(shouting)

SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - Final Action

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Re: SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - Daylight Saving Time Valley

Post by tangy »

I will always associate smw redrawn with this series too tbh
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

TSRP1R was the first hack that I ever played. Back then, it took me hours to get to the end of Bowser's Starship. I'm interested in seeing how the second game holds up. Malicious Mansion was a pretty nice level, honestly.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Tyty wrote: 6 years ago Redrawn was the best we had for a while,
Completely disagree. Vanilla SMW looks much better than Redrawn
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Ometeotl wrote: 6 years ago
I've never been able to figure out if the redrawn sprites are supposed to be better, or just different.
If their intent is to be better than vanilla graphics, it would imply people who use them think Nintendo isn't as competent at making sprites as whoever did redrawn, but I just think SMW is stylized to take advantage of what they have to work with. The redrawn sprites try so hard at looking flashy and modern that it just looks weird. It's like the SMW equivalent of the N64 era where games looked worse than previous generation because they were trying to push further into looking "realistic" but they just weren't there yet. Sure, Mario's overworld sprite in SMW doesn't have a LOT of details, but the details it does have can be clearly made out. The redrawn sprite you can't even tell what's his mustache, and his face kinda looks like a giant eye because they tried to cram every detail of Mario into a tiny area, so it just looks worse.

It's definitely a neat proof of concept and you can tell a lot of work went into it. And this is also a hot take like a decade later where people view SMW hacks very differently, but barring that context my feeling is that redrawn is a case of failing to understand the advantage of simplicity.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

That's all true but there's also the way they desaturated so much, so the bright skin koopas become this dull brownish color.
Money

Post by Money »

I'm not gonna say the dialogue isnt "well written" in terms of how it conveys personality well, but yeah i really gotta echo the sentiment here that this game just has too much, and it ends up saying so little with it.

Re: SMW Redrawn: Yeah i agree it doesn't look great on average (some things look perfectly fine tho, the tilesets imo look good) but the spriteset really is mentally linked with TSRPR, so it'd be weird not to have them in TSRPR2. Plus, honestly, SMW on the whole is a p dang ugly game. Sprite clashing out the wazoo, hardly utilizing the SNES's capabilities, and a lot of the sprites just straight up dont look good (buzzy beetle's """walk animation""", bob-omb literally only using two colors, the koopalings looking jank af, bowser looks like he's having a stroke, i could go on)
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

Funny you mention the origin o' Yoshi originally being a horse, as just recently in an interview Tezuka mentioned that the inspiration for Yoshi was Miyamoto's love for horses:
According to Tezuka, Shigeru Miyamoto said he wanted Mario to ride a horse. “I think he likes horses,” Tezuka added. “When we were making [Super Mario Bros. 3], he drew a picture of Mario riding a horse and had put it up on wall next to where he sits. When I saw that, I thought, ‘I guess he wants Mario to ride something.’ So, when we were making Super Mario World, we had this ‘dinosaur land’ concept, and I had Hino draw reptile type art.”
Also, if you want to be horrified, here's some earlier versions o' Yoshi's sprite art.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

naming gimmick: similar to mgu2, what raocow says around the four-minute mark of gameplay footage of the corresponding tsrp2 video.
Now's a good time as any to start becoming acquainted by this landmark series.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: Funny you mention the origin o' Yoshi originally being a horse, as just recently in an interview Tezuka mentioned that the inspiration for Yoshi was Miyamoto's love for horses:
According to Tezuka, Shigeru Miyamoto said he wanted Mario to ride a horse. “I think he likes horses,” Tezuka added. “When we were making [Super Mario Bros. 3], he drew a picture of Mario riding a horse and had put it up on wall next to where he sits. When I saw that, I thought, ‘I guess he wants Mario to ride something.’ So, when we were making Super Mario World, we had this ‘dinosaur land’ concept, and I had Hino draw reptile type art.”
Also, if you want to be horrified, here's some earlier versions o' Yoshi's sprite art.
Oh man, on the topic of early Yoshi stuff, I'm sure a lot of people saw all the articles popping up recently where people suddenly realized that Mario is punching Yoshi's head to make him stick out his tongue. Not surprising to most of us who are bigger enthusiasts of the game, but apparently Nintendo is now claiming it was originally a punch, but was changed to a "point gesture," and there even was originally a 'bop' sound effect when Mario bashed Yoshi on the head.
This is straying from the thread topic but I thought that was interesting.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

8bitgamer123 wrote: 6 years ago naming gimmick: similar to mgu2, what raocow says around the four-minute mark of gameplay footage of the corresponding tsrp2 video.
Now's a good time as any to start becoming acquainted by this landmark series.
I'm both surprised and not surprised by how quick this was found
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Yeah, a "technomage" is basically a mediocre engineer who uses bangs and flashes to hide the fact that they're not actually all that great at their craft. Which is essentially what Thirlox comes off as, the smarmy insufferable git that he is. Honestly, I was never quite sure whether the hack intends you to view him as a complete joke or not--on the one hand, this is his intro, and Marty treats him with nothing but disdain throughout the game. Furthermore, most of his later traps are fairly ineffective, and he generally comes off as little more than an easily and quickly dispatched minor nuisance in the levels where he appears in person (

one room near the end where he appears under water being the only place where he serves as even half a threat

). And yet everyone in the story who isn't Marty seems to take him seriously, including Zycloboo, whom you wouldn't expect to put up with his self-congratulatory semi-incompetence as long or as silently as he does. It's a curious bit of ambiguity in a script that otherwise tends to err on the side of being overwritten.
Tyty

Post by Tyty »

Ometeotl wrote: 6 years ago Completely disagree. Vanilla SMW looks much better than Redrawn
I say that because it was consistent (unlike SMW), and it's "all we had" because original gfx were kinda a mess at the time (Many slots, lots of map16, all different styles). Actually messing with ripped graphics and mixing sets was way harder because Map16 was horrendous to work with, palettes weren't optimized, and we had less gfx slots. Even when people did change palettes they usually ended up desaturated as hell... Or were DKC graphics stuffed into SMW (which looks horrible).

Eventually people found ways to make Vanilla SMW look better (And easier, due to the better map16 editor), more tilesets came out that didn't clash horribly with everything else, and people started using colors again. Things took a while to change, but I agree that it's certainly better now, even if things can end up a mishmsash of graphics that don't match entirely sometimes.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote: 6 years agoI wouldn't have done it that way had I known it was going to be that long!
It was unexpectedly long-winded, lol. Dialogue in this hack seems to be ~2-3x longer than it really should be.
CanUBe
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by CanUBe »

Ometeotl wrote: 6 years ago
IMO neither set of graphics is particularly beautiful. SMW's graphics are too simple, and it's a bit disappointing that almost every overworld level just uses a different palette on the same grassy tileset. Really it's one of the (surprisingly few) ways you can tell the game was rushed to release at the same time as the SNES. Meanwhile the redrawn graphics are overdetailed messes that go too far in "correcting" vanilla SMW. I think the best classic Mario sprites are easily the SMAS SMB3 ones.
so i have the means to do a secret message thing here but i don't know what to write. how about... uh. im stuck
Money

Post by Money »

One thing I appreciate this hack having: bonus rooms that only serve to give you coins. That's a thing from the legit Mario games you really dont see very often in fan projects (though theyve kinda fallen by the wayside in legit Mario games recently as well)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: SMB4 SMW TSRP2R Zycloboo's Challenge v2.2 - Fast Porcupine Hills

Post by raocow »

not if it just has one exit
Also I reckon the levels that hide switches are yellow, like the switch doesn't count as 'an exit' or somethign, which is why we have the game telling you where they are instead
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

you: navi is the most annoying video game helper, she never shuts up!

me, an intellectual:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

You know, I know it's early but from the discussion here I'm getting the impression that the guy who made TSRPR2 is a very good lever designer but a very bad script writer.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

While I'm not in love with all the long text, I don't think the added text in Marty's base is an issue. I felt like the extra hints were helpful, and there's no need to keep it all in your head at once anyways because they're all in completely different worlds.
warpio

Post by warpio »

I'm kinda liking these colorful level tiles and detailed backgrounds... but other than that, this remake seems incredibly pointless... Are the people who suggested this game just unironic fans of Mario fanfiction or what?
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

General_Urist wrote: 6 years ago You know, I know it's early but from the discussion here I'm getting the impression that the guy who made TSRPR2 is a very good lever designer but a very bad script writer.
I don't recall the writing improving much as the game goes on. It was great in TSRPR because the script was isolated towards the very end of the game and it wasn't overkill, but it's really excessive in 2R.

But yeah, FPI is a great level designer, so it balances out I guess.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

The mountains of text in the first two videos were absolutely intrusive, but I feel like the hints about the Switch Palace locations from Marty in this one were fine. Especially since it's all optional, as opposed to being a mandatory cutscene.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

The redrawn sprites have always been just sort of weird to me. SMW graphics themselves had weird oddities but the redrawn stuff is just... kinda ugly in a whole different way?

Regarding the text, it's more or less as raocow says. Having been taking some writing courses myself, it's been stressed repeatedly to me that most of the time less is more, and this goes double for dialogue. Drowning your audience in a million words, especially in a video game, is just tedious and sometimes the important points can be missed within massive blocks of whatever.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Blue

Post by Blue »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
raocow wrote: 6 years agoI wouldn't have done it that way had I known it was going to be that long!
It was unexpectedly long-winded, lol. Dialogue in this hack seems to be ~2-3x longer than it really should be.
That mole used four full text boxes to say "There's a switch we need to hit to deactivate these blocks," which isn't even really something you need a textbox for. Vanilla SMW certainly didn't need to spell it out.