(shouting)

SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Epilogue

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Enigmatic

Post by YelseyKing »

Your hunch was right, raocow. That weird empty room *was* where the e-Coin was, and they *do* disappear once collected, provided you properly clear the stage once you've picked one up (you died after picking the one up in Vegetable Volley the first time, which is why it looked like it respawned). I really, as others have said, recommend getting a "fresh" save for the rest of this project.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Exciting

Post by SAJewers »

Stink Terios wrote: 6 years ago Ah, I get it. But from what I've heard, GBA sound emulation is far from perfect.
And some songs still sound better on the GBA than as GBAMusRipper conversion, since they were desing for the scratchy-ass speakers. Sorta like dithering not working on LCDs.
Yeah. It's a shame, because whatever good games came out on the GBA are IMO kinda marred by the crappy audio playback and oversaturation of graphics to compensate for no backlight (mainly early on).

also, looks like endrift is planning on something for the crappy audio stuff

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

"This is a Mario game, nothing should feel like garbage!"
Tell that to the Bee and Spring mushrooms.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Stink Terios wrote: 6 years ago "This is a Mario game, nothing should feel like garbage!"
Please explain the first one to me.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Grounder wrote: 6 years ago
Stink Terios wrote: 6 years ago "This is a Mario game, nothing should feel like garbage!"
I disagree with the Bee Mushroom, but the Spring Mushroom is the hottest garbage power up in the history of power ups. Like, possibly of any franchise. It is so uncomfortable to control and feels so much like butt that even mario isn't smiling anymore.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

The physics in this version of Mario 3 feel a bit off to me (you seem to have more momentum). And the screen size is utterly foul, as are the noises things make.

Having played ahead a little, I can sate the guys who made these levels were assholes and one was a Paul Simon fan.
dont wanna jihad no more
Wind Fish

Post by Wind Fish »

You know what's worse?

The SMW P-Balloon.

Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Grounder wrote: 6 years ago
It's really clunky and slow.

P-Baloon also extremely counts. I would say it wouldn't because SMW doesn't require you to use it to do anything crazy, but then I remembered Tubular exists.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: SMB3 e-Reader Stages - Economics

Post by YelseyKing »

That note block level... man, those things are just so irritating in SMB3. I'm *very* glad they changed the physics of them for SMW.

Also, I think getting all 110 coins in that level just gives you some 1ups or something. Nowhere near worth the effort.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

This is actually the first time I'm seeing all those stages. I never really cared enough to play through them myself once the eShop version came out, due to the SMA4 just feeling off to me. And being European, we never got the card reader back in the day as well.

Also seems like the new save is actually missing one of the three PR stage, "Mad Dash" in this case. Why not simply use the eShop version which already comes with everything unlocked by default. I could give rao the file with a save that goes up to where he is, if he would be fine with that.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Taigiry wrote: 6 years agoWhy not simply use the eShop version which already comes with everything unlocked by default.
Probably doesn't matter to raocow for this LP, but based a a few mins of research I did, you don't have access to the other e-cards with the eShop version (mainly the difficulty switches and the special powerups)

With a Special save of the normal SMA4 you do have access to those cards, but you can only have max 32 e-reader levels (there are 38 levels)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

raocow at 12:11 wrote:WHOA I CAN GO DICK NOW
uhh
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yes that is exactly 100% what I said
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Over a decade of G-rated purity and now this

I am disappoint

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years ago Over a decade of G-rated purity and now this

I am disappoint
Now, now. You can't forget the Dickbeards!
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Money

Post by Money »

ATAB: All Thwimps Are Bastards

Also im expecting a one level video tomorrow.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I remember SMB3 having really tight physics, but maybe they're just different than what you're accustomed to with all the Game Boy floaty town stuff you've been doing lately.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago I remember SMB3 having really tight physics, but maybe they're just different than what you're accustomed to with all the Game Boy floaty town stuff you've been doing lately.
It doesn't help that the game is operating at what appears to be 15 FPS
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

