(shouting)

Mario's Keytastrophe: Rebirth Edition - raocow finally does the key boss

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Mario's Keytastrophe: Rebirth Edition - raocow finally does the key boss

Post by Ashan »

1 - shamshel
2 - zeruel
3 - israfil
4 - matarael
5 - leliel
6 - gaghiel
7 - ramiel
8 - sandalphon
9 - FINALE - lilin

Looks like this might be interesting. I look forward to turning my brain off for most of this cause I've always sucked at puzzle levels.
Last edited by Ashan 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Mario's Keytastrophe: Rebirth Edition - raocow finally does the key boss

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 6 years agoLooks like this might be interesting. I look forward to turning my brain off for most of this cause I've always sucked at puzzle levels.
Compared to the old version I played awhile back, this one looks to be a lot simpler and straight-forward so far. It might have just been an issue with balancing but in the older one I only made it like 4-5 levels or so in before coming across a level I really struggled to figure out despite liking puzzles quite a lot myself.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I guess I should throw out a (short) bit of history regarding this.

The original Keytastrophe was the first hack I ever worked on, as well as the first released hack to have an entirely custom composed soundtrack (Addmusic was new in 2007). My original goal for it was to be like DK 94 and play out as a series of one-screen puzzles, but that quickly fell apart and it became a more traditional hack about two worlds in. At the time, it was well-regarded and praised, but looking back on it, I think it commits a lot of design sins that wouldn't really pass today. Still, I was proud of a few of the ideas I guess. Sadly, it was never completed, and was discarded after being about 60% done. It might be cool to see raocow give it a go one day, but I feel like it would make for a really cheesy LP (not to mention it probably wouldn't hold up compared to more modern hacks).

As for this version: the Rebirth edition, created 10 years after the original, is nothing at all like it. It's something I put together earlier this year for my own personal "closure" on the game. It's supposed to reflect what my vision for the original Keytastrophe was, a la one-screen levels. All of the puzzles are intended to be completed without glitches, key jumps, or anything like that, but they're also designed such that they CAN be beaten that way for a speedrunning approach. An example of this will likely come up tomorrow.

Some of the puzzles do get fairly devious later on, so I'll be curious to see how raocow works them out.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

When Mario's Keytastrophe first came out, I heard so much about it. And yet, I only really watched a video or two of Milesluigi playing it. So I'm really looking forward to watching this. Even if it's not the same game as the original, it's nice to see what the creator originally intended and I've always been a fan of one-screen puzzle levels. Plus, now I'm liable to go watch the original all the way through. So thanks for make S.N.N.!
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hey raocow, I thought you minimum video length was 8 minutes?

I want my patreon dollar back!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

tiny levels = tiny videos. I'm sorry that's the law.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

2/10 not enough awkward doggerel in the text boxes
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

I actually played a chunk of this and oh boy raocow's in for a treat.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I tried this a while ago. I like the idea a lot, but unfortunately many of the levels require better jumping skills than I have, so my progress stalled somewhere around ten levels in.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I think this hack is very LP appropriate since it feels tailored for the viewers to try to figure out the puzzles themselves while watching.

Are all the levels one-screen like this?
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Yes they are.
Bluster Kerfuffle
Master of Windy Import

Post by Bluster Kerfuffle »

Ah man I loved the original but never got around to playing this one, this is gonna be great
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

There's something familiar about the music in the first 2 levels of today's music and I think it's reminding me of the Beirut song
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I'm going to speculate that the red herring for today's first level was, in fact, the level title itself.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Herring is an example of what I meant in my previous post. I figured out what to do fairly quickly, but I had a lot of trouble weaving between the platforms and dodging the pollen at the same time. I had some execution difficulty with Strider, too, though it's less aggravating in a stage that's explicitly marked "challenge" and that doesn't gate further progress.

I made it a few stages further than this, but I don't remember what I stopped on.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years agoI'm going to speculate that the red herring for today's first level was, in fact, the level title itself.
That was exactly my thought. Reminds me of this. (That page is perfectly sfw but just a heads up to anyone not familiar with the comic, a lot of them are quite nsfw.)
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Oh man, I've been away from SMWC for too long. I completely missed this release. Keytastrophe was one of the first hacks I played way back in the day, and I always appreciated the concept of the GB Donkey Kong approach to its early game puzzles. I'm gonna' have to go download this and play ahead of raocow. :P

As for the video, when raocow got to Herring, I thought for sure it was going to have something to do with the Red Switch Palace up there considering the literary concept of a "red herring." Fooled me!
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
T-A-C

Post by T-A-C »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago There's something familiar about the music in the first 2 levels of today's music and I think it's reminding me of the Beirut song
it's from a Sonic ROM hack called S Factor. I have no idea what it's doing here.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

raocow wrote:This isn't a horror game.
Somewhere across the sea of time, a single tear runs down Boothoven's cheek, yet he does not know why.
Bluster Kerfuffle
Master of Windy Import

In the last level I think what you were """supposed""" to do after throwing a shell up there was hit the right-arrow block three times so that a bridge would be made for the shell to be kicked into the question block but then stop hitting it and start hitting the up-arrow block on the right so that by the time the mushroom gets out of the question block the brown block bridge starts retracting and the mushroom lands on the brown block tower you just created and slides through the red blocks and you grab it, then use the remaining shell to hit the up-arrow block on the left forever to get up to the keyhole.

i think
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

You're correct. raocow kept hitting the block, which causes it to roll along the top off-screen, but stopping after three allows the mushroom to fall through the red blocks (assuming you hit the up arrow block on the right).
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Yea I am bad at puzzles but I saw that that was what you had to do

raocow is mr tunnel vision man
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

This LP is pretty cool so far! I really like these short, concise puzzles. I only have a somewhat limited experience with working with lunar magic, but I know enough to realize that making a puzzle with lots of different elements while having only a limited amount of room must be very challenging.
Making an enormous, sprawling puzzle level like Roy's Castle in Vip5 is one thing, but there's something really neat about these tiny challenges. I feel like recently the SMW hacking scene has moved towards longer and longer levels ("the more midpoints the better") but I'm actually pretty sure that a shorter but more to the point sort of approach would work just as well.

The classic raocowian way of brute-forcing an obstacle until it works is definitely rearing its head though. This is not at all a bad thing, but it kind of makes me wonder how he'd fare against a "professional" puzzle game like the Talos Principle... Maybe a project idea for the future?
this is getting laundromatic
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

As somebody who 1) plays a lot of puzzle games and 2) has watched a number of puzzle game LPs by people who are considered to actually be pretty good at them, I honestly don't think raocow is all that bad at them.

There are always puzzles where you struggle to see what might be obvious to somebody else. More than once I've had a lot of trouble with a puzzle only to go "oh wait, that wasn't as complicated as I was making it out to be" once I either got a hint or beat my head against the wall long enough to get a solution. And I've had those shout-at-the-screen moments with LPers who play puzzle games regularly, too. Maybe raocow's more prone to them, but I don't think that makes him a bad puzzler.

Anyways, I checked my progress and it turns out I'm right where this video ended. I tried the blue challenge level, and I figured out what to do, but I had problems executing it. I did get the important moves right once, but hadn't figured out a very simple thing at the end and wound up getting stuck, and then I was too slow or clumsy at the hardest part on subsequent tries.

It wasn't even that hard. I think I'm just bad at the Marios.
Bluster Kerfuffle
Master of Windy Import

To be clear I wasn't trying to say "wow raocow you are such a bad logic" it's just I felt a very strong desire to verbalize my thought process upon watching the video. Probably because I finally registered here after, like, a decade of raocow.