(shouting)

Hyper VI - Oh Haimari... Maybe It's Best We Part

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Re: Hyper VI - Calm before the Storm

Post by jayScribble »

Yep, I like seeing near darkness, with a very bright flash of yellow on death and transitions due to me adjusting the brightness to see what the level has to offer.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Couldn't you have used the Charlie to reach the pipe that had the light switch in the first half?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

The darkness has elarscrollophobia. (or just setting 9D to any value other than 0 phobia)
Edit: but only the darkness in the first half has that, the one in the second half and the one in the first ghost house don't have this phobia.
Last edited by Super Maks 64 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I suppose World 7 was overdue for an unreasonably bad level.
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

For the record, the previous time we had a dark level I could see things much better than rao.
This time my vision was equally near zero.
Super Maks his gif seems reasonably visual so... looks like things are variable again?

I'm glad the video wasn't longer as my eyes were really starting to hurt; obviously my own fault for not accepting the radio format though.
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

This could've turned out so far worse than it did in the end. I'm glad it didn't

Also wow, it's been a while since i've seen such an elitist prick on a raocow video:
Sorry, but this is perfectly visible if you own a competent 100 dollar monitor and know how to adjust your settings. You still having problems after the first time it happened and trying to complete levels like this is just silly. shouldn't you have found a fix the first time around? Does your monitor not have a "Game Mode"? Everything is perfectly visible on anything but Scenery Mode. This is rather unprofessional behavior.
Really hope it's just a troll and not some guy being serious, but then again, it is Youtube. Even taking the whole elitist attitude aside and accusing raocow of being dumb (and ignoring that Youtube automatically brightens videos anyway), why should he have to resort to external means just to make something playable? A game should be perfectly playable with the tools it provides and if you have use something else that's not given by the game, it plain and simply fails at that and is bad game design.

Of course Hyer VI is something of a troll hack to begin, but those comments also pop up in Let's Plays of other ones, though I don't think i've ever seen one this vile.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

The darkness gimmick is obviously dumb and no one is arguing against that, but I wouldn't call adjusting your contrast/brightness levels some unreasonably onerous task. It's silly that raocow has a miserable time in a level (twice now) when he could spend 5 seconds to turn his brightness/contrast levels up and then put them back at the end of the level. Sure, he shouldn't have to do that, but why be stubborn about it? It's such an easy problem to sidestep.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Another level with wholesale pitch-black screens, another debate on whether the screen was to blame...

I do think adjusting the screen brightness is worth a try, but I would also note that there's no guarantee it would work, as demonstrated last time.
Taigiry wrote: 6 years ago
Also wow, it's been a while since i've seen such an elitist prick on a raocow video:
Sorry, but this is perfectly visible if you own a competent 100 dollar monitor and know how to adjust your settings. You still having problems after the first time it happened and trying to complete levels like this is just silly. shouldn't you have found a fix the first time around? Does your monitor not have a "Game Mode"? Everything is perfectly visible on anything but Scenery Mode. This is rather unprofessional behavior.
Really hope it's just a troll and not some guy being serious, but then again, it is Youtube. Even taking the whole elitist attitude aside and accusing raocow of being dumb (and ignoring that Youtube automatically brightens videos anyway), why should he have to resort to external means just to make something playable? A game should be perfectly playable with the tools it provides and if you have use something else that's not given by the game, it plain and simply fails at that and is bad game design.

Of course Hyer VI is something of a troll hack to begin, but those comments also pop up in Let's Plays of other ones, though I don't think i've ever seen one this vile.
You should see what happened in the comments for video 30.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

ano0maly wrote: 6 years ago You should see what happened in the comments for video 30.
What? Are you saying he was *wrong*? That Hyper VI *isn't* smarter than raocow and all of Talkhaus combined?! I will hear no such blasphemy!

I cannot keep a straight face while saying that. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Even pausing the video and turning my monitor up to max brightness, I still couldn't see anything other than vaguely where the ghosts were in this level, just like with ano0maly's phone last time. But even if that helped, it would not be a good solution for people with sensitive eyes. For me, turning the brightness all the way up for the blacked out sections only to have the darkness shut off suddenly whenever you die and go back to the map or enter a new area would be physically painful.

