(shouting)

Ori and the Blind Forest - Death and Rebirth

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Ori and the Blind Forest - Death and Rebirth

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Steam wrote:“Ori and the Blind Forest” tells the tale of a young orphan destined for heroics, through a visually stunning action-platformer crafted by Moon Studios for PC.
  1. 般若
  2. 人魂
  3. きじむなあ
  4. 土蜘蛛
  5. 物の怪
  6. 殺生石
  7. 日和坊
  8. 油赤子
  9. 沙悟凈
  10. おばりよん
  11. 精螻蛄
  12. ぬっぺっぽう
  13. 夜雀
  14. 山颪
  15. 大太郎法師
  16. 提灯火
  17. 天逆毎
  18. 陰摩羅鬼
  19. わいら
  20. 風神
  21. 悪路神の火
  22. 奪衣婆
  23. じゃんじゃん火
  24. 古戦場火
  25. 鳳凰
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 6 years ago, edited 40 times in total.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest - Life and Death

Post by raocow »

and Bob claims the thread

Man this game is real nice. Like real nice.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I love this game to pieces and kinda want it to speak for itself (and through your experience of it, which always adds a lot for me), hence the lack of detail on the opening post.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

very understandable
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i cant believe you already died in the first episode jfc

and youre good at videogames?!?!?!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

I waited for so long.....

and it will be worth for it!
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Ah, I see you're playing the Definitive Edition. Good call. Adds an extra area and some quality of life improvements.

Anyhow, I played this game over the summer, and it's pretty great. Definitely one of the most beautiful 2D games I've ever played. I think you'll really find yourself enjoying this one, and I'm definitely going to enjoy this LP.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

Restating from YouTube...

The opening of this game is one of the few gaming moments where I actually teared up when I saw it for the first time; almost did it again when watching this. This sequence was done perfectly. The rest of the game is emotive as well, and I'm super looking forward to seeing you play it!

Good luck and enjoy it; you're in for quite a ride!
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Man, this intro gets me everytime, it's so well done. So glad it's finally time. ^_^
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Oh man. I know nothing about Ori other than that I've had it repeatedly mentioned praisefuly by trusted sources. That opening was masterful. I'm already hyped for this LP, since it looks like the game will be a good fit for raocow's LPing attitude AND atypical in interesting ways.

I'm probably going to avoid this thread instead of my usual lurking. This feels like an LP I want to experience as expectation-setting-context-free as possible.

Also, I can't quite put my finger on how, but this is the perfect followup to Boy and Blob, which was sweet and clever in ways but only mostly... implemented?
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

YelseyKing wrote: 6 years ago Ah, I see you're playing the Definitive Edition. Good call. Adds an extra area and some quality of life improvements.

Anyhow, I played this game over the summer, and it's pretty great. Definitely one of the most beautiful 2D games I've ever played. I think you'll really find yourself enjoying this one, and I'm definitely going to enjoy this LP.
i don't think you can buy the original version at all anymore, like the day they released the definitive edition they outright took the original off the store, so

but yeah the DE is objectively the superior experience in every possible way so

oh look it's a game i'd put among my top 10 games of all time??? this game is incredibly good. i binged all the way through it in a single day when i first played it because i was absolutely in love with it
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

i played through this recently and didn't really like it all that much , probably because i was playing on hard

oops
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Parama wrote: 6 years ago i don't think you can buy the original version at all anymore, like the day they released the definitive edition they outright took the original off the store, so

but yeah the DE is objectively the superior experience in every possible way so
Yeah, that makes sense. I think the Definitive Edition has everything the original did and then some, so I guess there isn't much reason to keep the original up for sale.

Moists:

YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

I imagine you've since figured this out, but creating a Soul Link is a special ability that requires energy cells to use, with energy cells essentially being your "Magic Meter" in this game. You can create a Soul Link as long as you have at least one energy cell, and enemies and some plants can drop refills when destroyed.

Moists:

ACesspoolofHatred
What vision is this? What happens to the world?!

