(shouting)

SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Epilogue

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Economics

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Taigiry wrote: 6 years ago Question is, what would be the best way to share the file for people who want? Do people still use IPS patches or is it xDelta nowadays? I don't play many romhacks, so i'm terribly out of the loop.
IPS patches are not used anymore, they have been outdated at SMWC for over a year in favour of better BPS patches.
Never used an xdelta file though and I know nothing about them.
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

xnamkcor wrote: 6 years agoProbably because they are all the same address. Ignoring quantum dates, a memory address can only be one value. Fin what the switch affects and make a code to affect that directly, then maybe you'll have a better chance.

PS: Upon further inspection, the values may be the result of binary flags. Try 83002D52 0553 or if you wanna just have fun and maybe crash the game, try 83002D52 FFFF.

Does the game give you a list of all the cards activated?
Oh, I'm aware they share the same address, hence me saying you'd have to merge the addresses into one code, which, luckily, isn't hard to do. For example, if you want to activate all the released cards, you'd use 83002D52 0F53. I just pointed it out to say that the emulator isn't "smart" enough to merge them on its own, for lack of better word. So you have to do that instead. Also I just tried 83002D52 FFFF and it seems to activate all the effects (though if my math is correct, 7FFF should be enough for that), even the unused ones without any kind of problem. Of course I didn't really play so much as I just tried, but I couldn't notice any glitches and the likes from entering that excessive value. The obvious downside is, you activate everything, so you can't really mix and match what you want.

As for your question, nope, no pop-ups or anything. Maybe there would've one if you would scan the cards legit, but if you just enter a cheat to activate the effects, there's no notification. Interestingly enough, you can activate most (all?) effects via cheats in the stage and it will immediately take effect, so no need to reload a stage by exiting and re-entering.

Although I did notice that the two 1UP cheats aren't compatible with each other. You can only have either the 3UP Moon or the 3 single 1UP Mushrooms active. So sadly, you can't get 3x3UP Moons.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Taigiry wrote: 6 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 6 years agoProbably because they are all the same address. Ignoring quantum dates, a memory address can only be one value. Fin what the switch affects and make a code to affect that directly, then maybe you'll have a better chance.

PS: Upon further inspection, the values may be the result of binary flags. Try 83002D52 0553 or if you wanna just have fun and maybe crash the game, try 83002D52 FFFF.

Does the game give you a list of all the cards activated?
Oh, I'm aware they share the same address, hence me saying you'd have to merge the addresses into one code, which, luckily, isn't hard to do. For example, if you want to activate all the released cards, you'd use 83002D52 0F53. I just pointed it out to say that the emulator isn't "smart" enough to merge them on its own, for lack of better word. So you have to do that instead. Also I just tried 83002D52 FFFF and it seems to activate all the effects (though if my math is correct, 7FFF should be enough for that), even the unused ones without any kind of problem. Of course I didn't really play so much as I just tried, but I couldn't notice any glitches and the likes from entering that excessive value. The obvious downside is, you activate everything, so you can't really mix and match what you want.

As for your question, nope, no pop-ups or anything. Maybe there would've one if you would scan the cards legit, but if you just enter a cheat to activate the effects, there's no notification. Interestingly enough, you can activate most (all?) effects via cheats in the stage and it will immediately take effect, so no need to reload a stage by exiting and re-entering.

Although I did notice that the two 1UP cheats aren't compatible with each other. You can only have either the 3UP Moon or the 3 single 1UP Mushrooms active. So sadly, you can't get 3x3UP Moons.
For some reason, if you freeze the value for the Reserve Item, after you get the mushroom it turns into tanooki suit, but because off the fact that you don't get "hit" when losing a suit, the box doesn't drop the item when you get hit.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Money

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Exasperating

Post by Money »

Called it

SMB3 Parabeetles are hell. One tile jumps are enough of a thing, but one tile moving target jumps from one tile moving platforms is a deadly combination. If there was just a biiit more leeway, Parabeetles would be SO much better (the NSMB games they appear in have them about two blocks big so take that as you will)
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

A random note: because raocow is now playing the official Wii U rerelease, the level names from level 11 onwards will have the official translations.

Yeah, Parabeetles are bigger in the 2 levels that they appear in NSMBW and NSMBU, but their top is more spherical than flat.

With the number of times raocow has changed the rom, this almost feels like the zombie A2MT lp
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

We talked about this last year when I was doing SMB3, but World 5 really throws some crazy stuff at you. That fortress on the ground level with some silly jumps and the Parabeetle level in the sky. Those things were still a pain in one of the one secret exit stages in NSMB Wii, too.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Use

A

Leaf
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm so used to just holding the button rather than tapping that I don't even know if a leaf would have helped that much
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

33002C2E 000E to add a cape to your first inventory slot.

Yeah, no way am I updating my save with that stage, especially given I did everything with Mario and Luigi. It looks like the level designers thought about how to make the most unfun stage possible. It's a stage entirely made of moving one-tile jumps, completely above a giant bottomless pit with the stiff SMA4 physics. All it needed was some wind and it would've been perfect.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Taigiry wrote: 6 years ago the stiff SMA4 physics
Are the physics different from SMB3?
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

Voltgloss wrote: 6 years ago
SMA4 uses the Graphics and Physics from the Super Mario Allstars Game for the SNES. The Jumping Physics are very different from the original NES Game, which u can see in the first Videos when he used Luigi.
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

The parabeetles that moved to the right actually looked to have some weird quirk whenever raocow would jump. It looked like it'd move him to a specific coordinate relative to the parabeetle before actually doing the jump. The normal ones looked to mostly be an issue for raocow because he seemed to be treating them as if they were stationary rather than moving to the left. Or at least that's how it appeared considering how most of his deaths on those ones ended up. (Or at the very least still aiming too far to the right.)
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I casually replayed the e-Reader stages when I heard raocow was doing this so they'd be fresh in my mind and I just kind of... skipped this one? I feel kind of like I'm cheating for that but I just really didn't feel like going through this again right now. Parabeetle jumps are always so ugh.
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

Voltgloss wrote: 6 years ago
Maybe it's placebo, but to me they do feel off. I still like to play the NES SMB3 from time to time, but when I did that save with the e-Reader levels it just wasn't any fun. Even playing the normal non e-Reader stages felt like a chore.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Elevated

Post by YelseyKing »

Moving one-tile platforms, in an auto-scrolling stage. Fun times. I did not like that stage, myself, either.

It's a lot easier if you have a leaf or feather, though. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Truckeeben

Post by Truckeeben »

cow kept saying the level isn't bad, it's just parabeetles aren't for everyone; yeah no I think the level's just bad. Like, the people who enjoy parabeetles are probably 0.3% of the mario playing population
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

...I like Parabeetles. Even as a kid I was sorry that they were only in a single level. I wanted to see more of them.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

how does it feel to be the 0.3%
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I beat the parabeetle stage as Luigi by skipping as many jumps as possible. I actually enjoyed it too, though it could have just been because I had a fun audience at the time.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago how does it feel to be the 0.3%
It makes me sad knowing that so many people can be so wrong. :(

I think the problem is that they don't introduce the player to them with a safety net. Three seconds into their first and only level and you're standing on them above a bottomless pit. It's rough.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Is a safety net possible? Do the Parabeetles work outside of an autoscroll environment?
Alice

Post by Alice »

YelseyKing wrote: 6 years agoIt's a lot easier if you have a leaf or feather, though. :P
Best choice is with a frog suit.
The Doctor wrote: 6 years ago...I like Parabeetles. Even as a kid I was sorry that they were only in a single level. I wanted to see more of them.
I never really minded them much myself either. I don't know that there's enough ways to use them that it wouldn't get old very quickly but I thought they were pretty interesting nonetheless.
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

AuraLancer wrote: 6 years ago Do the Parabeetles work outside of an autoscroll environment?
They sure do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py1XHhxYqwo

For the record, I love parabeetles in smw. When combined with smb3 physics though, not so much.
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

I'm usually the exact opposite of an angrycow fan, but there is something inherently funny about those cut off Noo grunts when missing the A coins.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Veruchai wrote: 6 years agoI'm usually the exact opposite of an angrycow fan, but there is something inherently funny about those cut off Noo grunts when missing the A coins.
Personally I'm a fan of the really unexpected deaths that take you a second to work out such as the one where he was on the screw platform and managed to bonk his head on the underside of the other one (something I hadn't realized was even possible) and screwed up his timing so he just sank to his death.