(shouting)

SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Epilogue

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Effortless

Post by YelseyKing »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago
Taigiry wrote: 6 years ago Leave it to raocow to break every puzzle.

Also 30 coins for a leaf doesn't seem like a good deal at all.
Although it's worth noting that you don't really have much to spend coins on in World E, lives are useless (Game Overs do... nothing, really), and perhaps chests can give other items as well.
Reserve items are fairly useless as well, given you can exit stages at any point, and you keep your current powerup. If raocow wanted, he could just go back to the level from a couple days ago and get a Tanooki Suit whenever, for instance.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Mineyl

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Emotional

Post by Mineyl »

Man, I had some wonderful Yoshi's Island flashbacks with that whole "which one-way door do YOU choose!?" situation in A Towering Tour. :lol:
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Exhaustion

Post by Sugar »

By the way, red floating mines are instant kill even if you have a power-up. For some reason.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Exhaustion

Post by Kilgamayan »

RunMan: Race Around the Castle
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Elastic

Post by Grounder »

C team?

Ouch.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Everything

Post by Leet »

Technically the correct pronunciation is "Lava Bubble", which is even worse
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

I was expecting raocow to say the title of the level like this.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Always nice to have a level nearly done and make one mistake that forces you to replay it over and over because you were mentally done after that. I felt that pain.
Lockirby2

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Enemy

Post by Lockirby2 »

After implementing Capes and a multitude of different enemies, their midpoint technology seems pretty silly. :P
Sugar

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Enemy

Post by Sugar »

Lockirby2 wrote: 6 years ago After implementing Capes and a multitude of different enemies, their midpoint technology seems pretty silly. :P
I'm not so sure if it was supposed to be a midway point, the level in question is just huge, and doesn't fit on a single e-reader card that has about 3KB limit.

On sidenote, the biggest e-reader level in terms of level size is "Bowser's Last Stand", and it pretty much uses the entire storage capacity of a e-reader card. The smallest one is SMB 1-4.
Sebby19

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Engage

Post by Sebby19 »

So the levels really are stored on the cards? I thought it was on the cartridge, and the card was simply to unlock it.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago So the levels really are stored on the cards? I thought it was on the cartridge, and the card was simply to unlock it.
I imagine that if it was done like that, then it'd be extremely easy to play the e-reader content with a level select code or something.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

It basically functions like DLC. Once you scan the data, the game cart keeps it in the Save area. I think the cartridge uses a bigger save format as a result?
video games
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago So the levels really are stored on the cards?
Yes. Well, as far GBA version is cornerned, the Wii U VC version stores them directly in a ROM. When scanning, they are saved (just like saves or level replays), so that they could be played.

In theory it's possible to make your own level cards with your own levels, print them (with a good printer and paper, quality matters here), and play them on Game Boy Advance, even. Would love to try out this, but unfortunately I only have European version of SMA4 which has no e-Reader support.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

Yes. Well, as far GBA version is cornerned, the Wii U VC version stores them directly in a ROM. When scanning, they are saved (just like saves or level replays), so that they could be played.

In theory it's possible to make your own level cards with your own levels, print them (with a good printer and paper, quality matters here), and play them on Game Boy Advance, even. Would love to try out this, but unfortunately I only have European version of SMA4 which has no e-Reader support.
That also means that someone could very much make a GBA Save file to have custom levels on it in a very modular fashion, right?
video games
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years agoI only have European version of SMA4 which has no e-Reader support.
Apparently, the e-Reader stuff is all still in the European ROM, and was even translated. It's just... well, inaccessible.

https://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_Advance_4: ... an_World-e

In fact, looking at that whole page, holy hell is there a lot of unused stuff. Two extra floors in the e-Castle. A whole bunch of unused objects. Inaccessible but fully-functional bonus card effects. For all that *was* implemented, it feels like Nintendo had even *bigger* plans for this project. Shame it was a bust.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I liked the dripping pipe in the background of Boom Boom's room. Did that ever actually show up in the original SMB3?

Also Bowser's Last Stand is made all the better by the fact that he just shows up again three levels later.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Mandew wrote: 6 years ago

That also means that someone could very much make a GBA Save file to have custom levels on it in a very modular fashion, right?
This is basically telling me that there is a potential SMA4 Romhacking scene that requires extremely little hacking and really only needs a level editor made for it
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

And so it ends.

It's interesting to look at this, because it's kind of a transitional game between SMW and NSMB. Although it feels more like Brutal Mario with the amount of custom stuff it throws at you once or twice and the levels aren't the best designed levels by a long shot.

Also Treacherous Halls was called Coro Coro Castle in the unofficial translation.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 6 years ago And so it ends.

It's interesting to look at this, because it's kind of a transitional game between SMW and NSMB. Although it feels more like Brutal Mario with the amount of custom stuff it throws at you once or twice and the levels aren't the best designed levels by a long shot.

Also Treacherous Halls was called Coro Coro Castle in the unofficial translation.
That's actually kind of funny, because some of the really odd and quirky design philosophies seem to be something in common between NSMB and these e-reader levels. What's even funnier is comparing the e-reader levels to the vanilla game - It really does feel amateurish in that sense.
video games
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Kind of felt like the Lost Levels of SMB3 there at times, but with ideas from all the Advance games.
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

I have to say, I used to think that The Lost Levels was the most romhacky thing Nintendo officially published as a romhack masquerading as a game, but these sure could give it a run for its money.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

What would even be in that list, Lost Levels, All Night Nippon, this, what else?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago What would even be in that list, Lost Levels, All Night Nippon, this, what else?
Vs. Super Mario Bros. deserves to be included. Maybe the Yoshi's Island Advance secret levels? I heard those were a thing.
Truckeeben

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Epilogue

Post by Truckeeben »

Man that "auto-runner, except for two seconds it's not an auto-runner" level is so weird...