(shouting)

Hyper VI - Oh Haimari... Maybe It's Best We Part

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Hyper VI - Firewizard Just Wants A Hug

Post by raocow »

when a level features something that was used as a joke in yump
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Re: Hyper VI - Firewizard Just Wants A Hug

Post by Ivy »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago when a level features something that was used as a joke in yump
man i can hardly sleep waiting for the morning
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Hyper VI - Blocky Isle, Indeed

Post by raekuul »

I think this image perfectly summarizes why I don't like this hack very much.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

King of Tokyo == chess > monopoly
Something something sprites something platforming something something predictability...

Today was pretty consistent with the theming.
Visually a rather pleasant level.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

"Disco jumping over lava is 3 stars"

... and still manages to be the easier thing in the level, apparently. Maybe it's actually 2 stars!
video games
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

My favorite part was that the winning run immediately followed the stupidest death, so no editing was necessary and the infuriated silence could just hang in the air.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Oh boy, we're officially in realtalkcow territory.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

You should put this video on niconico and see how the Japanese respond to your reactions. Maybe they'll understand you, somewhat.

I started thinking this when raocow started saying "Bad Hiamara! Bad!"
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I honestly think that your experience would have been totally different if that one nipper that jumps down the vine was removed. The shell-riding was pretty easy for you and if that nipper was gone the luck element would've been gone and you could reliably learn the stage w/ the mushroom.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago I honestly think that your experience would have been totally different if that one nipper that jumps down the vine was removed. The shell-riding was pretty easy for you and if that nipper was gone the luck element would've been gone and you could reliably learn the stage w/ the mushroom.
That's how I feel too about that level.

Honestly like, while the shell riding part looked really hard, it did look fun!

And like, I feel like raocow probably would have been more trustful of the second half the way it was, if it wasn't for that going on in the first half

Edit: Then again, the fact that this nonsense happened in the first half probably did prepare raocow for "the worst".
video games
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Given I couldn't bring myself to watch YUMP... what was the joke with the goal sphere room? I didn't see anything that'd have killed you if you just grabbed the goal spheres, nor did I see any way in which the invisible blocks helped.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

Why are the most frustrating levels in the hack have only a 2* or 3* difficulty rating? I'm just about to start World 5 myself and the worst level by far was the Iceberg level in World 4 and that was 3*. Today's level looks even worse than that. I wouldn't be surprised if an outright Kaizo level gets a 1* difficulty rating which can take 2-3 episodes at this point. Like why have a difficulty rating system that has no meaning?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

YelseyKing wrote: 6 years ago Given I couldn't bring myself to watch YUMP... what was the joke with the goal sphere room? I didn't see anything that'd have killed you if you just grabbed the goal spheres, nor did I see any way in which the invisible blocks helped.
There was a YUMP level based entirely around finding invisible blocks which build a large structure that leads to the goal. Imagine if an entire level was expanded out of that goal sphere room, and that's what you'd have.

Also, you should really watch YUMP; even though it has some of the worst SMW levels I've seen, it also has some of the absolute best. I'm completely serious about that. (Though it's also why I have to tell people to watch YUMP instead of play it...)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Leet wrote: 6 years ago Also, you should really watch YUMP; even though it has some of the worst SMW levels I've seen, it also has some of the absolute best. I'm completely serious about that. (Though it's also why I have to tell people to watch YUMP instead of play it...)
Hyper VI reminded me of how much I enjoyed watching raocow's LPs of SMW hacks, so after I finish watching TSRP2R (which I ignored previously because I thought originally it was just a replay of TSRP2... and I'm actually really enjoying this one. Super well-made hack), I'll probably watch YUMP.

Even the infamous YUMP 38. :P

Moists:

Truckeeben

Post by Truckeeben »

Fun fact: my original plan for my MaGL the third level was to make a disco shell ride level. After this video, I'm actually kinda glad that I couldn't find the yellow koopa, because a shell ride might have actually scored worse than what I did submit.
morsel/morceau

Re: Hyper VI - It's Puzzle Time With Haimari (・∀・)

Post by morsel/morceau »

Answer to IQ puzzle:

In the hint room with the message box, a solid block in any vertical row of blocks indicates the correct path, and any non-solid block in the vertical rows indicates an incorrect path. Thereby, the invisible floor is squarely hinted at.
dont wanna jihad no more
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Well, that was a mess of a level in multiple ways.

But the boo laser on the stairs was a neat moment.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Marcaek

Post by Marcaek »

The bitterness in that "THE GREEN SWITCH HAS NO MEANING, ELL OH ELL" made me laugh p hard
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

There are certainly times when this hack makes design decisions that I find a bit baffling, but for the most part it makes a good effort to try out different things and push the limits of Mario design. Even if the risks don't always work out, it's been mostly interesting so far, and it's always enjoyable to see raocow having fun challenging himself in the SMW engine.

I'm still scared of what the endgame/postgame has in store, though.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Funnily enough, I watched a video not too long ago exactly on how the SMB water theme completely defined water music forever:

Also, this level seemed incredibly rom hacky ( or at least, moreso than a typical level in this hack with its multiple fake-outs and various gotcha moments, not particularly punishing though they may be ) but in a decently charming way. Except with the nonsense with the underwater pusher-upper and the rotomines that really needed to calm their nonexistent tits. Seriously, some of those things were just wayyyy too fast - I got stressed out just watching and imagining trying to navigate those on my own.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

SMB's water music was actually the first attempt as the overworld music. You can find this in a Iwata Asks interview.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Not *all* underwater music is calm and serene. I can think of a couple examples of hectic, frantic underwater music. Bubble Crab from MMX2, and the flooded ship hold stages in DKC2. :P

Granted, that I can't think of much *more* than that offhand kinda proves your point. But still! :P

Moists:

MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

YelseyKing wrote: 6 years ago Not *all* underwater music is calm and serene. I can think of a couple examples of hectic, frantic underwater music. Bubble Crab from MMX2, and the flooded ship hold stages in DKC2. :P

Granted, that I can't think of much *more* than that offhand kinda proves your point. But still! :P
Stickerbush Symphony was funnily enough originally made for a calm type of underwater level,
but since they never made one like that in DKC 2, we got good ol' Lockjaw's Saga.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

These last few levels have been surprisingly pleasant. I fear this is just the calm before the storm because we are approaching that level very soon. You know.. that level...
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Re: Hyper VI - Who Needs Secret Exits Anyways

Post by Veruchai »

So far Blocky Isle 4 & 5 are my favorite levels of this world I think.
Both of them had weird layouts that made them more interesting to figure out.
I probably prefer 4 solely by being a "normal" level, although after the midpoint seemed somewhat uninspired.
If 5 wasn't a red level that shortcut would have been far less confusing and in hindsight is very helpful in skipping the ResidentSleeper part.
The jumping skeleton ride was very funny and even the part where you go over the goal was cool.
If the level was shorter that would have been really great probably.