(shouting)

Hyper VI - Oh Haimari... Maybe It's Best We Part

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Stink Terios

Re: Hyper VI - Going Spelunking

Post by Stink Terios »

Dark levels should be used to test how bad your eyesight is is what I'm gathering from this entire thing.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

BTW this is why a lot of video games taking place in dark environments have a "darkness adjustment" at the beginning of the game! Assuming you follow the instructions correctly, the game will look the same to you as anyone else regardless of your monitor settings.

So, the real problem here is, that nobody has programmed that in asm.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Lighting adds to the atmosphere of the game and there's nothing wrong with dimming the lights in a level to affect the atmosphere. I thought it was pointless in this level, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea. The problem is when they go too far with the idea and forget (or don't care) that people have different settings for their monitors and TVs. People shouldn't have to perfectly calibrate their settings just to play a game. However, on the other hand, it is reasonable to expect the player not to be completely out of whack with their settings.

That's why I wish raocow would take that Black Level Test. I want to know if raocow's settings are super low or if the game is being unreasonable.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

hmm, if I close my curtains I can pass the test, but not with my curtains open
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

raocow has a quacking organ confirmed. It's between his nose and his eyes.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Leet wrote: 6 years agoyall need to stop watching videos with the sun shining on your screen
Has nothing to do with the sun. I have an IPS monitor with a tempered glass screen instead of the standard matte screen LCD panels have. Colors are much richer on this monitor than most but they are also significantly darker too. I couldn't see shit despite having blackout curtains in my room to prevent exactly the issue you're talking about. And that's regardless of my monitor's brightness settings too. My only solution was to use the CSS code I posted earlier.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

On my computer monitor I have literally found zero way to make that part of yesterday's video visible whatsoever beyond like maybe the outline of the big boo, but simply turning the brightness up on my phone made that part watchable. Screens have different qualities, yo.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

The Doctor wrote: 6 years ago Lighting adds to the atmosphere of the game and there's nothing wrong with dimming the lights in a level to affect the atmosphere. I thought it was pointless in this level, but there's nothing inherently wrong with the idea. The problem is when they go too far with the idea and forget (or don't care) that people have different settings for their monitors and TVs. People shouldn't have to perfectly calibrate their settings just to play a game. However, on the other hand, it is reasonable to expect the player not to be completely out of whack with their settings.

That's why I wish raocow would take that Black Level Test. I want to know if raocow's settings are super low or if the game is being unreasonable.
I think the level was "carefully" calibrated to be juuuuust visible, but, again, on Haimari's monitor. That's nonsense. Imho, for darkness gimmicks, go big or go home. For example, I dislike Tomb of the Giants in Dark Souls because I think the skeleton dogs are horseshit enemies, but the darkness I'm perfectly okay with. It is absolute a few steps in front of the character with some key exceptions:
- the eyes of the enemies: you will see them from a distance even if you can't see anything else. That's fair! The dogs don't have glowing eyes, though. I think that's an okay escalation though, not part of their many problems.
- the glow of items: incentive to explore and hints at paths you might have overlooked.
- the white, shining arrows being slowly fired at you: you will be attacked by unseen skeletons from the dark, but you CAN see and react to their projectiles.
- you might have found a Lantern beforehand (it's a random drop from any Necromancer and a guaranteed one from the last one you kill if you haven't gotten any before), but you will also find one in the area itself. This requires you triggering a rather obvious trap (Patches), but you want to do that anyway, right? He's a friend!
- you can see light in the distance; and that is also where you need to ultimately go.
- Bonfire are fires! They shine!

These are all things that mitigate the darkness and play with it in a reasonable way, imho. Turning up the gamma won't help you any afaik because it is very deliberately black outside of the help the game offers; but it does offer that help, and I think it's enough. Unless you really like hiding behind a shield and enemies that don't deal insane damage with barely readable animations. Then, uh, it's sadly still not fun.

in conclusion: Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I dub this ghost house as the most controversial and polarizing talkhaus moment of the year so far

I also dub morsel/morceau's post as the most inappropriate analogy of the year so far
FourteenthOrder wrote: 6 years ago On my computer monitor I have literally found zero way to make that part of yesterday's video visible whatsoever beyond like maybe the outline of the big boo, but simply turning the brightness up on my phone made that part watchable. Screens have different qualities, yo.
It's the opposite for me. On the phone I could barely tell that some things are there, but it's not at the level of worth playing/watching, and turning the phone lights from half to max did not help this. On my monitor I could actually see enough to tell what's going on for gameplay purposes (this is during nighttime with the lights somewhat turned off). That doesn't mean I think it should be like that, though.
Money

Re: Hyper VI - It's Ice Time Mr. Guy!

Post by Money »

Today's video made me a LOT more pessimistic about the future of this project. Seriously, an honest to God kaizo trap? Straight up not being able to see enemies at ALL?

The second level at least had a semi-interesting gimmick, even if it's buried under layers of jank.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Interestingly, people are compaing about not seeing in that Ghost House, but not complaing about Aquaria. Somewhat curious to know what makes it work in Aquaria.

