(shouting)

Hyper VI - Oh Haimari... Maybe It's Best We Part

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Re: Hyper VI - Featuring Haimari's Pact with the Devil

Post by Sugar »

3 STARS

... just what do those stars mean, because it's surely not difficulty

I think you can just fly over the level to get the second exit, I mean, it's fine with me.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

So how much longer is this going to last, if we're seeing one level a day?
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

It feels like Haimari wanted to make a game designed around traps and figuring out the solution to go forward, but ran into the issue that because they designed everything and knew all the traps and solutions ahead of time, they all felt too obvious to him/her. Then, to compensate, they started making the solutions more and more obtuse and adding red herrings and changing up the rules arbitrarily so that the traps aren't so predictable, but all from the perspective of someone who knows exactly how everything works. Which in turn just becomes completely opaque to new players.

Or maybe Haimari just wanted to make an endurance game that requires several attempts to learn by trial and error in addition to having demanding execution. In general, though, I think it is really difficult to design levels that force the player to think about how to proceed and feel satisfying not just for executing but also for figuring out without veering into frustrating, arbitrary gameplay, and a lot of the flaws in this game seem like that is what Haimari was aiming for.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

A lot of the levels with traps/weird rules could be fixed by structuring them as puzzles instead of as mario levels. Like if you put every single one of those "which blocks are solid!" challenges on their own 1-screen sublevel, they would read more obviously as "okay, from these clues, figure it out!" instead of just more platforming that suddenly has different rules.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

If I recall correctly, Suicide City 3 & 4 are the last two levels in the game with useless secret exits. There's another one in world seven, but it

serves as a shortcut to the item house

so I wouldn't consider it completely useless. There might be another one in the special world...? But that's pretty far off at this point.

I guess it kind of depends on how much of a completionist you are. If you really plan on making it through the entire hack, getting every exit but two wouldn't feel right? But I guess with world eight and the special world being what there are, it's kind of questionable if you're even going to beat this hack "legit" so I guess not getting all the exits wouldn't really matter...

In the end it's your decision yo
this is getting laundromatic
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

@ the droves of people telling raocow to quit the hack or what have you (it's probably not quite "droves" but I'm tired and grumpy so I'm entitled to a bit of exaggeration >:T) - you guys know he has his own agency, right? `~` The game hasn't even pushed him to the point of artificial midpointing yet, let alone savescumming, let alone dropping it entirely. He's a much better and more patient player than we all get to see in your average rompy-romp hack LP, give him some credit. He'll soften things for himself when he feels it's time to, in the meantime let the man have his masochism, geez >.>
raocow wrote: 6 years ago if we see how to get the secret exit, and we know getting the secret exit wouldn't lead to anything, must the secret exit be cleared? a question that will make sense after tomorrow's video
I was gonna remark that you don't necessarily know it doesn't lead to the right instead but I guess Ryrir more or less confirmed it just now, so :k
Exponentiation

Post by Exponentiation »

Ryrir wrote: 6 years ago If I recall correctly, Suicide City 3 & 4 are the last two levels in the game with useless secret exits. There's another one in world seven, but it

serves as a shortcut to the item house

so I wouldn't consider it completely useless. There might be another one in the special world...? But that's pretty far off at this point.
Yeah I'm pretty sure that would be the last ones. I would get them anyways though, mostly because it "feels complete", if that's not a concern then there is no reason to bother. That world 7 level

has its normal exit set to be the shortcut to the item house, the secret exit is a shortcut to the castle letting you skip a chunk of world 7,

so I wouldn't consider it to be useless at all. There is no useless secret exit in special world.

And this level is where a dragon coin run gets to the point of being kind of unreasonable, the last one is literally right at the end. I'm sure it's doable, but judging from the dragon coin right where rao had his most painful death, you need to beat the fish section with the cape intact.

Also I was thinking.. With the messages hidden inside the rom, and the fact that this hack is unlocked in the first place (Hyper V is indeed locked), Haimari expects the player to open this up in LM at some point. So what do they expect of the player inside levels? Is it fair, in their mind, to have stupid traps because you might as well see them ahead of time by opening it up in LM?
Leet

Post by Leet »

I don't have any personal care about not doing the secret exit, but it does feel really strange, since raocow always rigidly and methodically 100 percents hacks.
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote: 6 years ago @ the droves of people telling raocow to quit the hack or what have you (it's probably not quite "droves" but I'm tired and grumpy so I'm entitled to a bit of exaggeration >:T) - you guys know he has his own agency, right? `~` The game hasn't even pushed him to the point of artificial midpointing yet, let alone savescumming, let alone dropping it entirely. He's a much better and more patient player than we all get to see in your average rompy-romp hack LP, give him some credit. He'll soften things for himself when he feels it's time to, in the meantime let the man have his masochism, geez >.>
Yeah it's... really getting on my nerves too, raocow hasn't shown any signs whatsoever of being tired with the game but people in the YT comments are just like "raocow you need to quit this game and take a break right now!!!!!!!"

Like I get why people would say that about certain games, but in this case it's almost completely unrelated to the actual videos, so it comes off as heavily entitled/selfish.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Usually, going back and doing a level again goes extremely well even if it felt really hard to do in the first place. I'd definitely go back and get the exit, but I don't really care.
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

After how raocow got through nearly all of YUMP without savestates I am fully confident that he will get through all of World 6 and 7. I think many people severely underestimate raocow at times and he's done far more brutal levels before. I've actually been really impressed with how he's been handling these last few levels. It isn't until World 8 where we can actually start asking these questions.

