(shouting)

Super Mario Land 2 - Soar like a rabbit

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Super Mario Land 2 - oh apparently we're still using this thread for the second game

Post by Bean »

Pumpkin Zone's kind of odd in the sense that it has the most one level and done enemies in the whole game. I don't really dig haunted-themed levels, and this place doesn't do much to change that. The song in the spooky house level is pretty cool, though.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Super Mario Land 2 - oh apparently we're still using this thread for the second game

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote:I failed to get a life!
raocow confirmed for having no life.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

talk about a level that the secret exit is just do the level again but do something slightly different at the end!!!!11
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I once saw a video of a speed runner using a glitch with the pipes to fall under the stage. He fell for a bit until he landed on a mass of blocks. Drilling and phasing through those, he eventually descended into a garbled mess that represented the game's ram/code.

He drilled a specific block, representing the flag that plays the end cutscene, and 'beat' the game.
Once I find the video, I'll post it here.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago I once saw a video of a speed runner using a glitch with the pipes to fall under the stage. He fell for a bit until he landed on a mass of blocks. Drilling and phasing through those, he eventually descended into a garbled mess that represented the game's ram/code.

He drilled a specific block, representing the flag that plays the end cutscene, and 'beat' the game.
I've seen that one. In fact, I encountered that same glitch in my own run of the game earlier this year, although I only found the secret exit from it. Audio's a little off for that part since it's a failed take recorded from the computer instead of the game in this case.

The level in question doesn't have a bottomless pit flag in my scenario, so I'm guessing that's what caused it.
Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

Fun fact: If you get an item you don't want from an end-of-level bonus game, you can press Left to walk out of the room without collecting it. This is particularly useful if you have Fire or Bunny powers and get thrown a Mushroom, which would power you down if collected.
Mea

Post by Mea »

gotta say, I really like the way they had lighting on those bricks in that first spooky mansion level
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago I once saw a video of a speed runner using a glitch with the pipes to fall under the stage. He fell for a bit until he landed on a mass of blocks. Drilling and phasing through those, he eventually descended into a garbled mess that represented the game's ram/code.

I've seen that one. In fact, I encountered that same glitch in my own run of the game earlier this year, although I only found the secret exit from it. Audio's a little off for that part since it's a failed take recorded from the computer instead of the game in this case.

The level in question doesn't have a bottomless pit flag in my scenario, so I'm guessing that's what caused it.
That's the glitch all right.

Since the mess of garbage blocks represents the game's very data, I would advise against messing around in there. Accessing the game's code like that and poking it could cause Mario Land 2 to permanently bork up. It IS the code, after all.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

The YouTube comments may have spammed this info a whole bunch already, but beating the first secret level in Pumpkin Zone made those tiny humanoid eyes appear inside the giant pumpkin's eyes.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago That's the glitch all right.

Since the mess of garbage blocks represents the game's very data, I would advise against messing around in there. Accessing the game's code like that and poking it could cause Mario Land 2 to permanently bork up. It IS the code, after all.
Pretty sure ROM stands for Read Only Memory so you can't modify it during gameplay. The only thing that would permamently stay is changing the SRAM (or changing the RAM so much that it crashes and somehow corrupts the SRAM)
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I've never played this game. I have played one Wario game, Wario Land 3. So I've been amazed at how familiar these sound effects and music sound -- it's really apparent that the sound design of one descended from the other. (A bit of that in some of the art, too.)
Alice

Post by Alice »

Is it just me or are the powerups in today's secret level 100% useless? I don't recall any obstacles that would merely hurt you and you come in with a fireball to begin with.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago Is it just me or are the powerups in today's secret level 100% useless? I don't recall any obstacles that would merely hurt you and you come in with a fireball to begin with.
There's a small chance the ants up top before the secret exit door could hit you. That's it.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

It is possible to enter that level small if you get hit by the ants on the way to the secret exit.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
XionGaTaosenai

Post by XionGaTaosenai »

About the "why does Mario have a spook zone (or what have you) on his private island", I'm pretty sure that the "Mario Land" in this game isn't Mario's private estate but actually a theme park built in Mario's honor. All the wacky places around the island are supposed to be rides/attractions.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Bean wrote: 6 years agoThere's a small chance the ants up top before the secret exit door could hit you. That's it.
Makes a bit of sense then I suppose.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

So I just noticed today that the door says "Mario Land 2" on it.

Now, I know it's because of the game, but what the heck does that mean in-universe? Does Mario have not just one, but two private islands, and Wario struck when he was visiting the second one?
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Floppy Tail Snake...probably

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuchinoko
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

xnamkcor wrote: 6 years ago Floppy Tail Snake...probably

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsuchinoko

tsuchinoko real
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 6 years ago Image

tsuchinoko real
tsuchinoko real
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I ran through this game like one time several years ago so I don't remember much of it.

But man, you can see the team that made this game really got some creative control that the main series wasn't taking risks with or something. I'm more familiar with the Wario Land series, and I can really see the parallels between those games and this one. Especially in the music. That series was pretty weird too, but in a good way.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

I'm enjoying this LP so far. I played Super Mario Land 2 in my childhood but never owned it, so I borrowed it from a friend, beat it once, then never really made an earnest effort to play it again, so this "forced" trip down memory lane sure is pleasant.

Speaking of the early '90s, though, I thought I'd share the American commercial for this game with y'all:

A little scary, huh? Things sure were different back then.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

Ivy wrote: 6 years ago

tsuchinoko real
tsuchinoko real
tsuchinoko real
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Plutia wrote: 6 years ago
Ivy wrote: 6 years ago

tsuchinoko real
tsuchinoko real
tsuchinoko real
tsuchinoko real
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)