Post by ACesspoolofHatred »

Parama wrote: 6 years ago
YelseyKing wrote: 6 years ago Ah, I see you're playing the Definitive Edition. Good call. Adds an extra area and some quality of life improvements.

i don't think you can buy the original version at all anymore, like the day they released the definitive edition they outright took the original off the store, so
Eh, half-right.

The definitive edition is the one that's on the storefronts, but they bundle in the original version with it.

Anyways! We learn about two of the three save systems in Ori - Soul Links and Spirit Wells.

Soul Links are pretty much savestates in this game - it costs an Energy Cell to set one down, and it lets you save your current position, as well as access your Skill Tree. Rekindle's a good skill to get early, and it's a godsend in an LP setting.

Spirit Wells, meanwhile, are permasaves. In Metroid terms, they're Save Stations and Missile Stations built into one, and they also let you access the Skill Tree.

In the Definitive Edition, Spirit Wells also become your fast travel system. The original game does NOT have this, to my knowledge.
I have no social media presence, my only purpose here is to dismay and terrify you all, and I hope to continue to do so - Me, on one of Duvi0's Drawful streams
Y'know, Cesspool, that is, like, honestly... That was what I expected from you, and y'know what? That's my favorite thing that anyone does, specifically. Cesspool I adore you. - Duvi0 that same stream
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest - Green and Blue

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Got my thread gimmick going! And the game just lays on the charm and the upgrades.
Money

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest - Green and Blue

Post by Money »

0/10 game doesnt take the value stored in one register, take a constant immediate value, binary OR them bit by bit and return the result into another register.
AlchemistHohenheim

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest - Light and Dark

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Kuro = Black
Ginso = ...Silver grass?

Despite years of anime/manga/Japanese video games, my Japanese vocabulary is still decidedly rather lacking.
YelseyKing

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest - Saving and Losing

Post by YelseyKing »

Pro-tip: Save often. It's super easy to replenish energy cells, and there's a good amount of stuff in this game that can insta-kill you. It's not cheating to do so; it's a built-in mechanic, and the game really expects you to be saving a lot. So spare yourself the frustration, and *save often*. :P

Moists:

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I wonder how much damage you can dish out with that new Blast Power. You should try it on something with a lot of health, like those flaming guys.
I wonder if the other monster that splits reacts differently to the Blast?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Took you long enough to start calling health cabbages.
kitikami

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest - Sharp and Blunt

Post by kitikami »

Really enjoying this LP. The setting and art is beautiful and the game looks pretty engaging.

I like how raocow keeps having to fight his Mario instincts and unlearn years of progress to go back to save-stating everywhere. The save-state ammo is a pretty cool concept, and having to balance its resources with other functions adds a neat dimension to the concept.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Figures raocow would manage to get through that thwomp trap without issue. I managed to get past the enemy in a different manner, by destroying its armor with a charge shot, then after killing it (which was way more difficult than it should've been, lol) immediately died to the thwomp and decided that detour probably wasn't worth it at that point in time. Glad to see I didn't really miss anything important.
kitikami wrote: 6 years agoI like how raocow keeps having to fight his Mario instincts and unlearn years of progress to go back to save-stating everywhere.
It's actually surprisingly difficult to remember at times. I recently decided to get it myself because it looks pretty interesting and there have been a few instances where I spaced dropping a save and had to repeat quite a bit after a dumb death. The thwomp death I mentioned above, for example, I still had a save back at the whatever tree's entrance so I had to repeat all of that.

I was a bit more diligent with saves after that but maybe too liberal. There's a bonus area near the bottom of this area which has one of those energy orb locked doors. I got there with no energy left and had to grind for way longer than I should have in order to get through the door to complete the room.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Heh... I, too, saw the air-dash upgrade and *really* wanted it ASAP... and I'm not sure I ever figured out what it even *does*. Oh well. Doesn't hurt to get it, and you'll need to do so to get the abilities beyond it, so hey.

Moists:

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Ori and the Blind Forest - Cutting and Crushing

Post by Alice »

raocow, you really need to pay more attention to your surroundings in this game. You walked right past that ability orb like 2-3 times shortly after getting double jump and even opened the map which clearly showed you standing right next to it multiple times only to notice it much later. You also keep walking past energy crystals and not even noticing them when you're not full on energy.