(shouting)

COMING UP NEXT now w/ BUCKET.TXT

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: COMING UP NEXT

Post by Alice »

Grounder wrote: 6 years agothe classic anthology at the very least (1-Mania) is meant to be fun to speedrun once you know the level(s)

you can go fast if you know how

replaying value if youre into that kind of thing
That's still really self-defeating design though. The entire gimmick of Sonic is going fast yet the vast majority of levels are designed in such a way that that's very difficult. You shouldn't have to know the levels beforehand in order to use the game's main gimmick.

That'd be like making shitty claustrophobic levels in SMW (whose main gimmick is running and jumping) with lots of weird jumps in it. Most people consider SMW levels like that to be rather bad and for a good reason. I don't see any reason to think any differently when it comes to Sonic.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
Grounder wrote: 6 years agothe classic anthology at the very least (1-Mania) is meant to be fun to speedrun once you know the level(s)

That's still really self-defeating design though. The entire gimmick of Sonic is going fast yet the vast majority of levels are designed in such a way that that's very difficult. You shouldn't have to know the levels beforehand in order to use the game's main gimmick.

That'd be like making shitty claustrophobic levels in SMW (whose main gimmick is running and jumping) with lots of weird jumps in it. Most people consider SMW levels like that to be rather bad and for a good reason. I don't see any reason to think any differently when it comes to Sonic.
The point of Sonic isn't going fast, it's unique platforming and exploration through momentum physics.

Sonic being about going fast was a retarded marketing gimmick that cannibalized the entire franchise.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Sonic Advance is best Sonic.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

Stink Terios wrote: 6 years ago

The point of Sonic isn't going fast, it's unique platforming and exploration through momentum physics.
seconding this, minus the r slur. i can’t blame you for getting the impression ghat sonic is “about going fast”, but it’s wrong.

the director of the first sonic games has stated multiple times in interviews that the core conceit of the games (speaking about sonic 1-3) was based around this aspect of games like super mario bros., games that didn’t have save systems, where the player would replay the earliest parts of the game over and over as they failed the later parts and had to start over; he wanted to take that experience and design around it, so that repeat playthroughs of the same zones will continually feel rewarding and look impressive as the player learns the zones better.

this was always the intent, and the classic sonic games excel at it.
Last edited by CrappyBlueLuigi 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Yeah, Sonic didn't actually become about "going as fast as possible at all times" until, like, Sonic Advance 2 (which started the whole "hold right to win" meme that plagued Sonic games on the internet for a while in the 2000s).
Alice

Post by Alice »

Stink Terios wrote: 6 years agoThe point of Sonic isn't going fast, it's unique platforming and exploration through momentum physics.

Sonic being about going fast was a retarded marketing gimmick that cannibalized the entire franchise.
Well that's the impression everyone I've known, including those who enjoy the series, have always gotten from it. And momentum physics still applies to what I said anyways. Playing a platformer shouldn't be really jarring but unless you're already good at the game you're going to be running into shit constantly completely destroying any momentum in the level. Contrast with Mario where you can easily get the basics and such jarring moments rarely happen.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Stink Terios wrote: 6 years agoThe point of Sonic isn't going fast, it's unique platforming and exploration through momentum physics.

Well that's the impression everyone I've known, including those who enjoy the series, have always gotten from it. And momentum physics still applies to what I said anyways. Playing a platformer shouldn't be really jarring but unless you're already good at the game you're going to be running into shit constantly completely destroying any momentum in the level. Contrast with Mario where you can easily get the basics and such jarring moments rarely happen.
This isn't an issue unless you already have a preconceived notion that you must be going fast at all times. If you're running into things all the time, then just play more slowly and carefully and you'll have plenty of reaction time to everything.
It's worth noting that the classic games are full of clues denoting where you should be running and where you should take your time.

