(shouting)

Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 19 FINAL - Laser Statues

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 19 FINAL - Laser Statues

Post by QubicTom »

When I was too young to be any good at video games I had a Super Nintendo. I never made it past Donut Plains in SMW (as evidenced by the events of JUMP), and I never made it past the start of world 2 in Super Mario Brothers 3. Unlike with SMW, though, I never watched LPs of SMB3 on YouTube. I've heard a lot about the game but know absolutely nothing. And I needed an "easy" game to fill the days between progress in the hard games. So here's SMB3! But, uh, it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be!

Feel free to tell me everything I'm missing in the comments! I hope this isn't too infuriating to watch! :D

Ep1 - Prequel to the Sequel
Ep2 - Hot Hot Desert Sun
Ep3 - Desert Expedition
Ep4 - BOSS BASS
Ep5 - Morsel Blocks
Ep6 - "Everything's Really Big!"
Ep7 - Tanookiiiiiiiiiii!
Ep8 - Green Suede Shoes
Ep9 - Heaven is a very...
Ep10 - Impossible Puzzle Level
Ep11 - Greed
Ep12 - Emergency Measures
Ep13 - Murphy's Law
Ep14 - Plant Level
Ep15 - Yo! King of the Koopa
Ep16 - Wooden Tanks
Ep17 - Not Scripted
Ep18 - The Doors
Ep19 FINAL - Laser Statues
Last edited by QubicTom 6 years ago, edited 15 times in total.
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 1 - Prequel to the Sequel

Post by Peliptia »

ahh▵▵ i remember trying to play the gameboy advanced version ⟪i dont remember if that was this version or not?⟫ but never got use to the controls.

i am happy to get to watch along and see it now!
ImageImage
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 1 - Prequel to the Sequel

Post by QubicTom »

Peliptia wrote: 6 years ago ahh▵▵ i remember trying to play the gameboy advanced version ⟪i dont remember if that was this version or not?⟫ but never got use to the controls.

i am happy to get to watch along and see it now!
I heard that the GBA version let you revisit levels, but that may be wrong! I know basically nothing about the different versions of the game. But yeah, the physics is, uh, slippery!

World 2! I never beat this world as a child. So it's totally blind from this point out!
Ep2 - Hot Hot Desert Sun
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 3 - Desert Expedition

Post by QubicTom »

Couldn't come up with a title gimmick, but I'm glad this other gimmick has appeared accidentally....
Ep3 - Desert Expedition
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 4 - BOSS BASS

Post by QubicTom »

This thread sure is a hotbed of activity! At least the YouTube comments are pretty good for this series! :P
Ep4 - BOSS BASS
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

okay fine I'Ll post something

Every time you get a pair in that memory game, your prize is whatever you paired up, it's added to your powerup inventory.

spoilers
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago Every time you get a pair in that memory game, your prize is whatever you paired up, it's added to your powerup inventory.
I have displayed advanced levels of stupidity and general unawareness in this LP. Just like in the Jolpe game LP I was factually wrong about everything. Just goes to show that you can't trust doctors.

I wonder what today's video thumbnail will be?! Also, hello from Orleans, France :D
Ep5 - Morsel Blocks
morsel/morceau

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 5 - Morsel Blocks

Post by morsel/morceau »

Your reactions to things are always fascinating and hilarious. I would say you're in for a treat, as it is clearly the best Mario game (for me: and I should damn you since I play through this game every Christmas you're tempting me to jump the gun slightly), but some people have opinions about it and the completely unexceptionable physics; even if you don't feel the same as I do by the end it will certainly be a treat for the viewer.

"Feel free to tell me everything I'm missing in the comments!" I actually want to tell you nothing as it's more entertaining to see you gloss things wrongly :D .
dont wanna jihad no more
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 5 - Morsel Blocks

Post by QubicTom »

morsel/morceau wrote: 6 years ago ... as it is clearly the best Mario game ... but some people have opinions about it and the completely unexceptionable physics
I gotta say, I'm liking SMB3 a lot! I'm glad you're enjoying the series - I've been pleasantly surprised by how positively people have been reacting to this series (or any of them, in fact...). So, uh, when are you going to make an SMB3 style level? :D

Last episode from the first recording session. So tomorrow I'll record more, with all the knowledge people have shared thus far :)
Ep6 - "Everything's Really Big!"
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 7 - Tanookiiiiiiiiiii!

