(shouting)

Aquaria: The Thread (Is No Longer A Corporate Entity) final

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
strongbadman

Re: Aquaria: The Thread©

Post by strongbadman »

Yeah, combat is kinda unwieldy because everything's the mouse and the game tends to expect a lot out of you. Good thing the game also supports you stuffing your face all the time! Especially later on when you have more options for healing.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Stuffing your face while pausing to heal? did Bethesda make this game?
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

FusionWarrior wrote: 6 years ago Stuffing your face while pausing to heal? did Bethesda make this game?
Nah, it was made by Nintendo 6 years later :lol:

still salty that botw has such an awful healing system
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Alright, now that you're getting acclimated, I don't think this game is going to take too long. Not unless you start secret hunting. I predict 50 episodes at most.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

raocow now passed where I stopped playing, way back when.

And I think his strategy of "just going" is actually a great idea. You can go for a long time without save points here, and I stopped playing because I'd had to re-explore the same big area about four times -- which is far too slow if you're bothering to hunt and gather.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

M I T _ _ _ A S
_ E C _ O N S
_ O U

LETTER BANK
A C D E G I M N O P S T U W X

Unless I misread something, any letter in the Word Bank that isn't in the "phrase", isn't a possible letter.

Something Beckons You?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

For the Fish Cave song, how about try an hourglass pattern?
Maybe also try counting how many of each colour of fish there are?

And make sure you do a complete circuit a couple times in one direction, so you make sure you have found the start and end. Same thing with the square pattern.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I feel so torn on this lp. On the one hand, the game itself is kinda boring. On the other hand, I want to know what's going on with the story.
kitikami

Re: Aquaria: The Thread Inc.

Post by kitikami »

The contrast between Naija's introspective monologues and her swimming around committing mass atrocities against the wildlife during gameplay is really jarring to me.

Maybe either the morph ball or the seahorse can swim against currents since they go faster than default Naija? Could be worth trying if the opportunity ever comes up. Also, it's easy to forget with everything going on in the game, but the shield seems like it's pretty much made for people who want to do raocow's stay-in-default-mode-and-swim-past-everything-while-exploring thing.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

kitikami wrote: 6 years agoAlso, it's easy to forget with everything going on in the game, but the shield seems like it's pretty much made for people who want to do raocow's stay-in-default-mode-and-swim-past-everything-while-exploring thing.
Isn't shield only useful for projectiles though? While that would certainly help some, raocow's primary problem seems to be running into enemies which deals some rather absurd amounts of damage.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

It seemed like there were also times he was getting sniped from offscreen enemies or having to deal with stuff shooting at him while trying to dodge since he wasn't fighting any of the things that shoot at him, but maybe it's not much of a difference maker. Now that you mention it, it does seem like contact damage is more often an issue.

Part of the music really reminds me of this guitar solo for some reason even though they don't really sound similar at all:

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

You picking a direction and just gunning it forever, isn't working out for you, is it?

When you bring up the map, there are pink sparkles to the east. I think everytime the sparkles appeared, that is where you are supposed to go.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Alice

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years agoYou picking a direction and just gunning it forever, isn't working out for you, is it?

When you bring up the map, there are pink sparkles to the east. I think everytime the sparkles appeared, that is where you are supposed to go.
At the very least picking a direction and going with it but keeping his head rather than panicking (maybe putting a little more thought into where he's going to begin with would help too) when he starts getting bombarded with enemies would help. Also maybe a little more caution when he's trying to heal so he doesn't have a repeat of what happened today, lol.
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

Alice wrote: 6 years agoIsn't shield only useful for projectiles though? While that would certainly help some, raocow's primary problem seems to be running into enemies which deals some rather absurd amounts of damage.
Shield is only good for projectiles, yeah.

That being said, raocow would probably stop hitting literally everything if he tried to play with WASD + Mouse, because it grants a dramatic increase in mobility just due to being able to react and thrust well, plus Naija's hitbox is actually fairly small. But Rao is being rao about it, so I'll just laugh when he headbangs against some of the much later sections.
kitikami wrote:Maybe either the morph ball or the seahorse can swim against currents since they go faster than default Naija?
The game is pretty good at explicitly informing you when you can bypass certain generic world obstacles. Rao doesn't have the tools for currents yet.
Last edited by Xenesis 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

When dodging the fast laser:
raocow wrote:What were my options?
Perhaps pushing off the wall would have given you the speed needed to outswim it? You have to think and perform that rather quickly.
Last edited by Sebby19 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Maybe it be beneficial to use your charge shots a little bit more, like when surrounded by enemies.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19

Re: Aquaria: The Thread (LLC)

Post by Sebby19 »

The final part with the stream of large fireballs... I think putting on the shield would have the best option.

Can't you put on the shield, and then combine it with the Attack form?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Xenesis
Syogun Changer

Post by Xenesis »

It's been a very long time, but you should be able to stack pull + shield + form all at the same time if you cast them fast enough if my memory still serves me.

Beast form's gonna be fun. Rao can go pretty much anywhere now.
Xenesis
Syogun Changer

Post by Xenesis »

I did not expect rao to progress that way here, but hey. Open world metroidvania gameplay means that you can mostly do what you want...

He trivialised what was normally a pretty tough fight too. :lol:
Sebby19

Re: Aquaria: The Thread (Brought to you today in part by Captain Planet and the Planeteers)

Post by Sebby19 »

Wow, two bosses and 2 new forms. Isn't that a lot of progress!

After extensively watching the game, I can determine it's not really raocow's fault he's having a hard time (well, some of the time). I find it really silly you actually CAN'T combine the shield with other forms. How the heck are you supposed to dodge a blitzkrieg from the 2nd boss, and attack back at the same time? In my opinion, it was more dumb luck than skill that rao didn't get hit more than he did.

I will advise rao should use his charge shot more. The perfect time to have used is during the first boss is when you are waiting for her to summon those bouncing guys. You could've taken out (or a least severely damage) 3 of them right out of the gate.

Good job today, otherwise!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Xenesis
Syogun Changer

Re: Aquaria: The Thread (Brought to you today in part by Captain Planet and the Planeteers)

Post by Xenesis »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago Wow, two bosses and 2 new forms. Isn't that a lot of progress!

After extensively watching the game, I can determine it's not really raocow's fault he's having a hard time (well, some of the time). I find it really silly you actually CAN'T combine the shield with other forms. How the heck are you supposed to dodge a blitzkrieg from the 2nd boss, and attack back at the same time? In my opinion, it was more dumb luck than skill that rao didn't get hit more than he did.
That's one of the reasons you really, really, really want to use the quick change shortcut keys and the mouse+keyboard scheme. You can very quickly pop on the shield, deflect the hits then pop onto Energy form and shoot shots. Like you've obviously noted, this is almost literally impossible to do with the mouse alone.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

i mean there's also the fact you can move with keys and do singing seperately with the mouse but raocow seems to be stubborn about that
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Plutia wrote: 6 years agoraocow seems to be stubborn about that
is anyone surprised?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Alice

Post by Alice »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years agois anyone surprised?
raocow being unnecessarily stubborn and making things harder on himself than they need to be is basically a staple of watching raocow at this point. I very seriously doubt he'll ever change that bad habit.