The interesting thing is that Sonic players never have any problems adapting to other platformers, while some people who mostly play Mario kind of have their brains destroyed by Sonic.
I think this is because Mario gameplay IS, in fact, tailored for running full-speed like an idiot, ironically enough. Rushing through levels even if it's your first time throught them is a perfectly valid strategy, while that will just make you blow up in Sonic.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Stink Terios wrote: 6 years agoIf you're running into things all the time, then just play more slowly and carefully and you'll have plenty of reaction time to everything.
Yeah, it's still kinda difficult even if you're trying to be careful due to the horrific physics the series has. It's worse than Mario's ice physics by like 2-3x at least. The only difference is that taking off from a stop is a bit quicker in comparison.
The interesting thing is that Sonic players never have any problems adapting to other platformers, while some people who mostly play Mario kind of have their brains destroyed by Sonic.
Well yeah. It's kinda understandable that migrating from good physics to shit physics would be a far more difficult task than moving from shit physics to good physics.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

ok, if you think that classic sonic's physics are bad, we're all done here
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

WHEN IS HE PLAYING HENRY HATSWORTH
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

when did this become the request thread?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

You're right, I was being annoying again and I apologize 🦃
warpio

Post by warpio »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago when did this become the request thread?
I dunno, I think people are just using this thread to have a more in depth discussion about the games they look forward to seeing raocow play, rather than filling up the request thread with long discussions in between all the actual useful request posts (which would make it harder to use that thread for its intended purpose).
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

tbh, I feel as if this thread is better served for discussing what he is committed to playing, and the request thread for stuff he hasn't committed to playing.

I think what we need is either a third thread for longform discussion of games coming out/things to keep an eye on, or make the request thread that (with the actual requests being left to patapon polls)
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I'm too much of a filthy commie to be down with the idea that only patapons should be able to request shit, and I'm actually a patapon.

The fact that I'm too lazy to actually look at Patapon at all has nothing to do with it. Honest.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i mean

rao is under no obligation to actually play anything some random schmuck like me wants him to
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

throwing this here before i forget, in case you ever play games with SGB support: https://forums.libretro.com/t/higan-v10 ... rial/12676
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I don't have much technical expertise, but what is the point of the above? BGB has Super Game Boy, and it's simple to use.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index ... _emulators
higan is the only emulator that properly emulates all of the Super Game Boy's features, such as utilizing the SPC sound chip, due to having a separate SNES core
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years agoI don't have much technical expertise, but what is the point of the above? BGB has Super Game Boy, and it's simple to use.
I looked into basically all of this when I did Link's Awakening and decided that it was better for me if I added the border in post rather than trying to make the border part of the original footage.

BGB is a Super Game Boy as far as the game itself can see - it pulls the border directly from the game and tells it to use SGB palettes, and for the most part these two things are what people care about when they want SGB mode.

However, none of the other toys that come with being in SGB mode (changing the palettes using only the controller, arting the screen, being able to 'edit' the border while the game is running, having the border be directly part of the video output) are built into BGB. This is because they're handled by the SNES (the SNES programming for these toys is in the SGB cart's firmware, which DMG emulators don't know what to do with as - to my understanding, anyway - it's written for a completely different system).

tl;dr: BGB isn't actually doing SGB because SGB is a SNES being a hypervisor for a physical DMG unit (albeit one without its own power source or video output or controller). However, for most purposes what BGB does do is enough.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago OK, with Earthworm Jim Duology on the on-deck circle, I have setups ready for both Earthworm Jim for Windows 95, and the Saturn Ewrthworm Jim 2:
In order to get EWJ95 correctly working, I had run it though a pcem emulation of Windows 95, which unfortunately inflates the size of the setup, but otherwise it works fine, when combined with VirtualDVD (since the latest stable of pcem doesn't have bin/cue support)

for EWJ2, the Saturn core of mednafen is a bit CPU-intensive, and you might see a slight bit of frameskipping in windowed mode. Fullscreen mode seemed fine
welp, the mednafen saturn core /just/ updated to include savestates. I'll probably take a look and get a config up on patapon spotzone as an alternative.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

whatever is simplest and takes less cpu to run
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

retroarch is imo a billion times easier to run (though configuring it /can/ get a bit confusing at times). in theory, you just throw the Saturn BIOS in the correct folder and update the beetle saturn core, and you're good to go.

Unfortunately, the update hasn't hit their servers yet, so I can't actually test this fully. However, preliminary testing with the old core seems promising (and no, it won't look like this at the end of the day :P)
Attachments
Earthworm Jim 2-171108-221935.png
Earthworm Jim 2-171108-221935.png (397.7 KiB) Viewed 3468 times
Grounder

Re: COMING UP """""""""""""NEXT""""""""""""""

Post by Grounder »

oh no
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Geez, I can't believe raocow would betray our trust by not adhering to a semi-arbitrary list that he made himself.
(I was kinda looking forward to Super Mario Land 2 as the next A-Side, though).