As for useless secret exits like this. I would personally still get the secret exit simply for completion sake/exit count, but for the sake of the LP there really isn't that much to show in this case. We've seen everything about this level already and the secret exit doesn't lead anywhere.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

zagesaw wrote: 6 years ago After how raocow got through nearly all of YUMP without savestates I am fully confident that he will get through all of World 6 and 7. I think many people severely underestimate raocow at times and he's done far more brutal levels before. I've actually been really impressed with how he's been handling these last few levels. It isn't until World 8 where we can actually start asking these questions.
Agreed, although I think world 7 castle will be quite unpleasant already.
So anyone up for bets on when raocow will start using states? Assuming that he follows the level order in Cups translation file, my guess would be

Bowser Stage Fortress Right

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

an hour and fifty minute recording time, which makes a lot of sense as I played two whole levels tucked inside one spot on the map
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I suggest you read the recently bumped S. Mario thread; it's worth noting how much this hack was mentioned in that thread and the similar tones in the thread discussions.
Money

Post by Money »

I decided to rewatch raocow's Luigi's Adventure OSE lp and my main take away from it is "it's from 2011" isnt an excuse considering that game (at least the OSE, i know the original came out in 2004 but im not 100% sure how much is different) is from 2009 and is also a hack that tries to be hard as balls and succeeds, but is actually fun and engaging due to interesting setups using basic elements and solid level design fundamentals. Just food for thought.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

If you can keep a power-up to the section just before the midpoint, you can easily perform ye olde infinite climbing glitch against the muncher and diagonal shooter stack and go under the level straight to the end (you could probably do it without a power-up too of course).
MoneyMan wrote: I decided to rewatch raocow's Luigi's Adventure OSE lp and my main take away from it is "it's from 2011" isnt an excuse considering that game (at least the OSE, i know the original came out in 2004 but im not 100% sure how much is different) is from 2009 and is also a hack that tries to be hard as balls and succeeds, but is actually fun and engaging due to interesting setups using basic elements and solid level design fundamentals. Just food for thought.
Well the lost levels expansion of that game is pretty similar to this in many ways, but haimari simply has different priorities. He wants it to be harder than balls as well as being frustrating, and he prefers to use adventurous design elements to present his wild, wacky, chaotic design principles.
dont wanna jihad no more
churine

Post by churine »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago an hour and fifty minute recording time, which makes a lot of sense as I played two whole levels tucked inside one spot on the map
You really should start considering the idea of half-level videos for certain upcoming things.

1.5 levels before and after the midpoint is guaranteed to give you fatigue if you try to tackle the whole thing at once, even with tools.
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

totes pass up the secret exit IMO its not like anything new is going to come from it.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i think a couple of y'all are underestimating raocow's ability to be stubborn rather than his skill
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

ano0maly wrote: 6 years ago I suggest you read the recently bumped S. Mario thread; it's worth noting how much this hack was mentioned in that thread and the similar tones in the thread discussions.
Kinda depressing to see all these broken avatars

Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago A lot of the levels with traps/weird rules could be fixed by structuring them as puzzles instead of as mario levels. Like if you put every single one of those "which blocks are solid!" challenges on their own 1-screen sublevel, they would read more obviously as "okay, from these clues, figure it out!" instead of just more platforming that suddenly has different rules.
WHICH

IS

MAJORITY
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet

Post by Leet »

MoneyMan wrote: 6 years ago I decided to rewatch raocow's Luigi's Adventure OSE lp and my main take away from it is "it's from 2011" isnt an excuse considering that game (at least the OSE, i know the original came out in 2004 but im not 100% sure how much is different) is from 2009 and is also a hack that tries to be hard as balls and succeeds, but is actually fun and engaging due to interesting setups using basic elements and solid level design fundamentals. Just food for thought.
i mean you don't need to watch luigi's adventure to figure out that good hard video games existed before 2011
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

MoneyMan wrote: 6 years ago I decided to rewatch raocow's Luigi's Adventure OSE lp and my main take away from it is "it's from 2011" isnt an excuse considering that game (at least the OSE, i know the original came out in 2004 but im not 100% sure how much is different) is from 2009 and is also a hack that tries to be hard as balls and succeeds, but is actually fun and engaging due to interesting setups using basic elements and solid level design fundamentals. Just food for thought.
Luigi’s Adventure OSE was actually meant to severely tone down the difficulty of the original, to the point where I think he was trying to design a legitimately easy hack. The original had a bunch of unreasonable, janky levels starting around world 5 that are actually worse than what we get here. So yeah, LAOSE is a much fairer hack, but it took a remake to get it there.

If you want to know just how far Anikitti had to restrain himself, LOOK AT THIS CRAP.

Arctangent
squawky

Re: Hyper VI - Keeping the 100% Dream Alive

Post by Arctangent »

now that was a level that is just straight-up ass
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Arctangent wrote: 6 years ago now that was a level that is just straight-up ass
I find it increasingly hard to believe that rao is enjoying himself at this point with levels like this one, even if he says otherwise.

Note that this is an OPINION.

No HYPER VI defense force, please. :mrgreen:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet

Post by Leet »

this level made me feel pretty incredulous. how does haimari possibly have the creative energy to make so many levels that they have to combine them together to fit them in the hack? why does their design style make everything about their levels feel completely unintentional even though none of it actually is? how did somebody program those nipper sprites that badly?
Grounder wrote: 6 years ago I find it increasingly hard to believe that rao is enjoying himself at this point with levels like this one, even if he says otherwise.

Note that this is an OPINION.
thank FUCKING god you specified this, that changes everything