The double fire bar is a really neat concept for how incredibly simple it is. I'm amazed I hadn't seen it in any capacity before this.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

"Won't you come sing with me?". "Probably not. That'd be weird".

https://www.youtube.com/user/raocowstalkhaus
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Silly raocow, Mario jumps much higher in SMB3 and can easily make it to the final A-coin in Piped Full of Plants with a running jump. No power-up necessary! Also, the rule for the Venus Fire Traps is that they launch one fireball in world 1 and two fireballs for the rest of the game; however, the designers took more creative liberties with them in e-reader town and intermixed the two.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago
Taigiry wrote: 6 years agoWhy not simply use the eShop version which already comes with everything unlocked by default.
Probably doesn't matter to raocow for this LP, but based a a few mins of research I did, you don't have access to the other e-cards with the eShop version (mainly the difficulty switches and the special powerups)

With a Special save of the normal SMA4 you do have access to those cards, but you can only have max 32 e-reader levels (there are 38 levels)
Oh yeah, I meant it has all the stages unlocked by default, but you can get access to all the effects of the switches with a Gameshark, which every half decent GBA emulator should support. TCRF has all of them, in fact, there are even unused but fully functional effects lower down, including a SMW item box. All of those still work in the eShop version. If you want to enable all of them at once, the code would be 83002D52 0F53 (some of them only affect the main game though).

Question is, what would be the best way to share the file for people who want? Do people still use IPS patches or is it xDelta nowadays? I don't play many romhacks, so i'm terribly out of the loop.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Taigiry wrote: 6 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago

Oh yeah, I meant it has all the stages unlocked by default, but you can get access to all the effects of the switches with a Gameshark, which every half decent GBA emulator should support. TCRF has all of them. All of those still work in the eShop version. If you want to enable all of them at once, the code would be 83002D52 0F53 (some of them only affect the main game though).

Question is, what would be the best way to share the file for people who want? Do people still use IPS patches or is it xDelta nowadays? I don't play many romhacks, so i'm terribly out of the loop.
IPS and xDelta are both still in use.
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

Playing through those levels myself and boy... Luigi is so much not fun. Fighting two Boom-Booms at once with him was bad, but that ice cave full of note blocks? Pure nightmare. Oh, also regarding the first stage of today's video, you don't actually need the leaf to get the last coin, you can get on top with a fully charged running jump, even with Mario, just barely though.

Well, here it is. The zip contains an IPS patch, a save file that goes up to where raocow is (Swinging Bars of Doom) and a cheat file for VBA to enable the switches, even the unreleased ones, courtesy of TCRF. Downside is, you can only enable one at a time, unless you merge the codes together. But activating multiple cheats in that list at once, will only enable the last one listed and ignore all the others.

I also filled the item slots with 18 feathers and 18 boomerangs, because i don't think you can actually get those in your inventory without using the cards. All in all, I think that's the most complete it's gonna get, it has all 38 stages without having to juggle save files, all switches as cheats and the inventory full of feathers and boomerangs. I can't think of anything that's still missing. With this, raocow should be able to showcase everything, if he's interested, that is.
xnamkcor wrote:IPS and xDelta are both still in use.
Good to know, thanks.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Taigiry wrote: 6 years ago Playing through those levels myself and boy... Luigi is so much not fun. Fighting two Boom-Booms at once with him was bad, but that ice cave full of note blocks? Pure nightmare. Oh, also regarding the first stage of today's video, you don't actually need the leaf to get the last coin, you can get on top with a fully charged running jump, even with Mario, just barely though.

Well, here it is.But activating multiple cheats in that list at once, will only enable the last one listed and ignore all the others.
Probably because they are all the same address. Ignoring quantum dates, a memory address can only be one value. Fin what the switch affects and make a code to affect that directly, then maybe you'll have a better chance.

PS: Upon further inspection, the values may be the result of binary flags. Try 83002D52 0553 or if you wanna just have fun and maybe crash the game, try 83002D52 FFFF.

Does the game give you a list of all the cards activated?