(shouting)

Mario Land 3: Wario Land - FINAL - Dinar

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Mario Land 3: Wario Land - Dollar

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Wario Land is built basically from re-writing the code to Metroid 2, that's why the status bar at the bottom is so similar, and oh so many of the sound effects are identical.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Excited for the Wario Land series. I believe I've beaten all the Wario Lands at least once, but 3 and 4 in particular were a huge part of my childhood. 3 was actually straight up my first ever Gameboy game period but I can get more into that when we get there. But even just hearing and seeing the instrumentation, music style, sound effects, sprite work, etc. brings back so much nostalgia. It's a really great series.

AND ACTUALLY this is reminding me, Wario Land had a way later sequel on the Wii, Wario Land: Shake It. I'm not sure how good Wii emulation is these days cause I haven't looked into it in a long time, but is that possibly on the table for a play through? If I recall, the entire gimmick of the motion controls was just shaking the Wii remote, which could easily be mapped to a button. But I also don't remember if there was anything else.
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Wario Land is the game I bought with my OG Game Boy back in the day and I played the heck out of it. Haven't touched it in awhile, this LP should be fun.

Also, when raocow says this is a 100% run, does that mean he'll be grinding coins to get the best possible ending, or will he be satisfied with the ending he'll normally get as a result of getting all the treasures? I guess we'll see!
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I wonder how well raocow would do without the Jet Potion/Helmet..?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago AND ACTUALLY this is reminding me, Wario Land had a way later sequel on the Wii, Wario Land: Shake It. I'm not sure how good Wii emulation is these days cause I haven't looked into it in a long time, but is that possibly on the table for a play through? If I recall, the entire gimmick of the motion controls was just shaking the Wii remote, which could easily be mapped to a button. But I also don't remember if there was anything else.
yes... YES! I barely played any of this game but it would be a great foray for raocow into the world of the Wii... (or with a wiiu, which he already has, and a capture card, he could use a physical copy)
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago AND ACTUALLY this is reminding me, Wario Land had a way later sequel on the Wii, Wario Land: Shake It. I'm not sure how good Wii emulation is these days cause I haven't looked into it in a long time, but is that possibly on the table for a play through? If I recall, the entire gimmick of the motion controls was just shaking the Wii remote, which could easily be mapped to a button. But I also don't remember if there was anything else.
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php? ... hake_It%21

If someone wants to look into it, go ahead.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

Ashan wrote: 6 years agoAND ACTUALLY this is reminding me, Wario Land had a way later sequel on the Wii, Wario Land: Shake It. I'm not sure how good Wii emulation is these days cause I haven't looked into it in a long time, but is that possibly on the table for a play through? If I recall, the entire gimmick of the motion controls was just shaking the Wii remote, which could easily be mapped to a button. But I also don't remember if there was anything else.
It emulates pretty dang well, the only real issue will be having a Wii Remote in use because the game uses the gyro in it for aiming your throws (which is kinda necessary for some of the bosses/level challenges).
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Fantastic game. I'm already getting hives from the rampant disregard for coin collecting, though. I knew it was gonna happen and I still wasn't prepared.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I already love this game it looks great
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

raocow, not playing the gambling game ever isn't going to work. There is no way you will get the necessary 9700 coins by the last level without it.

As long as you don't go for all 3 buckets, you should make out better than Proton Jon attempts.
My strategy for the bucket minigame: Choose the left one once, maybe twice, but NEVER 3 times. Watching Proton Jon's LP, the winning side was usually the left one.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Xenesis wrote: 6 years ago It emulates pretty dang well, the only real issue will be having a Wii Remote in use because the game uses the gyro in it for aiming your throws (which is kinda necessary for some of the bosses/level challenges).
If that's the case it's probably better off just being played on an actual console.
Has raocow done any LPs with his capture card yet?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Nope. Nada. Zilch.

Eh, with the Nintendo Switch he got raising the bar, he'll probably get one for next year. Or his birthday.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago Nope. Nada. Zilch.

Eh, with the Nintendo Switch he got raising the bar, he'll probably get one for next year. Or his birthday.
Apparently he does have a Capture Card; someone sent him one once.

