(shouting)

Hyper VI - Oh Haimari... Maybe It's Best We Part

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Hyper VI - The Uneasy Feeling Of Being Held At Gunpoint

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Arctangent wrote: 6 years ago Well this is tasteless.

Wasn't there another Japanese hack rao played that had some out-of-nowhere homophobia? Kinda reminds me of that.
Er, YUMP had unpleasant choice of words on an infamous level... can't recall a Japanese hack but it wouldn't surprise me.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

there is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0idzdGhaw4&t=89s (what it has to do with any thing, I don't know -- pace MASH, suicide is now tasteless?)
dont wanna jihad no more
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

morsel/morceau wrote: 6 years ago there is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0idzdGhaw4&t=89s (what it has to do with any thing, I don't know -- pace MASH, suicide is now tasteless?)
I even left a 'yaranaika' on it! how could I forget!
LHB

Post by LHB »

I'm pretty sure Cup is just making stuff up at this point. "Held at gunpoint" isn't anywhere in that castle text. It's kinda funny though how all of the most memorable phrases and level names in these jp hacks tend to be the mistranslated ones.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

Cup Translations: At Least It's Not Oyster

But seriously, I agree that some of the mistranslations we've seen over the years have a very lyrical quality to them.
"Where the Greenery is Kept" and "Well Then, Shall We Reveal the Truth Now?" are still some of my favorite level names, which is funny because they're not actually real level names.

Even in this instance "being held at gunpoint" is not really an inaccurate description of what it feels like to play this hack at times...
this is getting laundromatic
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

Quick 'n dirty translations may indeed know their hacks better than the creators themselves.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I... really liked this level!

raocow says that Haimari didn't take into account flying over the level, but I'm pretty sure they totally did and that's why raocow didn't get stuck in any of the places he went.
Arctangent wrote: 6 years ago Well this is tasteless.

Wasn't there another Japanese hack rao played that had some out-of-nowhere homophobia? Kinda reminds me of that.
You might also be thinking of this one level in lategame VIP 1 which was named after a gay baseball player (I think?). I don't remember the level itself having any relation that I could see though, so I'm not really sure what the intention was.

I have to wonder if "Suicide City" is a reference to the also-inexplicably-named "Genocide City", a cut zone from Sonic 2.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

I genuinely expected a little bit more angrycow from todays level, especially at the offscreen bob-ombs in the section where it forces you to walk around at the top of the screen, so good job!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I've been doing so well at avoiding one-more-leveling, why did I do it today ;_; ;_;
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago I've been doing so well at avoiding one-more-leveling, why did I do it today ;_; ;_;
they don't call it suicide city for nothing
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

raocow if you want to try "copying your save" you could save your current progress at a save point, maybe by replaying an earlier ghost house or something, and then copy your hyper 6.smc and .srm file both to the snes9x folder then just start the game from the menu instead of loading a state.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I'm not entirely convinced that this is a snes9x/zsnes problem, though. I mean, it very well might not occur on zsnes, but I don't see a reason to assume so.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago I'm not entirely convinced that this is a snes9x/zsnes problem, though. I mean, it very well might not occur on zsnes, but I don't see a reason to assume so.
The reason the game crashed for raocow is because there are two versions of the game: Haimari's original version and SuperMaks' modified one.
The original version of the hack that was released by Haimari only works on ZSNES because he used the old addmusic tool.
SuperMaks tried to fix this problem by modifying the game using a modern music tool so it's playable on accurate emulators. However he (understandably) didn't play through the game extensively to make sure it works 100% of the time, which is why it crashed a couple of times.

I'm honestly unsure if switching to ZSNES while still using SuperMaks' version will fix it though. After all, that version still uses the modern music tool no matter which emulator it's being played on - and that appears to be causing the issue.

I guess if the game keeps crashing even after the switch to ZSNES I could just send him my .smc and .srm files since I've been playing along with him (using Haimari's original version)...

Also I think it's worth pointing out that raocow has been playing exceptionally well these last couple of videos. It takes a lot of patience and endurance to keep your calm with these levels being what they are.
this is getting laundromatic
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Re: Hyper VI - Featuring Haimari's Pact with the Devil

Post by Sugar »

Just a warning to not "one more level" Suicide City 3. Like you should know, but just warning you in advance.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

please move on soon raocow this hack isnt worth it
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

There was at least one blue switch platform in today's fortress (to make the shell jumps at the end more reasonable), so hopefully hitting the blue switch will in fact be of help going forward.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago I'm not entirely convinced that this is a snes9x/zsnes problem, though. I mean, it very well might not occur on zsnes, but I don't see a reason to assume so.
I'm pretty sure he wants to switch to zsnes because he can just rewind when that happens

Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Jesuiscontent wrote: 6 years ago
I'm pretty sure he wants to switch to zsnes because he can just rewind when that happens
Snes9x also has rewinds.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Grounder wrote: 6 years ago please move on soon raocow this hack isnt worth it
this is just one third of a game, just saying (in terms of expected number of episodes, an estimate)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 6 years ago
Jesuiscontent wrote: 6 years ago
Snes9x also has rewinds.
That's assuming that raocow is actually using the latest 1.55 (or even just 1.54)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

What terrible levels.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ryrir wrote: 6 years agoAlso I think it's worth pointing out that raocow has been playing exceptionally well these last couple of videos. It takes a lot of patience and endurance to keep your calm with these levels being what they are.
Not according to that idiot in the comments of today's video who somehow thinks inconsistent level design tripping raocow up is somehow raocow's fault or the one from earlier this week who claimed raocow's faking it, lol.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

raocow always plays exceptionally well; he's a much better and more patient player than some give him credit for. On the other hand, it's almost unbelievable the things he doesn't know or think of. Examples: The long jump with two podobos in the middle can be jumped unassisted from one tile (no podo-bounce required); the metroids can be burned, making the frustrating level much easier (just bring in a flower, or a mushroom and there's a flower in the box at the beginning).
dont wanna jihad no more
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

YOU CAN BURN THEM ?

... dang it ...
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

morsel/morceau wrote: 6 years agoraocow always plays exceptionally well; he's a much better and more patient player than some give him credit for. On the other hand, it's almost unbelievable the things he doesn't know or think of. Examples: The long jump with two podobos in the middle can be jumped unassisted from one tile (no podo-bounce required); the metroids can be burned, making the frustrating level much easier (just bring in a flower, or a mushroom and there's a flower in the box at the beginning).
He doesn't always play exceptionally well. He has off days like anyone. His real issue isn't even playing badly a lot of the time anyways. It's a matter of not really putting enough thought into his actions or not paying enough attention. Neither of which were actually a huge issue in this video anyways.

Your examples, for example (lol), aren't terribly unreasonable. The podobo jump one actually makes sense for raocow since he tends to be overly cautious and the metroid one is a really easy oversight if you're not quick to consider bringing in external powerups.