(shouting)

Hyper VI - Oh Haimari... Maybe It's Best We Part

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: Hyper VI - Keeping the 100% Dream Alive

Post by YelseyKing »

Arctangent wrote: 6 years ago
YelseyKing wrote: 6 years ago Yeah, sorry about that. That last post's needless mockery just ticked me off. I'm fine now. :P
Well while you're editing posts, could you use actually bbcode because Youtube / reddit / Discord-style markup doesn't work on here and seeing markup symbols not result in markup is really bugging a primal part of me, as if I just tried to use the wrong type of markup for a place.
I... have no idea what you're talking about, actually...
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Arctangent wrote: 6 years ago
YelseyKing wrote: 6 years ago Yeah, sorry about that. That last post's needless mockery just ticked me off. I'm fine now. :P
Well while you're editing posts, could you use actually bbcode because Youtube / reddit / Discord-style markup doesn't work on here and seeing markup symbols not result in markup is really bugging a primal part of me, as if I just tried to use the wrong type of markup for a place.
If you're talking about the asterisks, those are literally typed by hand as a stylistic choice. They just happen to auto filter to italics in discord (and there's no real reason yelsey should go out of his way to \ the asterisks each time on discord to specifically leave 'em alive).
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago hyper six dot gif
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Dying because Lakitu killed himself is the most hilarious thing to me, don't ask me why though.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Hyper VI - Evil Cousin Lurking in the Distance

Post by Ryrir »

There's no secret exit in the level played today, so don't worry. The lightning blocks are basically munchers, so a lot of the first half was just "let's click randomly in the editor and hope something good comes of it", which (surprise!) wasn't really the case. The lava ride in the second half was cool though.

I think I remember the castle being pretty long, so watch out! I honestly think Haimari just forgot about the blue coins in both the second factory and the castle...
this is getting laundromatic
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Obviously Haimari just thought these levels were so easy that they deserved a 0 star difficulty rating.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

The lava ride in which a series of creative challenges are presented to you clearly and distinctly one after another... it was... a beacon of light...
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/it/its

Post by Classtoise »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago The lava ride in which a series of creative challenges are presented to you clearly and distinctly one after another... it was... a beacon of light...
I predict this good will is promptly dumped upon by unreasonable difficulty and schizophrenic level design.
YelseyKing wrote: 6 years ago I feel like we see a lot of questionable level design here excused with "the author did it exactly as they wanted to". And all I can really say to that is... uh... No, really? Do those saying that *really* think I, and others like me, believe people whose levels we loathe are amateur designers who just don't know any better, and whose stages end up unfairly difficult *by accident*? *Hell* no. Haimari knows *exactly* what he's doing, as do others whose levels I've had issues with in the past, but just because they've made something one way *deliberately*, still doesn't *excuse* it.
This is a problem I notice a lot in collab/level contest/literally every SMBX that is super common, and it happened in YUMP, too; "No no it was bad ON PURPOSE!!!" Like that excuses it.
Like, that may be true. But it's still bad. You made it bad ironically or as a joke it's still BAD.

If I ironically add too much salt to my cooking I cannot then shield myself from criticism when someone says "this is too salty" "HAHA I MEANT TO DO THAT". Okay, great. It's still bad.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Leet

Post by Leet »

I would think this would be excruciatingly obvious, but when people say they did something intentionally, it's not to invalidate the fact that you don't like it. It's to tell you that they are already aware of the problem you are addressing and prefer it that way.

What is the alternative to letting you know of this? Just ignoring criticism instead of explaining why you did something?
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/it/its

Post by Classtoise »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago I would think this would be excruciatingly obvious, but when people say they did something intentionally, it's not to invalidate the fact that you don't like it. It's to tell you that they are already aware of the problem you are addressing and prefer it that way.

What is the alternative to letting you know of this? Just ignoring criticism instead of explaining why you did something?
The alternative is not making bad levels thanks for coming to my TedTalk.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Leet

Post by Leet »

Thought so.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Man, this hack is a rollercoaster is almost every sense of the term.
video games
lolyoshi
don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

Post by lolyoshi »

Classtoise wrote: 6 years ago
YelseyKing wrote: 6 years ago I feel like we see a lot of questionable level design here excused with "the author did it exactly as they wanted to". And all I can really say to that is... uh... No, really? Do those saying that *really* think I, and others like me, believe people whose levels we loathe are amateur designers who just don't know any better, and whose stages end up unfairly difficult *by accident*? *Hell* no. Haimari knows *exactly* what he's doing, as do others whose levels I've had issues with in the past, but just because they've made something one way *deliberately*, still doesn't *excuse* it.
If I ironically add too much salt to my cooking I cannot then shield myself from criticism when someone says "this is too salty" "HAHA I MEANT TO DO THAT". Okay, great. It's still bad.
That's not a very good analogy lol, since food isn't trying to provide you a challenge or a sadistic obstacle course by doing things that's seen as commonly bad or undesirable. Hyper would be comparable to trying to eat the spiciest pepper or something that tastes really rancid (but edible) as a challenge.
Leet

Post by Leet »

"oh so this chef is just going to tell me his pepper is spicy on purpose? that doesn't excuse it!"

(i'm analogizing for intent here, not difficulty. but analogies using video games don't really work well in general)
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

lolyoshi wrote: 6 years ago That's not a very good analogy lol, since food isn't trying to provide you a challenge or a sadistic obstacle course by doing things that's seen as commonly bad or undesirable.
You haven't tried my cooking, obviously. :P

I could feel the tension throughout this entire castle.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

looking forward to raocow LPing What the Hell.

Please finish it before Seinfeld reruns.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago looking forward to raocow LPing What the Hell.

Please finish it before Seinfeld reruns.
That hack was made by someone so sadistic that he puts Haimari to shame. :P
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

turns out the reason why rao has been so stalwart in playing this is because he wanted to sneakily show us the collab level he did with haimari way back when
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Arctangent wrote: 6 years ago turns out the reason why rao has been so stalwart in playing this is because he wanted to sneakily show us the collab level he did with haimari way back when
Whoa, raocow made a reasonable difficulty level? I'm impressed. I wonder if Haimari was like, don't make it as hard as you did in What the Hell or something.

I mean, he did "Enough! RUN AWAY!", "Demoware", "the good, the bad, the stupid" and "Mission: Lumpy Star" before, but still. There weren't many of those.
Leet

Re: Hyper VI - Haimari Presents raocow's Guest Level

Post by Leet »

I'm just gonna say that even without having seen the rest, that was the best level in the game
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Does start-select also not take you back to the midpoint? I always forget how that works.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

A ghost house with 3 exits. Who would've thunk?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago A ghost house with 3 exits. Who would've thunk?
I already forgot the whole spiel about boo exit vs. normal exits but I think what happened here is both the goal post and the key were secret exits, with the boo being the only normal exit.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

Given the context, I am inclined to believe that something about Cup's translation better reflected the author's intention.

Also that ghost house was weird, but like, for inverse reasons a ghost house is usually weird! It feels like you kinda accidentally find the way to progress instead of having to look hard at all!