(shouting)

Storks and Apes and Crocodiles

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Storks and Apes and Crocodiles

Post by ft029 »

Morsel/morceau made a kaizo: light hack, and I wanted to let's play it.

Note: Any suggestions about how to improve video quality are appreciated. For some reason the video's fine on my computer but has weird lines on Youtube.

Level 1
Last edited by ft029 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mosts Awards:
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Storks and Apes and Crocodiles

Post by raocow »

man there's no way I'm playing this myself so I'll watch you play it instead
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

This time it brings bombs and kamikaze · spiny. You may learn it.

Level 2

Heads up: Level 3's first half took me a long time to beat (1 hour 20 minutes), so the editing will be much more difficult. Therefore, a video might not come out tomorrow.
Mosts Awards:
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Just the first half of level 3 caused 310 deaths. That was when I realized let's playing this might not have been the best idea. Original recording time = 1h 20m.

Level 3
Mosts Awards:
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

for what it's worth I think this is really neat, and thank you for playing this
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Well, I shall continue because the difficulty seems to have lowered again...

Level 3, second half
Mosts Awards:
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I hate fish now.

Level 4
Mosts Awards:
raocow

Post by raocow »

good
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Level 5 means 5 podoboo jumps in a row. Maybe 6. Actually 7?

Level 5
Mosts Awards:
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Since I am a keyboard user, I have to let go of most buttons in order to use the L or R buttons.
This is not true, of course, since you can map the buttons to something sensible, such as left shift and left control, and use your pinky, unless you don't possess a pinky on your left hand, in which case I apologise for bringing it up.

I notice now that there's a break in this level I can't believe I overlooked (

you can just stand on the last number platform and go under everything

).
dont wanna jihad no more
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

My pinky can only comfortably reach the windows key, so I guess it's time to get uncomfortable.

This level was pretty fun for the most part, although some obstacles felt too difficult or unfair (low bounce on the flying koopa, not hitting the on/off switches twice, and one particular spike in the flying section).

Level 6
Mosts Awards:
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Original recording time: 51 minutes. Since this was a puzzle level, I only cut it down to 30 minutes. Use 2x speed if you want. This was a really clever puzzle.

Level 7, first half
Mosts Awards:
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

You slightly broke this puzzle (I thought of making the glitch you used part of the solution but decided not to as it might be too devious). See lazy's video or linkdead's to see what I mean.

This puzzle took about two weeks to make (which is a ridiculously long time for me) because I kept entirely redoing it as there were silly breaks or as I thought what I had was rubbish. In previous cases I have found it difficult to judge properly the puzzles I have attempted to make. With normal levels, the test is: When I play it, am I constantly engaged over multiple playthroughs? -- a test that doesn't apply to puzzle levels. Despite this, I felt I had to include a puzzle as my source (by inspiration) hacks had such levels, and I am genuinely gratified by the good reception the level has had from three separate players (but poor old Katerpie was stuck on it for two days apparently).
dont wanna jihad no more
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

morsel/morceau wrote: 6 years ago You slightly broke this puzzle (I thought of making the glitch you used part of the solution but decided not to as it might be too devious). See lazy's video or linkdead's to see what I mean.

This puzzle took about two weeks to make (which is a ridiculously long time for me) because I kept entirely redoing it as there were silly breaks or as I thought what I had was rubbish. In previous cases I have found it difficult to judge properly the puzzles I have attempted to make. With normal levels, the test is: When I play it, am I constantly engaged over multiple playthroughs? -- a test that doesn't apply to puzzle levels. Despite this, I felt I had to include a puzzle as my source (by inspiration) hacks had such levels, and I am genuinely gratified by the good reception the level has had from three separate players (but poor old Katerpie was stuck on it for two days apparently).
I liked the puzzle too, in case you want more feedback.

And speaking of feedback, did you really see no issues with

having an incredibly short music loop as your song for the first half of stage 17?

Like, really?
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

All I can say is that I liked the music and it didn't occur to me as an issue. After seeing some dismay at that music and some others (and I could listen to 'battle against a strange machine' myself for hours), I have changed these musics in an update of the hack that I am sitting on (and I'm not sure I'll ever post it because all of the things I've fixed so far have been rather trivial).
dont wanna jihad no more
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

morsel/morceau wrote: 6 years ago All I can say is that I liked the music and it didn't occur to me as an issue. After seeing some dismay at that music and some others (and I could listen to 'battle against a strange machine' myself for hours), I have changed these musics in an update of the hack that I am sitting on (and I'm not sure I'll ever post it because all of the things I've fixed so far have been rather trivial).
I mean, I like the song as well, but the loop is simply too short for it to work as a stage song imo, and the fact you're going to be spending hours listening to it worsens the problem significantly. As for the earthbound song, personally I like it too, but I don't really think it fits with the stage itself very well, although I suppose that might be the point.