(shouting)

SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - Final Action

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Paragraph

Re: SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - Fast Porcupine Hills

Post by Paragraph »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago not if it just has one exit
Also I reckon the levels that hide switches are yellow, like the switch doesn't count as 'an exit' or somethign, which is why we have the game telling you where they are instead
Well, if the dots were red, the levels where special stuff is hidden wouldn't be much of a secret anymore. Ironically, the dots symbolizing secret exits actually make them not be a "secret" anymore!
General_Urist wrote: 6 years ago You know, I know it's early but from the discussion here I'm getting the impression that the guy who made TSRPR2 is a very good lever designer but a very bad script writer.
I think the writing is fine content-wise, like it's not stupid, badly spelled or full of terrible tropey stuff - so a cut above many similar Mario stories. However, FPI clearly thought "well I can put in as much text as I want now, neat", then just wrote whatever came to his mind, and never went back to edit it for brevity. Also had noone tell him "hey you know this could use some trimming and with that I mean delete 90% of it". I have now done scientific writing for a few years, and if you have a size limit (or even worse, if you DON'T), the absolute hardest thing even for me as an experienced writer (in a very dry style, even) is to cut things out. You always tend to think "no but the reader NEEDS this sentence to follow me argument" or "but if I don't clarify this, they'll think my science is pointless" or "I should really stress this point so they GET IT", but most of that is plain wrong. I think it's kinda tragic that this makes for long and kind of tedious passages in videos that could be much more streamlined, pacing-wise, otherwise, but I also want to cut FPI some slack because keeping yourself reined in, especially without a professional supervisor, is fucking tough.

EDIT: Hell, this post is some long-ass garbage most people will skip!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Paragraph wrote: 6 years agoSometimes it's hard to write short stuff
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

Naming gimmick addendum: The phrase in which the TSRP2R video title is quoted is from the original TSRP2 video that contains at least one of the levels played in the Reloaded video, and not the corresponding one in the sequence (e.g. the title today's video, video 3, is from tsrp2 video 5, which had both of the levels)

Interestingly, in the original game, GHZ is played before the raft level, which is reversed here.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I forgot that the redrawn Yoshi's "holding something in mouth" sprite for some reason is just the normal sprite but with his head slightly tilted upwards. It's so hard to tell when he has something in his mouth.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I don't have an issue with redrawn, but that's probably just because I have poor taste. :P

I'm not sure what I was doing in Koopa Cliff because I died a lot and that level is pretty easy.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

Paragraph has a very relevant username rn
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
warpio

Post by warpio »

In this video, rao said something like
You don't really see bonus coin areas anymore, not even in the real Mario games
I was about to say, like, the Galaxy games still had a ton of those bonus rooms that only serve to reward you with coins... but then I just realized starting from 3D Land and 3D World, the bonus coin rooms were replaced by the star coin/green star rooms, so yeah I guess that's true... nowadays the official Mario games are headed back towards the "collectathon" style of gameplay that's more reminiscent of Yoshi's Island and Mario 64, where instead of coins and lives being the main reward for exploring, you're rewarded with the obligatory collectible thingies that are needed to get 100%.

I'm not sure which I like more honestly. I kinda miss when lives were important.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Coins were pretty pointless in the Galaxy games. I suppose in 2 there were the lumas you had to feed coins to to unlock secondary paths and stuff, but I recall you'd normally just not care about coins and instead just get to a point where you'd see a coin luma and be like "oh, I guess I have to come back here later and actually try to get coins"

It's felt like, for a while now, there's been some stuff kept around in Mario games just for the sake of "that's the way it's always been done"
Lives are becoming increasingly frowned upon in modern game design, so by extension coins are made pretty useless unless a new use is found for them. But I don't see much hope of Nintendo ever giving up on their 1-up mushrooms and coins with how iconic they are.
Last edited by Ashan 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
tangy
🍊

Post by tangy »

I mean. 3D world has those slot machine levels right?

