(shouting)

Super Mario Land 2 - Soar like a rabbit

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Super Mario Land - They're not fireballs, they're superballs

Post by Dragon Fogel »

The plane is called "Sky Pop".

But now I realize I don't remember what the submarine is. I think it might be "Marine Pop", but I'm not completely sure.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

So what you're saying is they are Mario's dads?
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

The boss before Tatanga (the latter of whom, it should be noted, is never referred to in the manual as an "alien" or "extraterrestrial", but consistently as a "spaceman", as presumably this was the only suitably undignified designation for Elf Bowser) is known as Biokinton. Phun Phact: according to the manual, Biokinton is not the cloud itself, but merely hides within the cloud, and his true form has never been seen. And considering Mario popped multiple caps in his conjectured ass until he erupted in to a sort of macroscopic dust mite/asterisk hybrid, presumably it never will be.

Before I played this game as a child (well, before I had ever gotten farther than Birabuto, at least), I read a walkthrough in a Book called How to Win at Super Mario Brothers. It was a purely text walkthrough (with no game images of any sort, even on the cover), in a similar vein to GameFaqs, as this was apparently at some point in history something one could get published in print form and furthermore successfully sell copies of. It also contained several inaccuracies (like claiming a set of mushroom blocks in a certain SMB2 Birdo battle were useless when in fact they're anything but), but that's neither here nor there. What's important is that it mentions that if you pursue a certain course of action, Biokinton will "pin you to the wall and kill you".

Now, at the time, I had no idea what this level looked like, let alone that it took place in the sky with Mario piloting a wee æroplane. So I just sort of assumed it took place in a dungeon made of limestone blocks or something, similar to 1-3. And when Biokinton pins Mario to the wall and kills him, he just sort of slams Mario spread eagle against the background wall, takes out a hammer and tacks two nails in to each of his sleeves and trouser legs in order to secure him to the masonry, and proceeds to slowly torture him to death. It was a most gruesome sight indeed. To discover that the real-life showdown was naught more than a sad chicken-wrangling affair was in some ways a disappointment, but also, at the same time, a great source of relief.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Jiangshi? OH BOY IS THAT A MOTHERFUCKING TOUHOU REFERENCE???
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years agoJiangshi? OH BOY IS THAT A MOTHERFUCKING TOUHOU REFERENCE???
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiangshi
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

that was, without a doubt, the greatest story ever told
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

So are we using this thread for SML2 discussion or should someone make another one?

I need to know where to be all pedantic and go "sharks don't have bones, they have cartilage".
Ashan

Re: Super Mario Land 2 - oh apparently we're still using this thread for the second game

Post by Ashan »

It's interesting that the seafloor tileset doesn't match up with what you stand on. Like, it's supposed to go into the background a bit I guess, so the dividing line between the floor and the background is above where you stand. I'm not explaining it well but you can see it at 6:20 in today's video. I've never seen that in a Mario game before.
Grounder

Re: Super Mario Land 2 - oh apparently we're still using this thread for the second game

Post by Grounder »

temp.png
temp.png (9.87 KiB) Viewed 4338 times
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I hate it when a small me bursts out of my head, perpetuating an endless cycle
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So next game after this is Super Mario 3D Land. Right?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Up Next on A Side: "All The Marios" /s
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote: 6 years agoæroplane.
why
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Ivy wrote: 6 years ago
Le Neveu de Rameau wrote: 6 years agoæroplane.
why
Hƿy not?
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

So, this happened at the end of the second level of episode 2.

Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Truhan wrote: 6 years ago So, this happened at the end of the second level of episode 2.
There's a screenshot of the same thing a few posts above you, it seems to happen at the end of the level sometimes
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago
Truhan wrote: 6 years ago So, this happened at the end of the second level of episode 2.
There's a screenshot of the same thing a few posts above you, it seems to happen at the end of the level sometimes
I literally didn't see it. That person must have done the time warp to beat me to it.

Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Apparently, you shouldn't assume there isn't a naming gimmick just because it looks like there isn't after the first episode.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Yeah, I had to edit yesterday's episode title in the OP cause you can't really catch this one until today's episode, haha
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I mentioned the second part of this on Discord, but I'll say it all here. The reason why a small version of Mario's head appears at goal doors is that it's loading going straight from a level back to the world map. In other words, it happens whenever you don't ring the bell at the end of levels. Since secret stages don't have bells to ring, it'll always happen then if Mario's big. Notice how it didn't happen when small Mario got to the sub's alternate exit, for instance.

And that skeleton fish is real hard to get around unless you duck. It's doable, but it's definitely the hard way.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

6 Golden Coins I remember playing (I don't remember if I beat it) and I see it as the strangest Mario game I've played. From what I recall, the worlds felt radically different, and then there was that single level in the overworld that feels out of place.

It's interesting that this game actually had pipes that do not transition to a different map.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Is it bad that the only things I know about this game is from raocow's playthough of Super Marisa World?
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

My reaction to seeing the last level of SML1 was definitely that it was from Super Marisa World.
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

i've played sml2 a couple times but apparently i'm not very observant cause there is a ton stuff in this lp that i didn't know about

like i've never heard the almost out of time song before lol
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Don't worry raocow, I just checked. Fish do not sweat. Cheep Cheeps might though.