(shouting)

COMING UP NEXT now w/ BUCKET.TXT

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
Pronouns: she/her
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Re: COMING UP NEXT

Post by Valentine »

honestly, most of the issue is that people in the comments tend to want to "validate" raocow's experience with a level, and also end up seeing the level through a "this level is bad" lens because of it, and like, i wouldn't know how to solve that.

but at the same time, i don't think there'll be a yump 38 so honestly it'll probably be fine, full disclosure I've played the game with rewinds, but generally there isn't a single level which feels like it's genuinely trying to be awful (well ok maybe one level, but it's definitely not as infuriating).

however, MOST of the levels are kinda ridiculous and difficult as hell, so my only advice if the lp happens is to treat one-more-leveling like a vacation into hell.
:trans_pride:
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

eugh I have a response I want to give but I can't find a way to formulate it so I guess I won't.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
WinterSweater
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by WinterSweater »

raocow wrote: 3 years ago so uh, reading all this after a bad night's sleep

is this all about how I *might* react to the game?
like what if I actually do have a good time. or an ok time.
The post by Rixithechao articulated the issue well earlier in the thread
Last edited by WinterSweater 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Zinfandel wrote: 3 years ago I would like to reiterate that everything in this discussion stemmed from comments I made, and I should probably be shot for it. I'm sorry.
You know if you want to elaborate on things feel free to do so, I'm confused because it sounds like it actually stemmed from Validon's reactions to the hack according to Validon's posts?
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Err, I should clarify again I guess, I don't think it was all because of things I said, just that it might have contributed. I hadn't gotten a chance to talk with rixi to ask if it was anything I had said (and at this point I can't as I've also left the spotzone for the time being because I don't want to make things even worse there, as that is where I was posting my complaints). There are parts of it I don't know all of regarding what led to this so I just assumed I had a large factor in it, which even if I didn't I'm still sorry for any contribution to the problem I had.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago I think the issue is more macro than just debating what happens if you do or do not enjoy YUMP 2. It seems to be more an issue of, whenever you are actively struggling with a game and show clear distaste/negativity for what you are doing, a portion of your viewership blames the creator(s) for you not having a good time and goes forth to harass them.
That and people continuing to hold a grudge (or whatever you want to call it) towards those creators in subsequent works (See: Rixi's example of Lazy's VLDCX entry and various immediate unneeded references/callbacks to YUMP 38/GAY SHT)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

WinterSweater wrote: 3 years ago The post by Rixithechao articulated the issue well earlier in the thread
Yeah, Rixithechao's original post is good and does explain the issue well. ano0maly also explains the situation well. What confused me so much is that, well, to be blunt, Validon derailed the topic. They went off on a tangent about being upset because the hack was too hard for them. Two completely different conversations that I confused as one.

Rixi's post about raocow's toxic fandom is very interesting. I've been watching raocow for a long time now, but I don't really involve myself in the community. I watch some fun videos, make the rare comment, but mostly just go about my life. I haven't noticed any of this toxicity towards creators other than a few YUMP 38 jokes here and there. I didn't think people were actually upset with Lazy over that level. I always interpreted those comments as a good-natured excitement over having no idea what to expect from Lazy's levels. I guess I was wrong. Do people really take raocow that seriously and harass creators over levels?
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

I've seen plenty of people get really mad over "bad levels" or "bad games", but usually it just ends up being an argument about whether it's actually bad or not, less often is it that creators get attacked.

I made betterified 2 which is a game that several people really didn't like, but nobody actually went out of their way to say that I should feel bad or whatever about it. It's a different situation because raocow wasn't mad during that let's play like at all.

YUMP 38 is really the only thing that got that sort of treatment from what I can see, and as I've already stated, I don't think there's anything akin to that in yump2
:trans_pride:
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

That post I made last night is stupid, I apologize
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Question for the group.
Rixithechao wrote: 3 years ago [the] jump team ...

used pseudonyms but allow players to unlock the real names at the end

Should raocow not

show the YUMP 2 level creators' real names?

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

The Doctor wrote: 3 years ago
Yeah, Rixithechao's original post is good and does explain the issue well. ano0maly also explains the situation well. What confused me so much is that, well, to be blunt, Validon derailed the topic. They went off on a tangent about being upset because the hack was too hard for them. Two completely different conversations that I confused as one.
I can't find it now, but I could've sworn that Rixi said somewhere that Validon getting upset at the hack in the patapon spotzone was one of the things that lead to their original post
WinterSweater

Post by WinterSweater »

Voltgloss wrote: 3 years ago Question for the group.
Rixithechao wrote: 3 years ago [the] jump team ...

used pseudonyms but allow players to unlock the real names at the end

Should raocow not

show the YUMP 2 level creators' real names?

I think it would be good to

credit the people who made the levels properly, but I don't mind it either way

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I thought that meant

they were seen with made-up aliases until you unlock their actual usernames

Or is it actually

usernames turning into real names

?
Sinc-X
uncreative title

Post by Sinc-X »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago I thought that meant

they were seen with made-up aliases until you unlock their actual usernames

That's correct.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

If i'm getting this right, the crux for this whole convo is the harassment of creators for levels that raocow/individual players might've had a negative reaction to. And i'm pretty sure that we can all agree that that's a shitty thing to do.
Now, I don't think raocow outwardly saying "Don't do this" would help much at all, since anyone that's been watching the guy knows that he wouldn't want people to harass the level creators- People will do as they want, and our best bet to solve that issue is moderation, but I don't know if this is something that would really merit much discussion. I'm sure most would agree to this.

