(shouting)

COMING UP NEXT now w/ BUCKET.TXT

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: COMING UP NEXT

Post by Voltgloss »

Plutia wrote: 5 years ago
raocow wrote: 5 years ago I don't think I'm gonna be boosting anything in the b-side, just consider it an auto-include once I'm done with the current season (as well as la-mulana 2 assuming I liked playing the first one)
having played both the 2nd is a great deal better about the frustrating things from the first game

there's my 2 cents
I concur (based on what I've encountered so far).
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Plutia wrote: 5 years ago
raocow wrote: 5 years ago I don't think I'm gonna be boosting anything in the b-side, just consider it an auto-include once I'm done with the current season (as well as la-mulana 2 assuming I liked playing the first one)
having played both the 2nd is a great deal better about the frustrating things from the first game

there's my 2 cents
I'm not done with 2 yet but it definitely fixes a lot of issues of the first game though it brings a few new ones of its own

I think an LP of either would go terribly though unless raocow is really good about making liberal use of the screenshot button & taking time off camera to solve puzzles :P but we'll see
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Plutia wrote: 5 years agohaving played both the 2nd is a great deal better about the frustrating things from the first game

there's my 2 cents
Except the Icefire Treetop field. Single worst field in either game by far in my opinion. Even Hell Temple is better.

Overall I'd have to agree with everything Parama said. It does fix a lot of issues from the first game but certainly brings about some of its own. (Information overload is a serious issue in this one in my opinion. In the first game I largely didn't have an issue keeping track of things but in this one I constantly struggle to remember everything I've read as well as locations.) I think that overall it may be a bit more confusing for raocow than the first one was. Just about everyone I've talked to who's playing the game, myself include, seems to be struggling to make progress more frequently than in the first game. To the point where Iso's spent the better part of like two videos now largely making no actual progress despite accomplishing minor tasks here and there. I'd suggest raocow wait to decide until after playing the first one.
Crow

Post by Crow »

I actually used a guide for a lot of the first game whereas I've done all but one small puzzle myself in 2 thus far (the puzzle was a complete roadblock for making any more progress)

But I kinda know how la mulana works from playing the first one

The second game's biggest problems imo are the lack of invincibility for spikes and the ridiculous abundance of crush traps like geez lol

As far as information overload being a thing though I just screenshot everything and keep an organized library of stuff :lol:
sylvie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by sylvie »

A friend of mine who finished La-Mulana 2 without guides (!) made maps of each area in a spreadsheet program and put relevant notes on each of the individual squares. I followed the same approach after a while and while it's tedious to do, I think it really helps with the "information overload" and with solving the game in general. You know exactly which rooms you've left unsolved and need to come back to, you're less likely to miss important details because of how meticulous the process is, and it gives a clearer sense of which parts of the world you need to focus on exploring further. Even so, I didn't manage to finish the game without a fair bit of help from that friend on the later puzzles.

I'm very curious how raocow's LP will go because you can't really stop to take notes during an LP, and taking notes is pretty important. But maybe it will work out through some combination of screenshotting important stuff, rewatching footage during editing, and receiving "hints" from Youtube commenters after each episode.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Parama wrote: 5 years agoI actually used a guide for a lot of the first game whereas I've done all but one small puzzle myself in 2 thus far (the puzzle was a complete roadblock for making any more progress)

But I kinda know how la mulana works from playing the first one
While it did take several failed attempts (largely due to my inability to not activate the freaking hard mode tablet...) I managed to beat the first game with only a couple of minor hints throughout the game. I've consistently had far more trouble in the second one with figuring things out.
The second game's biggest problems imo are the lack of invincibility for spikes and the ridiculous abundance of crush traps like geez lol
Yes, that is a really bad problem. Traps are more abundant in general and enemies seem to suffer from an issue commonly seen in some of the romhacks raocow plays where they're placed in the most infuriating positions possible. Comboed with the annoying lack of invincibility for spikes this can result in wondrous occurrences such as getting knocked out of a jump by an enemy and landing on spikes at just the right angle to subsequently get hit by them a second time before you can get control back. There's one room in the Icefire Hellhole (the one where Modgud is if I recall correctly) Where I've had this happen numerous times.
As far as information overload being a thing though I just screenshot everything and keep an organized library of stuff :lol:
I've taken to screenshotting stuff like maps and diagrams from tablets then logging them into a local webpage I started making so I can keep it all organized. This includes the coordinates they're located on in a given field, as well as the room's name, and the author information for tablets and their exact highlighting.