Post by QubicTom »

This game is so full of bonuses and secrets, it's fantastic :D
Ep7 - Tanookiiiiiiiiiii!
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 8 - Green Suede Shoes

Post by QubicTom »

What did I do wrong in this episode? D: All these boots everywhere but...
Ep8 - Green Suede Shoes
morsel/morceau

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 9 and 10 - Heaven is a very... and Impossible Puzzle Level

Post by morsel/morceau »

The impossible puzzle, as do all good smw puzzles (or perhaps I should just say all smw puzzles), has alternative, 'raocow' solutions where you do completely the wrong thing. Lookit:
---
Super Mario All-Stars (U)_00000.png
Super Mario All-Stars (U)_00000.png (9.01 KiB) Viewed 6033 times
Break the block on the way up, and jump down in here. Now the hard part: jump while still ducking, then stop ducking and try to spin the tail when you touch the ground and duck again quickly. If you don't manage to do this you just phase right through the blocks and will be unable to do anything before getting hit by the plants.
----
Super Mario All-Stars (U)_00002.png
Super Mario All-Stars (U)_00002.png (9.6 KiB) Viewed 6033 times
This easy way you almost reached in the video. You kill one of the plants with the tail and take damage (it might not be unavoidable) from the other. Then you go back down and collect the cape from the power-up block in the same room (you have to have not collected it, of course).
----
I think another way of beating the level might be to use a p-wing and fly over the first screen to the end (didn't try this though or have forgotten it if I ever did).

I think this is one of favourite levels as I remember being amazed by the concept of being stuck in a loop (there's another similar level I hope to see you struggle at).
dont wanna jihad no more
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 9 and 10 - Heaven is a very... and Impossible Puzzle Level

Post by QubicTom »

morsel/morceau wrote: 6 years ago Now the hard part: jump while still ducking, then stop ducking and try to spin the tail when you touch the ground and duck again quickly.
So you can spin break blocks from a one-tile gap by jumping, spinning and ducking again in quick succession? I want to see a JUMP version of SMB3 with those sort of weird tricks taken advantage of :)

Now for a strong example of my skill level:
Ep11 - Greed
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 11 - Greed

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

any reason you complete every level after getting a game over?

also, you're a lot better at that tile matching game than most people I've seen, who tend to just mash through it
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 11 - Greed

Post by QubicTom »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 6 years ago any reason you complete every level after getting a game over?
For the drama :D It's the same reason I don't use savestates in ridiculous levels in other games or give myself extra challenges (Medievil with starting weapons only, for example). I think the added tension makes the LP more entertaining! And, since it's a blind run, replaying levels means I get to find things I may have missed before too :)

Episode 13 will be a bit delayed due to technical difficulties (different sound desync on two audio channels, will need to edit in Premiere, which I'm slow at....)
Ep12 - Emergency Measures
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 13 - Murphy's Law

Post by QubicTom »

There's a death in the 13th minute, afterwhich the original recording broke in a whole bunch of weird ways. Video got lost, then video segments repeated. Game audio and voice audio desynced in different ways. I shifted the audio around, cut out broken bits, removed repeated video. Premiere wanted to take forever to process it, until I found better settings. Even the final product is a bit off in the last minute or two. But it's the best I could do! Really hoping these problems didn't happen in the next few recordings too :(
Ep13 - Murphy's Law
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 14, 15 and 16 - [Various Titles]

Post by QubicTom »

Episodes?!
Ep14 - Plant Level
Ep15 - Yo! King of the Koopa
Ep16 - Wooden Tanks

Spoilers: I haven't actually beaten the game yet. Ep16 is the furthest I've recorded (even though that was two and a half weeks ago!). Beating the game may not happen until this weekend!

And I appreciate the feedback on the videos in the YouTube comments - editing has been sloppy. I'll lean back towards "quality over quantity" and space things out a bit so I actually have time to watch the full video back and edit properly :D
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 17 - Not Scripted

Post by QubicTom »

I realized that my method for beating games is to just push the point at which I game over a little further ahead each episode until that point is past the final boss or final level. Seems effective!
Ep17 - Not Scripted
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 18 - The Doors

Post by QubicTom »

A one-level video where the level took nearly an hour to beat because I was a moron.
Ep18 - The Doors

What 'easy' game should I play next? I did some test recordings earlier, the PS2 emulator works very very well on this laptop. A Lord of the Rings game? Return to Destroy All Humans maybe? Or should I go for SMB2 All Stars edition?
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

SMB2J/SMB For Super Players/SMB The Lost Levels All Stars versions.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

QubicTom wrote: 6 years ago A one-level video where the level took nearly an hour to beat because I was a moron.
To be fair, this level is actually more confusing in the all-stars version because there's no visual difference between the two sides of the fortress.

Of course, your problem was never going right from the P-Switch, it's a weird kind of level where it's mostly confusing due to overthinking it.

It doesn't help that as you saw, there's a few questionable spots where you get killed going through a door if you don't react instantly.

Also, that star is interesting, if you get a path set up, you can actually use it to kill Boom-Boom, which spawns an upside-down ? orb.

Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused

Post by QubicTom »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 6 years ago Also, that star is interesting, if you get a path set up, you can actually use it to kill Boom-Boom, which spawns an upside-down ? orb.

Woah, I did not know that! There are so many little things like this I'm sure that I missed. But yeah, overthinking was my enemy here. But I still think it was an interesting fortress!

And so it ends. I really liked this game! Actually, if people could recommend a good, informative speedrun video of this game (all exits!) I'd really like that :D
Ep19 FINAL - Laser Statues

I'm going to miss the video thumbnail gimmick :P
Rockalbert

Re: Super Mario Brothers 3 [Blind] - 19 FINAL - Laser Statues

Post by Rockalbert »

Super mario is one of my favourites since i was a kid