(shouting)

Aquaria: The Thread (Is No Longer A Corporate Entity) final

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Aquaria: The Thread™

Post by Grounder »

Naija's narration is already grating on me.

My god, it feel pretentious.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I remember when I played this game way back when, I got frustrated by the slow pace of exploration, and by re-exploring stuff after I died. Early in the game, after swimming the same long-ish loop several times because I hadn't managed to save that progress (gotta highlight that map, man!), I kind of never came back.

I absolutely believe it's as great as people say, and I assume the moment-to-moment action gets more interesting than what I saw, but I didn't have the patience for the early game.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Check if the game uses X Input or Direct Input for gamepads. Make sure your grandpa isn't not the one the game uses. If the game wants X Input, you can use x360ce. I don't know of anything to do the opposite.

If the game insists you use mouse and keyboard and you need to use a gamepad, buy XPadder. It has keyboard to gamepad assignments and mouse movement/positions/buttons to gamepad assignments. You can even manually assign things to analog sticks and set the deadzone and bias toward cardinal and diagonal directions. I prefer deadzone of about 95-99% so the stick doesn't trigger a direction until the difference between directions is the largest.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I have a strong feeling this is gonna be a slow one, and a long series at that, because it clocks in about twice as long as Ori on average and that ran for 25 episodes.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 6 years ago I have a strong feeling this is gonna be a slow one, and a long series at that, because it clocks in about twice as long as Ori on average and that ran for 25 episodes.
Yeah, I'm considering not even bothering with a title gimmick with this one at the current pace.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I might at some point change the thread title to 'fish game'
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

Yeah, this is going to be a long one. Longer if raocow visits optional paths and the like, longer still if he (like me) gets stumped on where to go in places. And that will happen, make no mistake.

But this game's cool. It's very 2007, and the narration may be a bit not great, I appreciate that it tried.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I played this game in 2009 or so and I loved it at the time, but it's definitely much slower paced than most Metroidvanias. It's really relaxing, at least.

IIRC, the guy who worked on this (Alec Holowka) is also responsible for Night in the Woods, which is a fantastic game everyone should check out, though nothing at all like Aquaria.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Swimmyvania looks like fun.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

FusionWarrior wrote: 6 years ago Swimmyvania looks like fun.
I personally prefer playing aquaticasphyxiationvania.

PS: Isn't this game more Metroid-like, so we should call it "Swimmydroid"?
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

ahh, the prequel to big fish legend the world was asking for

i played this a while back and it's dated and obtuse and i have no clue how it won the patapon poll over some of the other games but i mean it's not a bad game either.

anyways raocow is super being raocow all over it already
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Parama wrote: 6 years ago ahh, the prequel to big fish legend the world was asking for

i played this a while back and it's dated and obtuse and i have no clue how it won the patapon poll over some of the other games but i mean it's not a bad game either.
"this game is pretty and raocow likes it so i guess"

also nostalgia for people who played it before (who kind of failed to fully realize who'd be playing it in the lp)
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

raocow, those mysterious shapes match your singing symbols
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

If it helps:

edit: holy crap almost a year and a half since that
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago
"If people haven't had enough of me badly exploring places [..] this just might be your video game!"
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

All the youtube comments are talking about some "symbols", I sure can't see any. Can you?
whatsymbols.png
whatsymbols.png (567.98 KiB) Viewed 7507 times
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years agoraocow, those mysterious shapes match your singing symbols
You're telling me that the weird notes on the wall in the Cave of Songs is somehow related to the very obvious major mechanic of constructing songs? Wtf?!

That was actually one of the more infuriating moments of saying very impolite things to raocow during a video for me. It's one thing when it's not actually obvious but even if they outright spelled this one out for you it wouldn't really be much more obvious.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I'm hoping now that things are opening up the game will start going a bit faster.
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago Check if the game uses X Input or Direct Input for gamepads. Make sure your grandpa isn't not the one the game uses. If the game wants X Input, you can use x360ce. I don't know of anything to do the opposite.

If the game insists you use mouse and keyboard and you need to use a gamepad, buy XPadder. It has keyboard to gamepad assignments and mouse movement/positions/buttons to gamepad assignments. You can even manually assign things to analog sticks and set the deadzone and bias toward cardinal and diagonal directions. I prefer deadzone of about 95-99% so the stick doesn't trigger a direction until the difference between directions is the largest.
The game has no controller support, it was developed being either a mouse+keyboard only or touchscreen-capable game way back in the day. There is however an unofficial patch which adds a lot of features and under-the-hood improvements to the game, controller support being one of them.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

In 2007, if you were developing an indie game, "controller support" wouldn't be near the front of your mind. The people playing indie games were people used to playing games with mouse and keyboard.

You know how Super Meat Boy keeps scolding you if you play it with a keyboard? Super Meat Boy was right at that tipping point that was actually a bunch of tipping points. (I'm one of those people those messages were targeted at.)
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Xenesis wrote: 6 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago Check if the game uses X Input or Direct Input for gamepads. Make sure your grandpa isn't not the one the game uses. If the game wants X Input, you can use x360ce. I don't know of anything to do the opposite.

The game has no controller support, it was developed being either a mouse+keyboard only or touchscreen-capable game way back in the day. There is however an unofficial patch which adds a lot of features and under-the-hood improvements to the game, controller support being one of them.
Unless he needs to actually click specific things, XPadder will work. I used it for Ys Origin to let me play it like a twin stick shooter.
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

Ditocoaf wrote: 6 years agoYou know how Super Meat Boy keeps scolding you if you play it with a keyboard? Super Meat Boy was right at that tipping point that was actually a bunch of tipping points. (I'm one of those people those messages were targeted at.)
I actually still remember how controversial that statement was. Like everything else about that game that Edmund did that was controversial. :lol:

But yeah, 10 years ago controller gaming on a PC was a novel (or outright scorned) idea.
Paragraph

Re: Aquaria: The Thread©

Post by Paragraph »

Yesterday, I thought to myself "hey, it's really nice that the game shows you with a red glow on the map where the save crystals are so you don't miss them by going the wrong random direction". Well, I hope someone else noticed the red glow by now :D .
xnamkcor

Re: Aquaria: The Thread©

Post by xnamkcor »

Paragraph wrote: 6 years ago Yesterday, I thought to myself "hey, it's really nice that the game shows you with a red glow on the map where the save crystals are so you don't miss them by going the wrong random direction". Well, I hope someone else noticed the red glow by now :D .
As long as Teleport gems aren't Orange and the player isn't slightly color blind.