(shouting)

Ori and the Blind Forest - Death and Rebirth

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest - Cutting and Crushing

Post by Wolfolotl »

seeing this game in action's been giving me major okami vibes in terms of theme (something something important trees light save the world et cetera) and tone, I like that a lot, but it also looks like it controls perhaps a little loosely
:nb_pride:
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Wolfolotl wrote: 6 years agoit also looks like it controls perhaps a little loosely
It's not really so much that the controls are loose so much as air physics are a tiny bit on the floaty side. (Though you also are fairly committed to a jump when you make one despite that.) Overall the controls are actually pretty good. Platformers tend not to play well using a joystick over a d-pad but this game is an exception there. It actually plays just as well on a joystick and one of the future abilities is kinda clunky on a d-pad.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Alice wrote: 6 years agoIt actually plays just as well on a joystick and one of the future abilities is kinda clunky on a d-pad.
Extremely true; also cannot wait to see that ability, it's an almost literal game-changer.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

no one has said it yet here it looks like, so:
you can't use air dash until you unlock the regular dash. the point of the ability is to let you use that dash in the air, which by default you cannot do.
i will not say where the dash powerup is hidden, though
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest - Found and Lost

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

get hype for ginso tree
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago raocow, you really need to pay more attention to your surroundings in this game. You walked right past that ability orb like 2-3 times shortly after getting double jump and even opened the map which clearly showed you standing right next to it multiple times only to notice it much later. You also keep walking past energy crystals and not even noticing them when you're not full on energy.
I mean, to be fair, failing to notice something right next to him is kinda raocow's thing... :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Alice

Post by Alice »

raocow, the reason not everything shows up on the map is because there's multiple abilities in the skill tree for showing things. The one you got is labelled as showing most items.

Also wow, looks like I might've been off my estimate on how long it'd take you to finish the Ginso tree. I was thinking it'd be 2-3 videos after I did but the tree is long enough that you may not finish it for tomorrow's video. I'm looking forward to seeing how long it takes you to figure out an important detail after the tree though. Took me way longer than it actually should have and the game doesn't actually tell you about it until after you've already got an idea, lol.
YelseyKing wrote: 6 years agoI mean, to be fair, failing to notice something right next to him is kinda raocow's thing... :P
True enough. Still really freaking irritating though, lol.
Money

Post by Money »

I've never played the game, but from everything I've heard the Ginso Tree's apparently widely considered the best part of it (not to say the rest isn't good), so I'm excited to see how it plays out.
Crow

Post by Crow »

when's someone gonna tell raocow that he's been fully equipped to take on black root burrows since he got wall jump in episode 2
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

you, right now
:P
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

I did it
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

today: raocow forgets what arrows are mid-way through the episode for some reason.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest - Bashing and Shooting

Post by YelseyKing »

Hah, I was waiting for you to get the Bash ability. I *knew* you'd love it, and the game does *so* many creative things with it. It's definitely an incredibly fun ability.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
warpio

Post by warpio »

I started playing this game myself cuz I wanted to be able to watch this and comment. I decided to go with hard mode, since I don't mind dying a lot. I'm just now at around the part where raocow is at.

Hard mode is... interesting. Even the early game enemies kill me constantly if I'm not super careful. Everything feels like it could kill you. You can't just tank through spikes like raocow did a few times. This mode really makes you care about that save point energy a lot more. I never have enough energy to unlock those energy doors the first time I get to them.

Also, I THINK some of the enemies attack faster in hard mode? Or maybe it's that they're better at aiming their attacks toward you? I'm not entirely sure on that. But like, projectiles and stuff felt way harder to dodge when I play it vs how I see raocow casually dodging everything like it's nothing... Another big difference I've noticed is that exp drops seem to give you significantly less than on normal mode... that and some stuff costs more. Like even the 2nd ability on each side of the ability tree requires 2 points. I haven't even gotten the map marker feature yet. Although I did go a bit more on the offensive side to be able to kill enemies more quickly.

It really feels more like Super Meat Boy on this mode. I already have about 100 deaths just a couple hours in.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

I'm honestly considering not playing tomorrow so that I'm more 'live' with what everyone is experiencing. Like I got the video for tomorrow evening recorded this morning... I think I want to eliminate the delay.
Mea

Post by Mea »

that sounds like a pretty cool thing to consider honestly
raocow

Post by raocow »

the reason why I got the delay was in case somethign happened, but honestly 'if something happened' I can just comunicate to y'all here so...
Alice

Post by Alice »

raocow, if you're using a controller with a joystick you should strongly consider making use of that for the bash ability. 8 directions for it isn't going to work for some launches which could get a bit frustrating. Kinda like that one near the end of the video. That's where I had to switch over to joystick myself. (And like I mentioned earlier in the thread, the game actually plays surprisingly well with a joystick anyways. I can't recall any 2d platformer that I've preferred joystick to d-pad on before.)

Also that one wonky portal deal where you kept getting stuck in the spikes just seems to be really wonky for some reason. I managed to die there like 3-4 times myself because I just couldn't keep out of the spikes.
WYE

Post by WYE »

It's arguably really doable even with a keyboard of all things. (Though, yeah, it took a long while to master and I'm a keyboard person anyway.)

(Do D-pads have 8 directions? Serious question.)
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

I didn't expect raocow to play

Specter Knight

so soon :o

But honestly I'm interested in what usage the Bash ability will have in the future.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Bashing is the best ability for sure, just makes the platforming cool all game long
Dash wasn't even in the original game but it turns out great for speedrunning so ehh
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest - Ascending and Descending

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Well that was absolutely everything I hoped it would be!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I'm glad you liked that section. It's generally agreed the Ginso Tree is the best segment of the game.

A smart fellow named Mark Brown made a video explaining exactly WHY this segment is as good as it is.

ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

now we know that raocow likes musical motifs
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

not sure that peaking 1/3 of the way through the game is a good thing, personally
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage