(shouting)

SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - Final Action

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - Second Reality Base Project 2

Post by raocow »

yeah, it's still holding on very well
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
warpio

Post by warpio »

I've been using the Wii U Pro controller with the Mayflash adapter for like... over 4 years now I think? It still holds up incredibly well. The d-pad is absolutely perfect, and I've never noticed any faults with it even after all this time. The battery life is insanely good too, and I don't feel like it's degraded at all.

If you ever start having problems with your Xbone controller, I'd highly recommend switching to the Wii U Pro if you're sick of having controllers mess you up all the time.
warpio

Post by warpio »

Also, another thing I REALLY appreciate about the Wii U Pro + Mayflash adapter for PC gaming, is that every game treats it just like you're using an XBox controller, except the A B X Y buttons always get mapped to the proper button placements on the controller, it's never been an issue where the game says "press X" and I have to wonder if they're talking about the top button (what it is on my controller) or the left button (what it is on an XBox controller).
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

raocow, you are 100% correct to think interacting with moving gears should be dangerous, and A the Safety Bee would be proud of you.
Stink Terios

Re: SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - Daylight Saving Time Valley

Post by Stink Terios »

So raocow surrendered himself to the Correct control method I see.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Playing SMW with a joystick sounds like a fate worse than death.

Usually, I miss stuff in Marty's messages while raocow makes fun of them for being "subtle", but it was the other way around today, apparently.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, there's no way I'm playing a platformer with a 360 D-Pad. I used the joystick on it for years until the whole controller gave out on me earlier this year. Now it's a PS4 one.
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by blue_kirby »

Hmm, looks like

raocow's facing the bad ending first ...

Hmm, I'm still excited to see the playthrough nonetheless.
"That's embarrassing"
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I have questions about the attic of Mario's presumed home being full of death traps.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

mario's home has a real mouse problem you see
Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

I was hoping raocow would take this path first.

On the other hand, I would have been amused if he had gone for the portal in Marty's Base first.

Sure, you can warp back to Marty's base after clearing that sequence, but rao would probably have been confused about ending up midway through the final world for no reason after doing it

went
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by went »

Oh, but Zycloboo was always this huge! (or non-huge). It's your memory that has changed, dear cowman.

"Touhou is wrong" - Horikawa Otane
raocow

Post by raocow »

considering the whole game keeps looking like what I remember the original being like, I'm not surprsied one bit
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

It's because Desert Bus for Hope is coming up, you're just getting ready. :P
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Wait, why is Zycloboo in his normal form on the map?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Count Mohawk

Post by Count Mohawk »

Grounder wrote: 6 years ago Wait, why is Zycloboo in his normal form on the map?
It's a to-scale map. Zycloboo is now sufficiently large to look "normal-sized" from the other end of the horizon.
Lockirby2

Re: SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - The Mountain of Non-Diurnal Content

Post by Lockirby2 »

Well, there was some surprisingly somber discussion in this video...

During the parts of Balloon Cave after the second and third midpoints, I felt like I misread and died on basically every obstacle. I'm not sure why because raocow had no issues here (though I'm still not sure how he figured out that the turn blocks were bouncy on a glance, except perhaps that they looked like the same formations that note blocks were used in earlier).
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - The Mountain of Non-Diurnal Content

Post by Alice »

Lockirby2 wrote: 6 years ago(though I'm still not sure how he figured out that the turn blocks were bouncy on a glance, except perhaps that they looked like the same formations that note blocks were used in earlier).
I think in the original that they had the same layout and looked like normal note blocks so it could be a matter of memory.
raocow

Post by raocow »

it's more of a matter that... it just wouldn't make sense, otherwise, no? It could be residual memory too mind
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Confirmation that Darkness does use the same tileset in the original TSRP2:

Also man, 2007 raocow sounds so weird now that I'm used to modern raocow's voice/recording set-up.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

While the levels in the original TSRP2 weren't all made completely in order (as anyone who's played the demo from that awful Archie2K level pack will realize), there is a rough correlation between game progression and temporal progression (and in turn improving technology) which means that the later a level appears in the hack, the more elaborate the graphics tend to become. This, in turn, means that it the Reloaded version, the later in the game you get, the more likely the level is to retain more of the original graphics. This is, incidentally, perhaps the largest contributor to the much-maligned graphical confusion found in the later game, as the standards of yesteryear were far less rigorous in this regard.

That said, the hack *does* make one rather consistent change even to the better-looking graphics of the original version--all solid foreground objects are given a black outline, and all walk-through decorative objects are not. This may sound like a solid plan in theory, but due to the fact that the later game also features fairly consistently darker background palettes (and objects which are solid-on-top but walkthrough elsewhere are not 100% consistently treated), this distinction often becomes less recognizable in practice. That all said, it's interesting to observe what sorts of difficulties updating a work from the SMW-hacking Middle Ages provides vis-à-vis antiquity. On the one hand, it seems acceptable to leave more as is, but on the other hand, the closer you get to modernity, the more critical your audience is inclined to be when it still falls short of contemporary standards. A curious conundrum.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

As I watched this video, I was suddenly struck by a question.

Why are they called Dragon Coins when they clearly have a horse's face on them?
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 6 years ago As I watched this video, I was suddenly struck by a question.

Why are they called Dragon Coins when they clearly have a horse's face on them?
Super Dragon Yoshi
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Here's an HQ version of Starlight Road's theme, in case anyone is interested.

I don't remember being a big fan of this level when I played it before. For something that's (basically) penultimate, some parts feel like they really drag along and should be cut out (i.e. the entire one-block jumping room).