(shouting)

SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - Final Action

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - Forest Woods of Lost Illusion

Post by Grounder »

Ditocoaf wrote: 6 years ago
AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years ago
GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago

It is. (why would it not be?)
Well, Reloaded kinda feels like it's trying to be a little bit more "serious" than the original TSRP2, and other levels' names have already been changed, so the idea of the cute little Galoomba pirate level getting a different, less cute name didn't seem outside the realm of possibility.
Don't worry, I'm sure he wrote plenty of extra backstory for the pirates.

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Re: SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - Forest Woods of Lost Illusion

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Mata Hari wrote: 6 years ago Bronto Burt is honestly an awful name for a giant fly. Like for real who came up with that.
For reference, we're talking about a series with enemies called Wizzer and Peezer.

That said, raocow seems more far more interested in Bronto Brot in this video. Probably recorded the video before lunch this time.
Grounder

Re: SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - In a Pink Catmarine

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Could've used another checkpoint after the boss today. Oh well.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

So towards the end of the video, I realized that Captain Neko is a pun on Captain Nemo.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Zinfandel

Post by Zinfandel »

I really dig today's boss theme.
Le Neveu de Rameau

I think this is a case where the plot actual works to the hack's advantage--the obvious and expected choice (especially with the inclusion of other custom bosses) for dealing with Random Lemmy at the end of the We Are Pirates level would have been simply to remove him and replace him with a different boss. Instead, FPI decided not only to keep him, but actually make him a central character in the proceedings. An unorthodox and amusing choice, to be certain, but I think it works, and actually draws a bit stronger a connection between this hack and TSRPR1. Similarly, the Nautilus goes from an unimportant extra stage near the end of on a lengthy side path leading to nothing to a crucial stage on the main path, and the plot elements help take it from a forgettable curiosity to something that feels important and gives a sense of direction to Mario's otherwise semi-aimless wanderings. The addition of the pirate subplot also brings with it not only the addition of a boss in this level, but also the mines in the final swimming section, which add a bit of excitement and flavor to what was previously kind of a dull-ish retread of a sublevel (of course, it also significantly increases the chances of dying here, and in turn having to repeat the boss, so...). That, I think, is when the plot works best in games like this--when it seems to be giving general (but not overstated) explanation to why the stages happen to be moving in the direction they are, giving things a sort of connection, coherency and logical flow. This is an idea the TSRPR series seems to value in other aspects as well, so it's not surprising to also see it applied in the story.

(Also, the little pool with the Torpedo Ted generator and the powerup in the bottom left corner after the midpoint? Bring your shell down there, and that's your life farm.)
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

The "wearing a barrel" thing that raocow mentioned in today's video is actually a punishment for public drunkenness in medieval Germany and England, and the poor people wearing barrels thing came along because of social behaviors between rich and poor i.e. rich people get drunk in the privacy of their own homes and therefore not as punished as the poor.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

jayScribble wrote: 6 years ago The "wearing a barrel" thing that raocow mentioned in today's video is actually a punishment for public drunkenness in medieval Germany and England, and the poor people wearing barrels thing came along because of social behaviors between rich and poor i.e. rich people get drunk in the privacy of their own homes and therefore not as punished as the poor.
Wikipedia has an article that says otherwise https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankruptcy_barrel
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 -Hell's Kitchen Island

Post by Super Maks 64 »

PIRATE POST
(by the way, the first post now has a link to the hack's soundtrack, if you want to listen to its music(obvious spoiler warning is obvious))
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 6 years ago PIRATE POST
(by the way, the first post now has a link to the hack's soundtrack, if you want to listen to its music(obvious spoiler warning is obvious))
this game has music??!?!?!?!

spoilers!!!!1221231!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I missed the midpoint in the pirate level for a while, and I had a lot more issues with burning the blocks in front of the urchin because I'm not used to those blocks. Repeating that first section every time was a bit of a pain, but it isn't the worst thing ever. I was very glad when I eventually did find the midpoint... then I beat the level on that attempt anyways...
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

That urchin sequence is absolutely a reference to that one level in Wario Land where you're in a narrow corridor and a stone thing chases you, then you have to ride it later, isn't it?
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I think you notice more small details when you're playing than I do when I'm not playing.

Do people really have a thing where they prefer to carry a shell around underwater at all times? I don't usually do that if there's spikes around.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

It's a habit you probably pick up if you played vanilla SMW to the death, as it's the perfect tactic for its comparative snoozefest of water stages and they often provide you with faster swimming implements with levels designed around them, iirc.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

It's a struggle going from a Mega Man series to a Mario one here, so for you to keep doing this on a daily basis with the physics engines being so different is impressive in a low-key way.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Paragraph wrote: It's a habit you probably pick up if you played vanilla SMW to the death, as it's the perfect tactic for its comparative snoozefest of water stages and they often provide you with faster swimming implements with levels designed around them, iirc.
I tend to do it in vanilla SMW because I know what's coming, but I don't do it in ROMhacks for the most part. Though perhaps I shouldn't say anything because I actually did try shell swimming in that level until I got hit in a dumb way. :P
Bean wrote: It's a struggle going from a Mega Man series to a Mario one here, so for you to keep doing this on a daily basis with the physics engines being so different is impressive in a low-key way.
I actually find it a lot harder to go from one engine to a "similar but not quite the same" engine. Going from SMBX to SMW or SSBM to Project M just ruins me, but I can play Mega Man back to back with Cave Story and then SMW with no issues at all.

You can also break the puzzle in the pyramid with a well placed sprint jump, though it's of dubious worth to do that.
Le Neveu de Rameau

Worlds 2 and 3 (now 2/3 and 4, respectively) were both kind of gigantic in the original TSRP2, so FPI took two different strategies to break them up. In the case of World 2, as we saw, it was divided into two separate worlds, one (mostly) taking the less foresty levels, the other taking the more wooded ones. As for the current World 4 (previously World 3), which is now even larger due to taking on the desert levels from the original World 4 (a weird miscellaneous world whose path leaves the desert, visits some other landmasses, then loops back to the desert again), the approach was instead to create two parallel paths (desert/devil and pirate), each with its own boss, which meet up again for a common level or two and the world-end boss. Minor bosses shortly before world-end bosses is a theme we'll see repeated several more times in the hack.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

There are 2 types of people in this world
Le Neveu de Rameau wrote: 6 years ago(desert/devil and pirate)
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I would really hate to know what gave you the impression that humans are easy to set on fire
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Mata Hari wrote: 6 years agoI would really hate to know what gave you the impression that humans are easy to set on fire
Personal experience obviously.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

It doesn't show up in the video, but those cactus hitboxes are pretty bad.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Cacti can hold a lot of water since they need to store it to last long periods without rain, but how much is actually in there can vary a lot depending on how recently they took in water.

This is what a sagauaro cactus looks like on the inside, for anyone interested (spoilered for size):

Giik

Post by Giik »

raocow has been desensitized by bullshit romhacks like YUMP so much that he thought the bunch of coins pointing him down a hole was a trick. Pffehehehe.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Giik wrote: 6 years ago raocow has been desensitized by bullshit romhacks like YUMP so much that he thought the bunch of coins pointing him down a hole was a trick. Pffehehehe.
I don't know why he was so confused by that. I don't think you could physically get those coins without jumping in the hole.