(shouting)

Earthworm Jim 2 - Worms Armageddon

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Re: Earthworm Jim - Sidekicked

Post by Sturg »

Honestly, for a game for Windows 95, I expected lesser game quality.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

So yeah, I asked raocow what version of the game he was playing, then, when he asked back what (if any) differences there were, I went and did some research:

Genesis: The Genesis Release is the original release of the game, and is considered the baseline version of the game.

SNES: The game was also ported to SNES. While the visuals are apparently slightly better compared to the Genesis, it seems everyone decries the SNES version because of the difference in screen resolution between SNES and Genesis. It's also missing the level Intestinal Distress.

SEGA CD: A Special Edition was released by Shiny for the SEGA CD. All the music was replaced with High-Quality Redbook audio, expands some levels (such as the nude sliding segment in the first level), and adds in a new level, Big Bruty.

DOS: Sometime afterwards, Rainbow Arts (who published a number of games for C64 and Amiga) Developed and released DOS ports of EWJ1 and 2. It uses the same High-Quality audio the the SEGA CD Special Edition, as well as completely re-drawn graphics that take advantage of 256 colour VGA. However, It doesn't include the Extra Special Edition content, and, like the SNES version, is missing Intestinal Distress. Apparently doesn't emulate 100% correctly in DOSBox

Win95: So, my understanding of this is that a development team called Kinesoft Development created a piece of technology called Exodus that allowed for the easy porting of console games to Windows 95. Activision picked this technology up, bought a bunch of licenses, and use it to port a number of games to Windows 95, the two most notable being Earthworm Jim Special Edition and Pitfall 2: The Mayan Adventures, both of which are considered the definitive way to play those games, if you can get them to work on modern Windows. Some of the concepts behind Exodus were later re-used by Microsoft and became DirectX. The Win95 release is mostly the same as the SEGA CD release, but with a number of graphics re-done to remove dithering, as well as replacing the password system with a built in level select menu.

Game Gear/Game Boy: Apparently, official ports by Eurocom were made for Game Gear and Game Boy, and both apparently not great thanks to hardware limitations.

Master System: A Brazil-only release by Tech-toy. Also not great

Game Boy Advance: Infamous for being Utter Garbage

XBox 360: Apparently an HD remake was made, and released on XBLA.

If you want to compare the different versions (not including the XBLA remake, which you can see here):

----

If you want to play the Win95 version, there is this guide on how to get it playable on Windows 10, though it doesn't work 100%, as the ending to every Andy Asteroids level is messed up, music doesn't loop, and I couldn't get Joy2Key to work with it. I recommend (what I did for raocow) is setup and install Windows 95 in PCem; there's a guide floating around the internet on how to do it, and I'd link it here, but it includes a download link to a Windows 95 OSR 2.6 ISO with serial code, and that may be considered piracy (I can link it in patapon spotzone though).

If you don't wnat to pirate, the DOS version is up on both GOG and Steam, but expect emulation to not be perfect.
Last edited by SAJewers 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Dude you forgot the iPhone version which I bought years ago and was unplayable because touch-screen d-pad

Anyway I never experienced this game as a kid so I'm interested to see it. I suspect I already know what my opinion is gonna be but it's only been one video, shit
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Mata Hari wrote: 6 years agotouch-screen d-pad
One of the most atrocious ideas anyone has ever had.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Mata Hari wrote: 6 years ago Dude you forgot the iPhone version which I bought years ago and was unplayable because touch-screen d-pad
to be fair, wikipedia doesn't list it. :P
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
SAJewers

Re: Earthworm Jim - The Book of Doom

Post by SAJewers »

Big Bruty is the Special Edition-only level.

Also, sometime during this lp (maybe if you play for the other endings), you should type these cheat codes:

Code: Select all

idkfa
iddqd
hatman
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

It's so weird that the first part of the level music, before the elevator music gag kicks in, is just straight-up Night on Bald Mountain.

Did they have to pay Disney to use it or what?
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 6 years ago It's so weird that the first part of the level music, before the elevator music gag kicks in, is just straight-up Night on Bald Mountain.

Did they have to pay Disney to use it or what?
Since it was written in 1867 I'm gonna say no
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Oh, right, I somehow hadn't considered that Disney's extensive usage of public domain material might extend to music. Thanks for clearing that up.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

make no mistake though they'd love to

theyre the reason why public domain laws are so ridiculous
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

I've heard so much about these games and yet I've seen little gameplay of it.

But I'm really digging it so far, there's some interesting thing here, like how many 2-D platformers have ledge grab,
especially considering when this game was made?
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Money

Post by Money »

It's really obvious that this game wasn't "designed" as much as it was a product of a bunch of people unfamiliar to game creation going "then what if this happened?" but (at least so far) it seems to be charming and inoffensive enough gameplay wise to smooth that over. We'll see if that lasts.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

MoneyMan wrote: 6 years ago It's really obvious that this game wasn't "designed" as much as it was a product of a bunch of people unfamiliar to game creation going "then what if this happened?" but (at least so far) it seems to be charming and inoffensive enough gameplay wise to smooth that over. We'll see if that lasts.
man this is even more super true of 2, where normal stages honestly feel like an exception more than anything. you'll see.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years agoAlso, sometime during this lp (maybe if you play for the other endings), you should type these cheat codes:

Code: Select all

idkfa
iddqd
hatman
"hatman" isn't a Doom cheat though.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years agoGame Gear/Game Boy: Apparently, official ports by Eurocom were made for Game Gear and Game Boy, and both apparently great thanks to hardware limitations.
Does this mean I have an actual LP project of my own to do next month?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

raekuul wrote: 6 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 6 years agoGame Gear/Game Boy: Apparently, official ports by Eurocom were made for Game Gear and Game Boy, and both apparently great thanks to hardware limitations.
Does this mean I have an actual LP project of my own to do next month?
oops i accidentally a word
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I wanted to like this game so much as a kid, but I just couldn't. It wasn't fun to play at all. At least now I'll get to see past the underwater level I guess.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I have mixed feelings on earthworm jim. On the one hand all the levels in both games look pretty neat and there's a decent variety of gameplay stuff to keep you on your toes. On the other hand sometimes platforms and hitboxes in general are unclear and the game isn't always the most fun. I would've liked 2 way more than 1 if it wasn't for one thing that we'll see when we cross that bridge
Blue

Post by Blue »

The fact that the camera lagged behind your movement instead of anticipating it killed this game for me tbh
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I think the recording window was off-center today by a bit.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Earthworm Jim - Assault and Battery

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Well, that sure was a climactic finish for the level.

Honestly, it looks to me like they didn't finish it for the original game and then they put the incomplete level in so they could release a version with an extra level for marketing purposes.
strongbadman

Re: Earthworm Jim - Assault and Battery

Post by strongbadman »

I'd like you to show off what happens when you lose Andy Asteroids
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Grounder wrote: 6 years ago I think the recording window was off-center today by a bit.
I'm not used to recording from a windows anymore, so used to just having my recorder hook on the game, haha. It doesn't help that when I set the game to 'fullscreen' it moves around

I think bandicam's recording window is a bit too thick, as it looked to overlap it properly this morning. I'll be careful about this.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage