(shouting)

Mario's Keytastrophe: Rebirth Edition - raocow finally does the key boss

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Paragraph

Re: Mario's Keytastrophe: Rebirth Edition - raocow finally does the key boss

Post by Paragraph »

I think raocow figures puzzles especially in SMW out on average probably quicker than I would, especially when you need some in-depth mechanics knowledge like koopa shell color interactions or shit like that.

However, what kills me when watching him play puzzle level is when he refuses to try stuff out because maybe his initial idea totally works??? Today we had an easily boppable block sitting around for a solid minute of raocow faffing about until he deigned try it, and there was a star inside, and well doesn't that info change everything?

But I guess many people play like that, and maybe I do too. Try to understand THIS part of the room before moving to the NEXT part even though the rooms can only ever work together and look there's a button in the next room that solves the first easily, you idiot!
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Bluster Kerfuffle wrote: 6 years ago To be clear I wasn't trying to say "wow raocow you are such a bad logic" it's just I felt a very strong desire to verbalize my thought process upon watching the video. Probably because I finally registered here after, like, a decade of raocow.
Oh, yeah, I wasn't really directing that at you or anyone else. Well, maybe at raocow himself because he's been all "man I'm bad at puzzles" in the past. It's just that "raocow's puzzle style" was the topic of conversation and I wanted to share my thoughts.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I decided that yelling at the screen is a waste of my energy
Mosts Awards:
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

ridiculous
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

raocow wrote: 6 years agoridiculous
is there a boggart in your wardrobe, raocow?

I'm looking forward to seeing raocow solve the later puzzles, the ones that took me a while to solve. I'm betting he'll find the solution easier than I did. Like in Herring, I never considered trapping the Mole above, I thought it was...a red herring, and that what you were supposed to do was get a perfect running jump up there without running into the Muncher! That one jump took me forever...
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Paragraph wrote: 6 years agoHowever, what kills me when watching him play puzzle level is when he refuses to try stuff out because maybe his initial idea totally works??? Today we had an easily boppable block sitting around for a solid minute of raocow faffing about until he deigned try it, and there was a star inside, and well doesn't that info change everything?

But I guess many people play like that, and maybe I do too. Try to understand THIS part of the room before moving to the NEXT part even though the rooms can only ever work together and look there's a button in the next room that solves the first easily, you idiot!
Usually before you try to carry out a plan though it's a very good idea to at least test out each relevant object in order to know how it could work into your plan to begin with. It's one thing when it's a complicated puzzle. But for a simple one that's going to be pretty easy to remember all the steps of it's better to figure out what everything does first.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

So I was able to get through Spectrum thanks to this, mostly because I didn't realize it was possible to spit out the shell and have it hit the block. I'd been trying to just drop it and then get the shell moving with Mario, which took more time.

I didn't watch the other levels right away after that, and instead stopped to make progress. I got as far as the next challenge level and cleared it, but the main path has a level that isn't making any sense to me right now. All I'm going to say for now is that I'm really looking forward to the next video.
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Post by Kapus »

I didn't think YUMP would be surpassed as my favorite raocow LP so soon, but here we are i guess!!

I'm a huuuuuuge sucker for puzzle levels, or any kind of obstacle that really makes you think. This hack is just completely comprised of that and I adore it. It also has superb choices of music so far (Desire Drive and Elemental Stars, top notch) and I'm really enjoying it. I might just download this hack and play it myself because I'm enjoying it so much.

Also, major props to the author of this hack, because I find that puzzle obstacles like this are really hard to plan and design. I'd love to design my own puzzle platformer in the future so this is some awesome inspiration.
Bluster Kerfuffle
Master of Windy Import
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Bluster Kerfuffle »

The ress blocks are kinda genius I gotta say
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Man, it sure is tough to solve a puzzle where you have to do literally the same exact thing you just did, so amazing that you figured it out.