On the plus side, a lot of older long-running TV shows had stints as radio programs, so it's nice for raocow to get that on his resume as well.
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

"Calm before the storm" No name more fitting than this......
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Veruchai wrote: 6 years agoFor the record, the previous time we had a dark level I could see things much better than rao.
This time my vision was equally near zero.
Super Maks his gif seems reasonably visual so... looks like things are variable again?

I'm glad the video wasn't longer as my eyes were really starting to hurt; obviously my own fault for not accepting the radio format though.
I had to use a 900% brightness CSS filter to make the level anything but a nearly pitch black screen myself. And even then it was actually still kinda dark, I just didn't want to set it higher so I could actually at least vaguely see things in the brighter areas.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Wow, this has to be some kind of new record on "keep trying the same thing that isn't working", you went into the same door something like four times after it resets you, despite guessing that it's randomized, and even if it randomized every time you returned to that room (which would be really obnoxious) you could be trying for an easier door.

Does anybody know what the actual deal is with that room? Was he misremembering or does it genuinely randomize which door moves forward?
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

It seems to be the only door set to that exit in lunar magic, and, playing the level myself, there doesn't seem to be any randomisation. In conclusion, raocow has a very excellent memory.
dont wanna jihad no more
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Honestly, that level looked pretty solid. But we know that trend is going to end soon. :P
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I would have totally called you out if you didn't re-beat the second half without save states because that was a pretty weak science excuse!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

that's why I redid it! I would have called myself out too!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

While unexpected after the "literally JUMP lol"-start I would say this was a great level.
And while my memory is terrible this past week or so feels generally pretty good and original.
Whoever it was that said world 7 would be a good world was right so far IMO.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Man, that lack of ceiling is like the dev door for that level, even skipping an entire section.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

I like how raocow's argument of "I'm skipping stuff but it's okay because I've already beaten it legit" just straight up disappeared the exact moment the second half of the level started.

It feels kind of unfortunate that we didn't see the entirety of the level, but then again, I'm not the one who would actually have to play it.

With Koolas Desert #3 beaten we're officially done with the part of the hack that's actually playable! Starting with the castle tomorrow, everything will go downhill until only smokes, ashes and the smoldering remains of raocow's psyche are left.

good times~
this is getting laundromatic
Money

Post by Money »

I love it when my levels have four disparate "core ideas" and they just jump to and fro between them in visibly distinct sections. Makes me feel like im playing a cohesive experience
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Ryrir wrote: 6 years ago I like how raocow's argument of "I'm skipping stuff but it's okay because I've already beaten it legit" just straight up disappeared the exact moment the second half of the level started.
I feel like the main reason for that argument was the cape flight. In the second half he jumped up to the roof without a cape, so I'd just consider it a run of the mill shortcut rather than a skip.
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Lockirby2 wrote: 6 years ago
Ryrir wrote: 6 years ago I like how raocow's argument of "I'm skipping stuff but it's okay because I've already beaten it legit" just straight up disappeared the exact moment the second half of the level started.
I feel like the main reason for that argument was the cape flight. In the second half he jumped up to the roof without a cape, so I'd just consider it a run of the mill shortcut rather than a skip.
I don't know about this. The way the bullet generator works in SMW is that you just place the generator sprite on the first screen and call it a day. If I were to make a guess I'd say it's much more likely that Haimari placed the bullet bill generator down at the start and forgot about the implications when he was designing the level later on.
this is getting laundromatic
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

Y'know, I've never really understood the contempt towards using one of the most basic Super Mario game mechanics when playing SMW hacks. Ostensibly it's because power ups can break levels, but ... like, this isn't a collab hack ( although you can pretty well assume a collab hack will use all the power ups anyway unless otherwise stated, but still ), HaiMari knows what power ups the player will be able to start levels with especially since he gives out capes left and right. I mean, heck, so do all other solo hack authors. If they really don't want their players using the tools they've gone out of their way to provide for them in certain ways, the onus is entirely on them to prevent that.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

tomorrow's video after editing is a little over half an hour. finally you get to experience syndicated length raocow show
the chillaxest of dragonsImage