(shouting)

Mario's Keytastrophe: Rebirth Edition - raocow finally does the key boss

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Mario's Keytastrophe: Rebirth Edition - raocow finally does the key boss

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Symmetry and Canvas were cool levels. I was kind of hoping to see more along those lines, but I guess it would be hard to think of interesting variations. There's probably something that could be done with making it tricky to move an object into a matching position, though.

Also, on Canvas you can hit the lower-left block just by shooting from your starting position.

Next video you'll see my least favorite level, the one I was just complaining about. After that, though, it's all fun stuff.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

It's really impressive to see raocow get to the last possible move in a successful run on a sliding puzzle level, fail, and not even seem to realize he was that close to winning it.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Flashfire is the level I mentioned regretting a bit the other day. The relationship with it tends to be love or hate - some people really like the action-oriented break, and others think it's a lazy level that deters from what the hack should be about. I kind of agree with the second one - I had another puzzle idea that would have used quicksand, but I never got around to designing it.

You should be able to finish off the hack tomorrow, raocow. Good luck with the last level.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

S.N.N. wrote: 6 years ago
Nimono wrote: 6 years agoBy the way! The music used in Canvas...isn't that from the original version of Keytastrophe? I kinda remember it!
Yep. The music in Canvas, Symmetry, and the map theme are all from the original hack (though remixed).
Yeah, I remember the music a LOT from the original hack. I guess it helps that it was the first hack with completely original music! Also Boothoven. I miss him!
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

The last two levels are pretty cool, I think you'll have fun with them.

What I wound up doing on Richter was swatting the goomba through the wall with my cape. I was kind of surprised that it worked.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 6 years ago What I wound up doing on Richter was swatting the goomba through the wall with my cape. I was kind of surprised that it worked.
I did this, too. I felt kind of foolish not realizing why the level is called Richter until raocow started trying to earthquake the goomba into the question block. :lol:
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Blue

Post by Blue »

S.N.N. wrote: 6 years ago Flashfire is the level I mentioned regretting a bit the other day. The relationship with it tends to be love or hate - some people really like the action-oriented break, and others think it's a lazy level that deters from what the hack should be about. I kind of agree with the second one - I had another puzzle idea that would have used quicksand, but I never got around to designing it.

You should be able to finish off the hack tomorrow, raocow. Good luck with the last level.
Clearly, the solution to that problem is to add in a ton of action puzzles so that feels like a standard level type instead of out of place. This also has the added advantage of giving the hack more levels, which is something else it needs because there aren't enough S.N.N. levels out there.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Blue wrote: 6 years ago
S.N.N. wrote: 6 years ago Flashfire is the level I mentioned regretting a bit the other day. The relationship with it tends to be love or hate - some people really like the action-oriented break, and others think it's a lazy level that deters from what the hack should be about. I kind of agree with the second one - I had another puzzle idea that would have used quicksand, but I never got around to designing it.

Clearly, the solution to that problem is to add in a ton of action puzzles so that feels like a standard level type instead of out of place. This also has the added advantage of giving the hack more levels, which is something else it needs because there aren't enough S.N.N. levels out there.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Thanks for playing the hack, and thanks to everyone else who enjoyed it/provided feedback on it!

See you in the sequel? (one day.. maybe.. SHRUG)
Bluster Kerfuffle
Master of Windy Import
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Bluster Kerfuffle »

Man this was so good! It was the perfect length too, I would have loved to see more but I'm pretty sure this is one of those cases where it ends just before the author runs out of ideas and starts reusing things, so it all feels very fresh and genuine in its completedness.

good job snn
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

honestly snn this just made me want you to do more stuff
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

This game was really fun to watch. It was definitely my favorite Mario LP in quite a while. The puzzles were really clever and interesting to think about while watching raocow play, and there was enough to the execution to still give the levels some tension beyond just figuring out what to do. The one-screen gimmick worked out really well too. Good job with this, SNN.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said. I'll just say that this was one of the best rom hacks that I've ever played. Clever puzzles, perfect length, great music, and originality out the wazoo. This was amazing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Definitely one of the better all-around hacks you've played in a while. It helps when there's a single focus with different elements presented that are then used throughout. Focused games like this are a nice reprieve from some of the collab stuff, and since it was shorter, it didn't have the usual overstaying its welcome or downturn in quality issue a lot of these hacks tend to have. Again, well done, S.N.N.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I've been pretty iffy on you playing SMW romhacks the last several years but I definitely enjoyed this one.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Ah jeez, I just realized even though I was keeping up with this series the whole time I hadn't been editing the OP with video links!
Sorry, raocow and anyone else!

Gonna go do edit them in just for the sake of posterity.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

I can't believe he finally beat the key boss after all these year.
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Jarogue

Post by Jarogue »

Anyway I can get a list of all the music in the game. Most of them were rad.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Jarogue wrote: 6 years ago Anyway I can get a list of all the music in the game. Most of them were rad.
A good number are found in SMWC's music section.

Title: One Must Fall 2097 - Menu
Map/Lesson/Symmetry/Canvas/End: custom composition
Return/Agility: Bowser Strikes Back - Peaceful Lands
Alliances/Length/Guidance: Touhou 13, Ten Desires - Desire Drive
Headache/Olympus: Alcahest - Sky Fortress
Herring/Foliage: Sonic & Silver: The S Factor - Spectra Valley Zone Act 1
Strider: One Must Fall 2097 - Arena 2
Demolition: Street Fighter II - Vega's Theme (Dark Remix)
Unstoppable/Construct: Socket - Treasure Castle
Spectrum: One Must Fall 2097 - Arena 1
Velocity: Golden Sun - The Elemental Stars
Suicide: Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei - Jakyou 1
Indiana: Luigi's Mansion, Dark Moon - Gloomy Manor
Chronos: Kero Blaster - Time Table
Hydrologic: Loonie - Contemplated
Grandiose: Touhou 5, Mystic Square - Alice in Wonderland
Polaris: Albert Odyssey 2 - Land of Frozen Forest
Sacrifice: Mushishi - Mushishi no Theme (Arranged)
Richter: Walk the Rugged Region (Custom composition by Ruberjig)
Flashfires: Shin Megami Tensei (SNES) - Battle
Wanefo/Perpetual: Jukka Kaartinen (Jugi) - Mess Center
Finale: Ghost Trick - The Last Desperate Struggle
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

wow i can't believe snn was secretly a touhou all along