(Spoilers for the area up to and including the first guardian:)
Here you can see the highlighting as well as how area transfers are marked.
Npcs as well as bosses get their glossary info logged. Shops also get their shop contents and prices appended to the bottom of their description.
I do have some work left to do on it though. I'm trying to make area maps interactive so you can click on a room on the map and get its name as well as contents. I've largely got this worked out, just need to finish it up. I also only have the information logged for Yggdrasil currently and haven't bothered with the other fields yet.

Thanks to ShareX it's also a lot easier than it otherwise would be. I can use its OCR to avoid typing all the tablet info out, though I do frequently have to fix some bits it gets wrong.
sylvie

Post by sylvie »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago I've taken to screenshotting stuff like maps and diagrams from tablets then logging them into a local webpage I started making so I can keep it all organized. This includes the coordinates they're located on in a given field, as well as the room's name, and the author information for tablets and their exact highlighting.
That looks really neat - are you thinking of making it public when you've finished the game?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

CAN'T WAIT TO SOMEHOW FACEROLL THROUGH LAMULANA TWO: LAMULANA'S REVENGE
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

my tools of choice for keeping track of things in la mulana 2:

1. pen
2. paper

heck yeah drawin' maps like it's 1989
Alice

Post by Alice »

sylvie wrote: 5 years agoThat looks really neat - are you thinking of making it public when you've finished the game?
Yeah, if people are interested in it I'd be willing to upload it for them once I've got it complete.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

There's no way rao's actually doing La-Mulana blind, right? He must have watched Deceased Crab's LPs.

Must have.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Crow

Post by Crow »

I've played through the entire game and I'd still have trouble remembering the majority of the puzzles because the game is just that damn big
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago There's no way rao's actually doing La-Mulana blind, right? He must have watched Deceased Crab's LPs.

Must have.
this is like the 5th time you've made this post, stop it
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

iso also did an lp
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago There's no way rao's actually doing La-Mulana blind, right? He must have watched Deceased Crab's LPs.

Must have.
Maybe I'm attracted to bad ideas.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago
Leet wrote: 5 years ago

Must have.
Maybe I'm attracted to bad ideas.
I repeat my previous posts disagreeing with the notion that raocow LP'ing La Mulana blind is a "bad idea."
Crow

Post by Crow »

It's going to be, uhh, interesting if nothing else
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I can't wait for when we turn from Talkhausers to La-Mulanites.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

How many games has raocow quit partway through on his channel? Just for reference.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

tirakai wrote: 5 years ago How many games has raocow quit partway through on his channel? Just for reference.
Off the top of my head...

7 Powers (demo i think? maybe something about the author not wanting it spread around?)

Trap Tower (ragequit)

Hina's Fluffy Dream (never actually got around to the postgame even though he said he would)

Super Mario Bros. Doomsday (it was super broken)
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

He finished Trap Tower, it was MariAri he ragequit.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago
tirakai wrote: 5 years ago How many games has raocow quit partway through on his channel? Just for reference.
Off the top of my head...

7 Powers (demo i think? maybe something about the author not wanting it spread around?)

Trap Tower (ragequit)

Hina's Fluffy Dream (never actually got around to the postgame even though he said he would)

Super Mario Bros. Doomsday (it was super broken)
It was 8 Powers, and that was because it was an Unfinished demo that raocow I believe said would return too once the full thing came out (but then forgot until recently)

You also forgot Valdis Story, which he game up on because he didn't want to grind offscreen.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Crow

Post by Crow »

valdis story is a targedy because he was like right at the end of the game too but eehhHH
i can't think of any others myself though
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I don't think Hina's Fluffy Dream counts, he made it clear that he was making no promises about attempting the postgame.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

If raocow can beat Lamulana with very minimal hints, with less than 10 episode zeroes (IE an episode where no progress is made) then I will take back every bad thing I've said about the game. That minimal hints thing is a very important caveat.