(shouting)

Hyper VI - Oh Haimari... Maybe It's Best We Part

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Hyper VI - Featuring Haimari's Pact with the Devil

Post by Grounder »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago
Grounder wrote: 6 years ago please move on soon raocow this hack isnt worth it
this is just one third of a game, just saying (in terms of expected number of episodes, an estimate)
i mean call it quits

i know theres 8 worlds
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

As I keep saying, it's the little things that make this hack feel, to me, like garbage. And today's episode was no exception. The fact that the game keeps changing its own rules makes for a frustrating experience. As raocow pointed out, you never know if platforms are solid, or if they'll crumble, or if they're just non-existent entirely.

Doesn't help that, either through poor translation on Cup's part, or possibly intentional misleading on Haimari's part (seriously, that stage a few days ago with the confusing multiple negatives regarding coins. "Don't follow the coins that don't look like they'd not lead to safety!" or however it was worded), means you can't even reliably trust in-game text to explain the rules... which are arbitrary and often broken to begin with... Sometimes gold coins mark safe spots. Sometimes silver coins do. Sometimes they mark places where it's *not* safe. Sometimes background objects denote safe spots. Sometimes they don't. And this can -- and often *does* -- change arbitrarily throughout the same stage. Often the same *section*. There's no consistency, and no way of *knowing* what's safe and what isn't except through tedious trial and error, which is just bad design, period.

If "keep the player in a constant state of paranoia" was Haimari's goal, then he certainly succeeded, I guess.

I enjoy watching raocow play these terrible old SMW hacks, but this one feels like it's going to go on for a long, long time, and I'm probably not alone when I just want it to end so he'll start Wario Land 2 and 3... :?
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I wonder how different this would be received if rao played this back when it came out
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago I wonder how different this would be received if rao played this back when it came out
"lol u get epicly TROLD #REKT"
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago I wonder how different this would be received if rao played this back when it came out
By me? Probably not too differently. :P

Moists:

Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

I'd say it would be recieved worse because rao wasn't as good a player for one, and he would be playing completely blind thus not knowing what he was getting into.
Exponentiation

Post by Exponentiation »

I had no idea you could firekill the metroids either, yay for custom sprites. You're more or less guaranteed to come there small unless you go back for powerups too. The blue switch palace is (was?) my least favorite level, at least prior to that knowledge.

I'm unsure if anyone ever pointed out:
That one level with the message box rao didn't find, there's a set of teleport blocks underneath that one falling platform that has a powerup above it. He almost hit them twice on accident, he was like one block off once too. I didn't find that until I was looking for the fifth dragon coin in LM.

That little area has the metroids ""introduced"", it also gives you a feather placed directly in the level (not a fireflower), ...but you can't capespin them.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Do we have to guess? raocow did play Hyper V and postgame was pretty much crazy in that one. I wouldn't say YouTube comments are that different, especially for episode -5 which is pretty much a Hyper VI level.

Literally, it will appear later in this LP, so feel free to compare comments or something.

Last edited by Sugar 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

That blowfish Haimari bought must be calling the shots for this hack. It all makes sense now.
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

i am glad to see the return of the "pls use savestates" crowd, its 2011 all over again
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

that guy in the comments is like the perfect representation of my anxiety and self-esteem issues if i absolutely hated everyone and had no shame
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Grounder wrote: 6 years ago please move on soon raocow this hack isnt worth it
you are weak baby
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Arctangent wrote: 6 years ago that guy in the comments is like the perfect representation of my anxiety and self-esteem issues if i absolutely hated everyone and had no shame
Get owned. This hack is smarter than everyone here combined. Owned! Owned! Owned!

Owned.

I give that guy a D- in trolling.

Moists:

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

YelseyKing wrote: 6 years ago
Arctangent wrote: 6 years ago that guy in the comments is like the perfect representation of my anxiety and self-esteem issues if i absolutely hated everyone and had no shame
Get owned. This hack is smarter than everyone here combined. Owned! Owned! Owned!

Owned.

I give that guy a D- in trolling.
"sic [sic] a dic [sic]"
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Voltgloss wrote: 6 years ago "sic [sic] a dic [sic]"
Oh man, you owned me so hard!

Posting again to remind you of how hard you owned me!

Another reminder of how much you owned me!

Owned owned owned

Moists:

heycallmeZe

Post by heycallmeZe »

YelseyKing wrote: 6 years ago
Voltgloss wrote: 6 years ago "sic [sic] a dic [sic]"
Oh man, you owned me so hard!

Posting again to remind you of how hard you owned me!

Another reminder of how much you owned me!

Owned owned owned
That guy was amazingly hilarious. Like, you want to get angry at him, but he's spent so much of his time reacting to this thing that you kind of just want to point and snicker at him for wasting so much energy on this.
One day, an image will return
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

heycallmeZe wrote: 6 years ago That guy was amazingly hilarious. Like, you want to get angry at him, but he's spent so much of his time reacting to this thing that you kind of just want to point and snicker at him for wasting so much energy on this.
I can't even be angry at him, because his comments are just too damned funny. He probably *wants* people to be angry, but it just comes across as "trying *way* too hard to be a troll". Like, there's a single comment that's got like ~80 replies, and about 70 of them are him going on in slightly different ways about how he "owned" everyone else who responded, with childish insults. How can I be angry? It's like a puppy growling or a kitten hissing at you. Like, you know they're *trying* to be threatening, but it's just too hilarious to take seriously.

My biggest regret about all this is that it happened so early in the year. If this had happened in, say, November, I totally would've put up a Most for "Smartest Hack" and voted Hyper VI, because that *deserves* to be a meme.

Anyway, that's the last post I'll make in regards to this particular person. I've had my fun.

Moists:

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I had to see what you guys were talking about and like, I was going to say that I think he's just fucking around, but then I got to the part where he started listing off extreme-right political talking points apropos of literally nothing at all and then started insisting that everybody else was lying about him not offending them - even though he was almost entirely talking to himself. Now I just want him to get help.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
heycallmeZe

Post by heycallmeZe »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago I had to see what you guys were talking about and like, I was going to say that I think he's just fucking around, but then I got to the part where he started listing off extreme-right political talking points apropos of literally nothing at all and then started insisting that everybody else was lying about him not offending them - even though he was almost entirely talking to himself. Now I just want him to get help.
Insecurity - the trademark of many a troll and wannabe troll. Like, the moment you basically flank them or do anything that renders their core efforts moot, they start to unravel.

They're glass cannons.
One day, an image will return
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

man those zsnes incorrect smw sounds are nostalgic as all hell
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

rao, if you're concerned with input lag, have you tried using bizhawk, libretro/retroarch, or higan instead? Not sure how they compare to snes9x though.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I think this is the first time I've seen raocow go for a 1-up and end up with an unexpected powerup. Usually it's the opposite.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

if we see how to get the secret exit, and we know getting the secret exit wouldn't lead to anything, must the secret exit be cleared? a question that will make sense after tomorrow's video
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

By the way, about "one more level".

- It's perfectly fine to one more level after 8-8 (to play 8-9).
- Don't do it for any other level at this point.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago if we see how to get the secret exit, and we know getting the secret exit wouldn't lead to anything, must the secret exit be cleared? a question that will make sense after tomorrow's video
Tomorrow's level is the one I recall struggling the most with until world 7 castle. Re-doing it for the secret exit really just added insult to injury.