Question is wether or now he still has his WiiU.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

I remember playing Wario Land on an emulator when I was young. I don’t remember how far I got, but I didn’t know you could throw coins until today, so I probably never made it out of the second level.
Looking forward to seeing the rest of the game.
Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago raocow, not playing the gambling game ever isn't going to work. There is no way you will get the necessary 9700 coins by the last level without it.

As long as you don't go for all 3 buckets, you should make out better than Proton Jon attempts.
I'll second on the gambling minigame being necessary. If you don't play it, you'll have to either replay a bunch of levels at the end, or resort to cheating.

However, it is mathematically correct to play the gambling game all 3 times every time, as long as your coin count doesn't exceed 666. if you get that far, take the money and run!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Eh, I always fail on the 3rd 50/50 chance. Mario Party 3's Game Guy taught me that at a young age.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I just remembered, there is actually a cheat in the game that let's you edit anything in the HUD. Don't tell raocow...
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Rice Beach was always a place that had a particularly strong impact on me as a child, since it's a beach level in a video game, yet it's overcast, grey-and-white in color (like everything on the Gameboy, admittedly, but it feels as though it would be such even in full color), and generally feels as though it's cold and windy, and that's the sort of environment which sets my heart a-flutter. Which is why it always annoyed me that SMW haxxors so often felt the need to do tributes to it, but try to force it in to a blue-sky-n'-yellow-sand mold. Because who can imagine a beach which isn't solely there for sunbathing and playing volleyball? Pirates, that's who. Pirates cannot only imagine a beach where such activities are not taking place, they would probably rate their piest to make whoever tries them walk the shank. Consider your timbers shivered, beach bums.
SpoonyBardOL wrote: 6 years agoAlso, when raocow says this is a 100% run, does that mean he'll be grinding coins to get the best possible ending, or will he be satisfied with the ending he'll normally get as a result of getting all the treasures? I guess we'll see!
I mean, the best ending is strictly non-canon, as it were, since the sequel starts from the second-best, i.e. the one you invariably get if you collect all the treasures but don't engage in coin grinding, so...

I think we all know Raobert's true dream in life is to live in a hollow tree, however...
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

I never used gambling to get money, I grinded coins out by replaying a particular level like a dope. You might think it was Course 06, shown at the end of today's video, but you'd be wrong. There's a better level for coins later on.

Oh and Wario's default hat is a Safari Hat. Which is kind of a weird choice, I always wished his default hat in this game was his actual default hat.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I usually have around 1000 coins by the time I beat the first boss.

For someone who tries to avoid grinding in the games he LPs, raocow is making it pretty inevitable he'll have too later.
Oh well, I guess I'll drop the issue for now.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: Mario Land 3: Wario Land - Pound

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Oh man, Wario Land's pretty good. Well, all of them are varying degrees of good, I feel. The dynamic overworld is something super cool, and it isn't exactly limited to this one instance... but more on that later. We have some gambling to analyze.

So from ProtonJon's playthrough of this, we know that he gambled quite a bit... and got burned quite a bit, too. The heart game is not worth it due to the lack of good prizes and difficulty, and the whole life situation is never really in peril, so it's not exactly necessary in the first place. The coin game itself is probably worth it, but risky. It has a pattern of sorts that switches it up by one, three, or zero flips of the pattern each time. I can understand the hesitation of raocow gambling away big money amounts... and it might work out, given what happens to the unlucky...

Also, for the entrepreneuring cow of raos, you can make that animation before choosing the bonus games faster with a button. Unless you want to smell the post roses, this is a thing that can be done.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Mario Land 3: Wario Land - Pound

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

I don't know if raocow is planning to get the best ending, but in the case he is, it is always worth it to gamble.

It's a bit complicated, but basically in the case of a double or half bet that you do 3 times, if you succeed in the first attempt, you should leave with your money, but if the first one is a fail, then you should bet all 3 times.

Think of it like this, if you bet 100 coins and fail 3 times, you end with 12 coins, but if you succeed twice after a fail, you still get 200 coins.

And though not in your favour, 3 wins is 800 coins.

And of course, if you win right away, you also get 200 coins.

So in other words, a win has more positive value than a loss has negative value.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)