The challenge level is pretty simple in concept, but it might take you a few attempts to execute. The next regular path level just confuses me.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 6 years agoMan, it sure is tough to solve a puzzle where you have to do literally the same exact thing you just did, so amazing that you figured it out.
Reminded me of past lps where he got a doublejump, uses it for several episode including the first part of the current one then just randomly forgets it exists.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

1. "Mushrooms are good, because they taste like garbage!" - raocow
2. "What? I love the taste of mushrooms!" - raocow
3. Ergo, raocow loves the taste of garbage.
4. Ergo, every time he's called something a "piece of garbage", it's actually been a compliment.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Been quiet on this series, but it's been fun to watch. Good work, S.N.N.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Indiana was the only level that I didn't really like, mostly because it was too slow (standing on the switch, waiting). All the other levels are good or very neat.
Mosts Awards:
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Hydrologic gave me a lot of trouble, probably more than any other level at the point I'm at, entirely due to expecting a level of execution that I couldn't manage consistently. There's four or five parts to the solution where you can be forced to restart because you timed things badly, so a somewhat sloppy player like me can take somewhere on the order of thirty attempts.

Most of the levels after this aren't that bad. There are some that demand tricky maneuvers, but failure isn't death (even if it is a restart) and that tends to make it less frustrating.

There's one exception. Which I'm still working on because it has an obtuse secret exit. You'll probably reach it in two videos.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

So, something to keep in mind when dealing with Rip Van Fish that you need to wake up for various reasons: a programming quirk causes them to wake if you're far enough away from them vertically. The RVF in Hydrologic can consistently be woken if you swim to the top of the screen when it's near the bottom row of tiles, so most of those resets from it falling back to sleep prematurely were unnecessary. D:
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Alice

Post by Alice »

What was the song for Grandiose? I know it's a Touhou track but I can't recall which one.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Finished it. The final level was cool, though it did give me some trouble.

Unfortunately there was one secret exit I couldn't figure out, and after getting through the rest I opted to just look it up in a video. It was not a particularly satisfying discovery, because I already had a hunch it was something like that; it's just that the level is a big pain to play and getting to a point where I could experiment was pretty rare, so I hadn't tried that specific thing.

And then the exit led to

a shortcut to the final level

. It was an unfortunate low note to end on.

But I've got all the exits now, and there were really only three, maybe four levels that I actually disliked. In all cases because they were execution-heavy and well above my skill level. I'm glad I pushed through and saw the better levels beyond them for myself, though.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago What was the song for Grandiose? I know it's a Touhou track but I can't recall which one.

While all the music in this hack so far is excellent, I'm often left wondering if long, weighty, and dramatic tunes like this one are fitting for doofy little one-screen puzzles.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Blue wrote: 6 years ago
Thanks, I knew I'd heard it somewhere.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 6 years agoit's just that the level is a big pain to play and getting to a point where I could experiment was pretty rare, so I hadn't tried that specific thing.
For what it's worth, I know the level you're referring to and of all the levels, it's the one I regret making the most (simply because it goes against the grain of what I intended for the hack). I'll add some commentary on that particular one when raocow ends up playing it.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

S.N.N. wrote: 6 years ago
Dragon Fogel wrote: 6 years agoit's just that the level is a big pain to play and getting to a point where I could experiment was pretty rare, so I hadn't tried that specific thing.
For what it's worth, I know the level you're referring to and of all the levels, it's the one I regret making the most (simply because it goes against the grain of what I intended for the hack). I'll add some commentary on that particular one when raocow ends up playing it.
yeah I didn't like that secret exit, either. I actually found it by accident!

By the way! The music used in Canvas...isn't that from the original version of Keytastrophe? I kinda remember it!
Blue

Post by Blue »

raocow, puzzles like that last one are easy to solve. Start with the single possible winning move and work backwards.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I tried that!
My short-term retention isn't good enough
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Nimono wrote: 6 years agoBy the way! The music used in Canvas...isn't that from the original version of Keytastrophe? I kinda remember it!
Yep. The music in Canvas, Symmetry, and the map theme are all from the original hack (though remixed).