Wouldnt those technically be coin bonus rooms?
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Lives need to die, but I kinda appreciated how Galaxy played with many different ways to get coins (e.g. classically jumping on enemies instead of doing the arguably easier spin move), and often cleverly placed them as health refills in boss fights. For me, they ended up being like dangerous/slightly harder to get powerup boxes in your average romhack, and that was fine by me.
tangeruse wrote: 6 years ago Paragraph has a very relevant username rn
lol
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Phun Phact: Koopa Cliff includes not only all of the elements from the level of the same name in the original TSRP2, but also the first part of Mystery Lake, the second, drastically different (and far spoooooookier) half of which was also cannibalized for another level later on. Who would have expected that the lake's eeeeeeerie disappearance would turn out to be its true mystery all along?
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

People in the Mario world can't possibly actually feel threatened by Boos any more, they're like cockroaches or silverfish, they're just pests
tangy
🍊

Re: SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - Forest Woods of Lost Illusion

Post by tangy »

I don't get how fpi is only fascinated with sonic 1 and none of the others
Sonic 1 is objectively the worst genesis sonic game
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

tangeruse wrote: 6 years ago I don't get how fpi is only fascinated with sonic 1 and none of the others
Green Hill Zone is an easy reference, and my guess is pulling from multiple sonics felt weird, so Labyrinthe it is
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

When the game's just being a game, it looks pretty fun. I've enjoyed the past couple of vids a lot more than those early ones, that's for sure.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

tangeruse wrote: 6 years ago I don't get how fpi is only fascinated with sonic 1 and none of the others
Interestingly, Scrap Brain Zone level in TSRPR actually uses Scrap Brain Zone theme... from Game Gear version.

But yeah, FPI mostly ignored other Sonics.
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

At the time where the original TSRP2 was created, the database of ripped graphics wasn't nearly as big as it is now and even today most graphics from other Sonic games haven't been ripped, so there's that. And those levels already used these tilesets in the original game.
tangy
🍊

Post by tangy »

heres something interesting though
The outdoor part of Temple of Doom uses Marble Garden's background which i thought was weird
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I wonder if umm-laughts are present at R-Megadon. I'm sure durr Todd is fond of them.

raocow's comment about the brown, used blocks being the worst blocks amused me in particular as the level which Treetop Athletics is based upon (Athletic Playground, with a disproportionately difficult and thematically discordant Albatoss section excised and moved elsewhere in the hack and other, more thematically appropriate material added in to fill the gap) is primarily composed of none other than these sort of blocks, unceremoniously stacked on top of one another in one-tile rows and columns. I guess the foreground of the current level still has a touch of visual monotony in its relentless loginess, but it nevertheless still wins the award for biggest visual improvement.
Lazy_
druine
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Lazy_ »

shoutouts to the music in deku tree
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Bronto Burt is honestly an awful name for a giant fly. Like for real who came up with that.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I didn't think about it much before, but I really hope We Are Pirates! is still called We Are Pirates! in Reloaded. I suspect it won't be, though, and that makes me a little sad.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years ago I didn't think about it much before, but I really hope We Are Pirates! is still called We Are Pirates! in Reloaded. I suspect it won't be, though, and that makes me a little sad.
It is. (why would it not be?)
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago
AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years ago I didn't think about it much before, but I really hope We Are Pirates! is still called We Are Pirates! in Reloaded. I suspect it won't be, though, and that makes me a little sad.
Well, Reloaded kinda feels like it's trying to be a little bit more "serious" than the original TSRP2, and other levels' names have already been changed, so the idea of the cute little Galoomba pirate level getting a different, less cute name didn't seem outside the realm of possibility.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years ago
GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago
Well, Reloaded kinda feels like it's trying to be a little bit more "serious" than the original TSRP2, and other levels' names have already been changed, so the idea of the cute little Galoomba pirate level getting a different, less cute name didn't seem outside the realm of possibility.
Don't worry, I'm sure he wrote plenty of extra backstory for the pirates.