(shouting)

Hyper VI - Oh Haimari... Maybe It's Best We Part

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Marcaek

Re: Hyper VI - Haimari Presents: The Romhack Equivalent Of A Hamster Wheel

Post by Marcaek »

These long levels could benefit from multiple midpoints, if not merely shortened. Hell, introducing multiple midpoints as a world gimmick is a legit good idea!

Gravity gimmick is a nice idea, unfortunately when you alter how mario world physics work you start to see just how broken the game is, and unless you account for stuff like clipping into walls and "descension glitches" your gimmick is gonna end up making for an aggravating experience.

This is pretty much the point where you can conclusively say Haimari had zero testing\feedback. If he knew about this stuff and let it pass its either because he didn't have the experience required to fix it, or maybe the japanese hack community just cares less about glitches (entirely feasible) and as such he didn't consider this an issue due to that.

EDIT also an idea to make the second half not so bad: design everything so that it is theoretically possible but considerably difficulty to spinjump your way through without a cape so you can't softlock the level
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

The level really wouldn't have been all that bad (though still rather difficult) if Haimari had passed on most of the shell cannons and did something actually reasonable in place of those glitchy as hell sprites near the end.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

I'm having flashbacks of the 20+ runs I lost due to that stupid off screen eerie because the autoscroll pushed me off the platform. Ugh...
Btw, here's a twitch highlight of jeffw beating todays section toolless, in case anyone is curious:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/45819922
To this day, he's the only person I'm aware of to have beating Hyper 6 completely toolless, as in I think he didn't even use them to practice the levels.

Just a heads up, tomorrows level is actual complete garbage. (Yeah, I know, hard to believe)
Have "fun"!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Hyper VI - It'd Be Great If It Weren't Terrible
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Money

Post by Money »

I really dont have anything to say besides "that was bad"
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Pretty much every problem with Hyper 6 came to a head today, and I really hope that 8-Castle-4 has multiple paths, raocow will just find the easiest route and not come back for some sense of completion.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Grounder wrote: 6 years ago and I really hope that 8-Castle-4 has multiple paths, raocow will just find the easiest route and not come back for some sense of completion.
I don't know what is 8-Castle-4, but if it's Bowser's Castle, it doesn't have multiple paths.
And it's a really nice level, to the point where raocow could probably put a level after it in a single video.

Of course, knowing him, he won't do "one more level", but here, one more level is a non-issue.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago
Grounder wrote: 6 years ago and I really hope that 8-Castle-4 has multiple paths, raocow will just find the easiest route and not come back for some sense of completion.
I don't know what is 8-Castle-4, but if it's Bowser's Castle, it doesn't have multiple paths.
And it's a really nice level, to the point where raocow could probably put a level after it in a single video.

Of course, knowing him, he won't do "one more level", but here, one more level is a non-issue.
thank goodness
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Grounder wrote: 6 years ago

Pretty much every problem with Hyper 6 came to a head today, and I really hope that 8-Castle-4 has multiple paths, raocow will just find the easiest route and not come back for some sense of completion.
sorry nope
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago

Of course, what comes soon after is a completely different story.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Isn't this level against some sort of international convention?
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Hyper VI - Grass Is Always Greener On The Other Side Of The Barrier [Citation Needed]

Post by Ryrir »

Proposition: It might be a good idea to just end the LP with the end of world eight. It has a climactic boss fight with credits and everything...

I don't know how others feel about this, but the special world is just going to be more of the same and I feel like we've all seen it at this point.
this is getting laundromatic
cozyduck

Re: Hyper VI - Grass Is Always Greener On The Other Side Of The Barrier [Citation Needed]

Post by cozyduck »

Ryrir wrote: 6 years ago Proposition: It might be a good idea to just end the LP with the end of world eight. It has a climactic boss fight with credits and everything...

I don't know how others feel about this, but the special world is just going to be more of the same and I feel like we've all seen it at this point.
I mean, for better or for worse I'd say there's more variety in the level design of the special world, so it'd make for more interesting LP material then world 8; and only a few of the levels are marathon ones too. But they're still all full of bullshit, and it goes without saying that they're all very hard. I could definitely understand it if raocow would call it a day after world 8, although I gotta say it would be a bit disappointing to miss out on people's reactions to the absolutely bonkers final special world stage. There's also another set of credits at the end of the special world.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I think he should just savescum like old times and treat it as "showing off" the world.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

That's what I suggested in the patreon discord: just savescum through the whole thing
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Just watched the Tower of Floating Up Through Everything.

Again, I have to ask. At what point did Haimari think this was fun?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago That's what I suggested in the patreon discord: just savescum through the whole thing
I mean, I could see raocow conceivably getting to the last special world level with his one savestate per room rule (although a few rooms will be really tough, he might give up earlier), but there is no way he's getting through that stage without savescuming anyways. I mean, if you don't mind spoilers, then just look at this nonsense:
So just savescumming through earlier stuff might be for the best after all.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Just savescum. This hurts my soul. Even though I'm not playing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Lockirby2 wrote: 6 years ago Isn't this level against some sort of international convention?
I hope Internetpol finds and apprehends the level creator soon enough

Haimari really needed to work on visual communication to the player, with the block obscured by the score. There's a problem with conveyance, in addition to blatantly hiding things like the dark levels and the waterfalls in this level covering up sprites.
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

raocow those on\off blocks? Broken corners. I hope you read this before you find out really late!
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

By the way, in case the next level won't take too long to record, you have my permission to record also the level after it. You won't regret it.

In fact, you may regret NOT playing one more level.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

I was honestly a bit surprised at how understanding you were today but maybe it's just me who hates how finicky that item2 gimmick is.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

From my observations:

The number that replaced your score is a death counter. The death counter only saves deaths in the Item 2 segments. I don't know why it exists.

Every time you enter one of those segments, it overwrites your score. Your score is then lost, because that space was needed for the death counter.

But, by necessity, the death counter is stored and recalled. Which defeats any justification it had in overwriting your score, and raises the question of why not store and recall the score as well.

:T
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

As far as Mega Man 10 fortress themes go, I like No Turning Back more than Abandoned Memory, but I got two instances of Against the Pressure so I can't really complain.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

this is the game that never ends
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage