(shouting)

SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Epilogue

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Epilogue

Post by YelseyKing »

Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
BuzzNBen
First name: Ben

Re: raocow's next Mario-related project

Post by BuzzNBen »

Spoilers, it's Super Mario Bros Doomsday

Mario 3 E-Reader Levels

Yeah.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

I'm super excited about this project, because most people haven't put in the effort to play these.

Maybe someday raocow will play SMB3 with the cards activated that all the SMB3 levels have things like the turnips added and stuff?

ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Money

Post by Money »

The e-reader levels super interested me as a kid, the prospect of combining elements from so many different mario games in one was so cool to kiddo me. I also appreciate how a lot of the levels take a lot more design risks than usual. The e-reader levels are definitely some of the most "romhack" feeling things from any official mario game, for better and worse (today's levels being straight smb1 remakes is one such example).
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Since the e-reader levels are already on the table, I'm gonna suggest the 6 Special levels from the GBA version of Yoshi's Island, for the future.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i would proooobably feel ripped off if for some reason i only had the classic card(s)
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

When holding items, like shells, Frog Mario stands upright. It's possible that pose exists in the game and is used.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

okay so these e-reader levels do WAY MORE than I expected them too. already.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago okay so these e-reader levels do WAY MORE than I expected them too. already.
Did one of them empty your trash bin?
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago Did one of them empty your trash bin?
looking forward to the undertale LP
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

There are two levels I'm super looking forward to. So excited.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

In an amazing coincidence (perhaps less amazing in that I am also a Qubic Tom fan) I tried to play this last night. But I couldn't get it to work within five minutes so I gave up and went to bed. I'm still unsure whether to play it myself or just watch this series.

It is always fascinating, as someone who dabbles in hacking, to see the official Nintendo approach to the business. The Japanese SMB2, that Mario Maker lauch party or whatever it was called, and now these Mario 3 levels, all seem to commingle janky goodness, half-arsedness, bizarre difficulty and kaizo bullshit in the most endearing fashion. Not for them interminable dialogues and dressing everyone in Santa suits.
dont wanna jihad no more
YelseyKing

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Excellent

Post by YelseyKing »

raocow, if you'd like, I can provide you with a ROM that's patched properly and doesn't have the levels beaten... and as a bonus, also has an additional patch applied that gets rid of the voices. :P

I mean, you don't *have* to, but, well, just offering. :P

Moists:

Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

No, the voices are a mandatory listening experience. How could you suggest otherwise?
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I feel like dealing with the voices is part of the experience
I don't like 'em but it's part of the game so I don't want to get rid of 'em
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

raocow, a couple of years ago, someone made a patch for SMA4 with all of the e-reader levels already in it. No extra hoops to jump through or anything, and no save files where progress has already been made by someone else. You might want to use this patch instead of whatever whoever gave you: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2714/
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Mineyl wrote: 6 years ago raocow, a couple of years ago, someone made a patch for SMA4 with all of the e-reader levels already in it. No extra hoops to jump through or anything, and no save files where progress has already been made by someone else. You might want to use this patch instead of whatever whoever gave you: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2714/
That patch was taken down. I had the foresight to save it as soon as it appeared on RHDN, though, figuring just that would happen.

Moists:

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I was about to reply asking if there are significant differences between the original SMB3 and SMA4 (like screen size) and then I learned that the e-reader levels were specific to the GBA version.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

YelseyKing wrote: 6 years ago
Mineyl wrote: 6 years ago raocow, a couple of years ago, someone made a patch for SMA4 with all of the e-reader levels already in it. No extra hoops to jump through or anything, and no save files where progress has already been made by someone else. You might want to use this patch instead of whatever whoever gave you: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2714/
That patch was taken down. I had the foresight to save it as soon as it appeared on RHDN, though, figuring just that would happen.
To quote a totally random person who I won't name: "What about the fact that since the "changes" made by the patch were patches made by Nintendo and most certainly their copyright.".
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

YelseyKing wrote: 6 years ago That patch was taken down. I had the foresight to save it as soon as it appeared on RHDN, though, figuring just that would happen.
Ugh, that's what I get for not reading. I guess the fact that the page is still there doesn't necessarily mean that the download is. Silly me.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago
To quote a totally random person who I won't name: "What about the fact that since the "changes" made by the patch were patches made by Nintendo and most certainly their copyright.".
I've heard that argument before, and I'll say the same thing now that I did then: The ROM itself is "Nintendo's property", and is as such in that form illegal. Why the legality of a patch that utilizes something Nintendo themselves did is somehow a legal issue whereas ROMs themselves are *not*, perhaps I'm just not *getting*.

Moists:

xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago

I've heard that argument before, and I'll say the same thing now that I did then: The ROM itself is "Nintendo's property", and is as such in that form illegal. Why the legality of a patch that utilizes something Nintendo themselves did is somehow a legal issue whereas ROMs themselves are *not*, perhaps I'm just not *getting*.
ROMs are not hosted on RHDN, just the data used to patch it(usually differential data that when applied to the ROM results in the patched ROM). So, in that way, no illegal content is on the site, because the differential data is not owned by the original game rights owner and they have no copyrights to the data.
That is how the patch to add the official levels differs. Those additions were made by Nintendo and they have copyrights to it.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago ROMs are not hosted on RHDN, just the data used to patch it(usually differential data that when applied to the ROM results in the patched ROM). So, in that way, no illegal content is on the site, because the differential data is not owned by the original game rights owner and they have no copyrights to the data.
That is how the patch to add the official levels differs. Those additions were made by Nintendo and they have copyrights to it.
ROMs are not hosted on RHDN, no. I never claimed they *were*. However, the big issue here appears to be "Nintendo owns copyrights of these additions", which doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, because the *ROMs themselves* are *also* covered by Nintendo's copyrights, and yet no one complains about the legality of raocow LPing ROMs of official Nintendo games.

Basically, I'm not saying that anything you claim is *wrong*, just that I don't see how the legal issues of a patch that adds data to a game Nintendo made, are any worse than the legal issues of ROMs and emulators to begin with. Yes, RHDN does not have the right to host what's essentially an official hack, but it doesn't make the hack itself any more or less of an issue, at least from my perspective, than the SMA4 ROM itself.

Moists:

xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago ROMs are not hosted on RHDN, just the data used to patch it(usually differential data that when applied to the ROM results in the patched ROM). So, in that way, no illegal content is on the site, because the differential data is not owned by the original game rights owner and they have no copyrights to the data.
ROMs are not hosted on RHDN, no. I never claimed they *were*. However, the big issue here appears to be "Nintendo owns copyrights of these additions", which doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, because the *ROMs themselves* are *also* covered by Nintendo's copyrights, and yet no one complains about the legality of raocow LPing ROMs of official Nintendo games.

Basically, I'm not saying that anything you claim is *wrong*, just that I don't see how the legal issues of a patch that adds data to a game Nintendo made, are any worse than the legal issues of ROMs and emulators to begin with. Yes, RHDN does not have the right to host what's essentially an official hack, but it doesn't make the hack itself any more or less of an issue, at least from my perspective, than the SMA4 ROM itself.
Oh, your issue is with raocow playing the games. I personally believe that falls under "IDGA*"/"NGA*" territory. And the community itself probably just says Don't Ask; Don't Tell.
Dustinvgmaster
Great Time Champion
First name: Dustin
Pronouns: obj_dustin.id

Post by Dustinvgmaster »

Very interesting choice of LP.