the left side of a screen. Your carrot went through it once.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Good job on beating Soldexus 2, raocow. Who knew the game would be infinitely better if you replaced jon arbuckle with a rabbit, made the game exponentially shorter, and put a white cat in the castle.

That said, you're basically correct that the badges are the most interesting collectibles. I never actually used Hex Cancel, but maybe you'll find some use out of it since the amulet is not exactly your playstyle.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years agoI am very sure there is one more item in Evernight Peak, access via a fake wall on the left side of a screen. Your carrot went through it once.
this is like the fifth time you've brought this up :lol:

ready to see some rabi-lc tomorrow tho
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

A bit late, but since raocow mentioned that he unfortunately found all the badges, I thought that there's no reason for the fun to end here, and that he should have two more as a reward for beating the SP Bosses.

raocow

Post by raocow »

these are amazing

and kilga I'll be approaching the dlc tomorrow I don't know if there's really gonna be anymore exploration dedicated videos
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

That certainly makes it easier on me! Though obviously you should go item hunting if you feel up to it, independent of the thread gimmick. I can always throw an Orb or two up there.

Incidentally, since there's been a lot of Hollow Knight DLC discussion in the other thread lately, I thought I'd mention that there's a hidden part of the Exotic Laboratory where the player travels down a multi-screen hallway with a bunch of lasers only to find a "TBA" sign at a dead end. The theories that I've read are that it's setting up for some future DLC. If that's true, would you go back and play it when it comes out?

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow

Post by raocow »

honestly, probably yeah. There's a precedent for returning to games for added content now ever since Mibibli's Quest
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Excellent. I'll keep an eye out, then.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image