To be fair, plenty of what's been talked here seems to have much of it's weight in other parts that aren't necessarilly the talkhaus (I didn't follow the VLDCX thread, mind you), because, while i've seen some people talk shit of creators for their levels on the very very rare occassion, it's usually just people making stereotypes and not like, actual ill will toward creators. Like, these might be my standards from other places of the internet, but I've never seen anyone over here tell a creator to harm themselves for making a "bad level"- even if there's been unnecessarily mean comments, which to be frank, i can't even recall any specifics but that doesn't mean they haven't happened.

I guess, one of the things that adds weight to any of these comments is that this forum is very close to those creators themselves, like, they are actual people that read the stuff that gets said on here, or the fringe talkhaus communities (discordhaus, patapon, etc.), and there's not that same level of abstraction between how a comment is received regarding these creators, and how anyone who makes these comments has a face and is usually somewhat regular in these communities.

I dunno, I guess I just don't have the full picture here.
Last edited by Piesonscreations 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Piesonscreations wrote: 3 years ago Now, I don't think raocow outwardly saying "Don't do this" would help much at all
You might be surprised, honestly.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

i have said that, multiple times :I
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

i'm not sure why we shouldn't joke about yump 38 considering that the level is obviously a joke itself. also i was right that this was people bringing in outside conversations to this thread and honestly if you dont wanna use the talkhaus just dont i guess, kinda sucks when every conversation here has become impossible to follow if you arent in 5 secret chatrooms
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

As I understand it, this issue isn't joking about YUMP 38, but rather people using YUMP 38 to negatively criticize/put down other works by Lazy.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Rixithechao wrote: 3 years agoI am godawful at arguing this stuff and I should not be the one taking a stand about it. But it feels like nobody else will, like I’m one of the few people who’s still willing to even semi-publicly voice this sentiment and hasn’t completely resigned to accepting the toxicity.
This is because a lot of people who were willing to voice dissenting opinions in the pat left the community because they were getting tired of how the community was handling things on the whole.
And raocow, you’re a great guy but you can’t stay hands-off and neutral forever and expect everything to sort itself out.
This being a major part of the problem really. raocow refuses to actually handle his community himself, leaving them to self-police instead. Which is a notable part of why so many people have been driven from the site. The people I actively interact with from the talkhaus have almost completely left. I see one or two of them around occasionally but those ones largely just seem to lurk. And I know some people who left the community and stopped even watching raocow because they were so tired of how the community acts.
thatguyif wrote: 3 years agoThere's also another factor here: raocow and talkhaus can't do anything about the YouTube commenters, and we all know that. They can be as toxic as all get out and we wouldn't be able to do squat about it. You saw it in the Half-Life 2 LP with Viktor Pedrova, and there have been others as well. There's not as much overlap between them and the rest of the Talkhaus community, so there's not like there's much that can be done.
I'm fairly certain raocow can ban idiots like Viktor Pedrova from his videos. I think(?) he can also make people moderators for his comments too. I didn't watch the HL2 lp since I don't care for the game but I've heard a fair bit about his comments from others and have some personal experience with him from Iso's La-Mulana 2. He's not a good community member in any way. With Iso's LM2 lp he kept chewing me out nonstop about posting "spoilers" and even after Iso told him my comments were perfectly fine he still refused to actually acknowledge he fucked up.Allowing people like that to stick around doesn't make for a healthy community member and they should be evicted as soon as feasible. (Then again a lot of Viktor's refusing to listen to me was that he didn't believe that the person who managed Iso's forums at the time could possibly know what Iso would consider a spoiler, lol... For anyone curious, he considered telling Iso literally anything about the game, even if it was to tell him what the jump button was, constitutes a spoiler. While Iso didn't consider that or things he could have seen on the video and overlooked or things you were only guessing about to be spoilers.)
Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years agoI think the issue is more macro than just debating what happens if you do or do not enjoy YUMP 2. It seems to be more an issue of, whenever you are actively struggling with a game and show clear distaste/negativity for what you are doing, a portion of your viewership blames the creator(s) for you not having a good time and goes forth to harass them. An argument can be, and has been, made that you, as the content creator, have a moral obligation to actively, vocally discourage such behavior, and to actively, vocally condemn it when it happens, as remaining silent is tantamount to endorsing said behavior.
raocow has made more efforts over the years to try to head off stuff like this but he could (and should in my opinion) definitely take a more active role in doing so. I think it'd help a lot in creating a more healthy community.
WinterSweater

Post by WinterSweater »

Alice wrote: 3 years agoraocow has made more efforts over the years to try to head off stuff like this but he could (and should in my opinion) definitely take a more active role in doing so. I think it'd help a lot in creating a more healthy community.
Or he should have someone else do that, if he does not have time from editing and recording videos
Leet

Post by Leet »

I mean he does have people handling the community, called the mods on the talkhaus. Once again I don't get why people + rao even look at the YT comments.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

Leet wrote: 3 years ago I mean he does have people handling the community, called the mods on the talkhaus. Once again I don't get why people + rao even look at the YT comments.
i'm not sure what responding in this way contributes to the conversation when the entire conversation is about the yt comments. people in talkhaus threads have referenced and responded to comments on the lp videos for years and i don't think this approach is going to convince anyone to stop doing that + stop having this conversation
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol

Post by idol »

this thread is really fuckin weird.

what if raocow just does what he wants and people don't get so weirdly involved with the politics of it.

also no one cares about yump38. shit happens. that's all.
Leet

Post by Leet »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 3 years ago i'm not sure what responding in this way contributes to the conversation when the entire conversation is about the yt comments
Alice wrote:raocow refuses to actually handle his community himself, leaving them to self-police instead. Which is a notable part of why so many people have been driven from the site. The people I actively interact with from the talkhaus have almost completely left
not that it actually matters because i dont think anyone should get bogged down in these details, but christ