(shouting)

Storks and Apes and Crocodiles by Morsel

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
cozyduck

Storks and Apes and Crocodiles by Morsel

Post by cozyduck »

So I did a thing:

Timestamps for the winning runs are in the youtube descriptions.
morsel/morceau

Re: Storks and Apes and Crocodiles by Morsel

Post by morsel/morceau »

Hey nice. Did you do this in one sitting? The first one-sitting run-through I did took about five hours. The hack was a bit more difficult then, and I took out alomost everything that annoyed me (one major change was adding a midpoint to the airship). I look forward to watching the whole thing later and might comment again.
dont wanna jihad no more
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Nah, it's not single segment. I recorded the 4 videos on separate occasions. I imagine if I tried to do it all in one sitting I'd be too mentally drained towards the endgame to be able to properly focus. Maybe if I revisit the game in the future I might try to get good enough to do it, but for now I'm done with it.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I would be curious to hear your opinion of some things, if I may trespass upon your courtesy.
-Was there anything you particularly disliked in the hack (I know you mentioned the climbing level and some of the music choices elsewhere).
-Did you like the random level? (It was a bit of an experiment and I didn't really have a proper model for it.) In particular, did you think the rooms were evenly balanced?
-Did you play the final boss 'blind'; and if so did you also hate it? (I saw linkdead play this.)

Thanks again!
dont wanna jihad no more
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

- The part where you have to slide up a slope in level 2 is almost impossible on a ps4 pad, or any pad where you can't do really clean directional inputs.
- I'm not a fan of the unpatched on/off switches in stage 6, even though, as you reasoned previously, the double-hitting issue can be avoided through proper timing.
- I think the second jump off the wall in the second part of stage 13 is really annoying, even though eventually I figured out a decent setup for it.
- In stage 14, on the section with two saws right before the part where you have to let the yoshis eat the dolphin: If you do not spawn the saws just right you may have to wait for a very long time until you get the saws properly aligned. I figured out a setup eventually, but the first time I went through the level I found it really frustrating because I would often have to wait for a very long time only to then die in one of the many later obstacles.
- I saw quite a few people complain about your music choices in level 7-2 and in level 12. Personally, I like the songs well enough, but they can get a bit grating if you have to listen to them for hours non-stop. Similarly, I actually love the song in stage 17, but the loop is very short, and the stage is very long and difficulty, and thus will take many hours to learn, so it just isn't an appropriate choice for the level imo. If the song main section of the song were longer though, then I'd love it for this level.

Speaking of which, I did like level 17. As for its design, let me say a few things about each tier individually:

- Tier 1: Fairly consistent in difficulty imo (even when taking their length into account), but 2 of the rooms are MUCH longer then the other 2, so once the players learns all 4 of them it becomes really annoying when you randomly get one of the long ones.

- Tier 2: The flight room is way easier than the others. Shorter too. Once you have learned it, the yoshi room is the second easiest one imo, although the very first jump is really easy to mess up. The other two rooms are much harder to do consistently, the lava one took me by far the longest until I got my first successful attempt, although now I'd say it's more likely for me to screw up in the elevator room.

- Tier 3: Purple room is clearly the easiest, although it's not as free as the flight room in tier 2. Ice room is the hardest, mostly because that final obstacle where you ride the fire is really rough (the video actually shows the only time I ever cleared it). I'm undecided on the ordering of the other two rooms, but I'll say that the mega spike room, while very tricky and long, is at least consistent. The platform riding one is annoying because of how inconsistent the timing on the fire spawns are. In particular, there's that section in the middle of the room where you will want to delay your jumps as long as possible to guarantee that it spawns, but sometimes it's still not enough, and some other times you end up getting killed by the platform explosions instead, sometimes even after you already jumped off of them (as it happens once in my video). I find that quite annoying.

- Tier 4: I'd say the yoku blocks one is the easiest and the homing bullet one is the hardest, but they're all not that hard tbh. The challenge is in not caving under the pressure, so I think it's fine as is.

Finally, I did watch ldad do a few attempts at the final boss previous to my playthrough, so it wasn't blind (most of the rest of the game was though). I loved it though, although I will say that the disco shell can be really frustrating at times.

Everything else I haven't complained about I liked. Thank you for making it.