*shrug*
Last edited by SAJewers 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

MoneyMan wrote: 6 years ago Today's video made me a LOT more pessimistic about the future of this project. Seriously, an honest to God kaizo trap? Straight up not being able to see enemies at ALL?

The second level at least had a semi-interesting gimmick, even if it's buried under layers of jank.
This might genuinely be the hardest romhack raocow has ever played, and it definitely isn't always fair about it either.
We gave raocow ample warning about this fact after he made his intention to play this known, and yet he still decided to play it. There is going to be a lot of bullshit in this game, and it will be rightfully criticized in this very thread, but raocow does share some of the blame here, so as a viewer it's better if we adapt the mindset of a sadist asap, otherwise the next month and a half will be as frustrating for us as it inevitably will be for him.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

best game
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Was that indeed the intended way of beating today's first level? The whole "exit to one space over of nothing" on the map screen seems decidedly less than legit.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Voltgloss wrote: 6 years ago Was that indeed the intended way of beating today's first level? The whole "exit to one space over of nothing" on the map screen seems decidedly less than legit.
The better way is to place the p-switch in such a way that it blocks Mario's path so that he can't walk into the water. Doing it this way will usually result in the p-switch running out too early, but raocow got a bit lucky here.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

cozyduck wrote: 6 years ago
MoneyMan wrote: 6 years ago Today's video made me a LOT more pessimistic about the future of this project. Seriously, an honest to God kaizo trap? Straight up not being able to see enemies at ALL?

This might genuinely be the hardest romhack raocow has ever played, and it definitely isn't always fair about it either.
We gave raocow ample warning about this fact after he made his intention to play this known, and yet he still decided to play it. There is going to be a lot of bullshit in this game, and it will be rightfully criticized in this very thread, but raocow does share some of the blame here, so as a viewer it's better if we adapt the mindset of a sadist asap, otherwise the next month and a half will be as frustrating for us as it inevitably will be for him.
Harder than S. Mario?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

That post-midpoint 1up in today's second level may be the first time in a long time I've seen a 1up be truly consequential. raocow would have been game overing and having to do redo the first half without it.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Lol I really liked today's video. Funny thing is if raocow hadn't died when he did in the second level, he very likely would've made it to the end and not found the mechanics frustrating/broken at all because he wouldn't have been forced to keep using them long enough to realize that. There were so many close calls in that level where he seemed to survive dangerous setups through luck.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

That was such a brilliant video--so many weird things happened! If you don't instinctively like 3-1 you shouldn't play/watch this hack because it's going to get worse (by which I mean better) and also worse (by which I mean worse).

I liked the climbing gimmick so much I made my own version of it that (mostly) works. It is hard to make it work properly with just a block, as Haimari uses (I used levelasm as well). But there is definitely more janky garbage to look forward to.
dont wanna jihad no more
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

lolling at the awful traps and then gimmicks

This is fun to watch so please continue torturing yourself until it's no longer fun for you, then play a little more.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

cozyduck wrote: 6 years ago as a viewer it's better if we adapt the mindset of a sadist asap, otherwise the next month and a half will be as frustrating for us as it inevitably will be for him.
Mwahaha, burn raocow, burn! May you run out of lives by mistake and have to redo an entire world!

Realistically, I have no intention of playing this hack, but I think this LP will be... interesting...
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago

Harder than S. Mario?

Yes.

morsel/morceau wrote: 6 years ago
I liked the climbing gimmick so much I made my own version of it that (mostly) works. It is hard to make it work properly with just a block, as Haimari uses (I used levelasm as well). But there is definitely more janky garbage to look forward to.
So as someone who played through your homage level once with a ps4 pad and once with an usb snes pad, I would say that (like haimari's level) your level is incredibly frustrating using the former but only mildly annoying using the latter. The gimmick only kinda works if the player is capable of doing very clean directional inputs, which unfortunately is very difficult with most dpads available (especially the xbox one, shudder). Otherwise it is just way to easy to get accidently caught on the vines when you jump off.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

By 'working' I meant that I'd fixed 1) that you are pushed even if you aren't climbing and 2) that you are pushed at different speeds depending on which part of you is touching which part of the vine; I didn't mean to say I'd made a 'good' version of the level. It's interesting to hear your remarks about the controllers. Of course, I made it on a keyboard, and if you play it so, you will probably find it too easy; this is because I tried to imagine that I was using an SNES controller at least so it wouldn't be impossible if that were the case for the player.
dont wanna jihad no more
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years agoInterestingly, people are compaing about not seeing in that Ghost House, but not complaing about Aquaria. Somewhat curious to know what makes it work in Aquaria.

*shrug*
Well in Aquaria raocow insists on making things harder for himself rather than the game just being unfair. He has a pet that would provide light outside of sun form but he refuses to use it, instead opting for an offensive pet which is utterly useless since he actively avoids combat.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Paragraph wrote: 6 years ago Image
my favorite part of all that foresight and planning in the tomb of the giants is how literally none of it was applied to the skeleton wheel hell in the painted world, since everyone that doesn't have a super high gamma monitor can never see the instant death stunlock coming until it's too late

...I want someone to do an LP that's basically just an extended tutorial on the dos and don'ts of excellent and terrible game design using solely Dark Souls as the examples for both.