(shouting)

COMING UP NEXT now w/ BUCKET.TXT

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: COMING UP NEXT

Post by Kilgamayan »

idol wrote: 3 years ago this thread is really fuckin weird.

what if raocow just does what he wants and people don't get so weirdly involved with the politics of it.
With all due respect, if there are legitimate harassment problems going on (whether they are targeting Lazy or otherwise), the solution to them is probably not "keep doing things exactly the same way they've always been done".
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

Leet wrote: 3 years ago
CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 3 years ago i'm not sure what responding in this way contributes to the conversation when the entire conversation is about the yt comments
Alice wrote:raocow refuses to actually handle his community himself, leaving them to self-police instead. Which is a notable part of why so many people have been driven from the site. The people I actively interact with from the talkhaus have almost completely left
not that it actually matters because i dont think anyone should get bogged down in these details, but christ
i don't know whether to bother acknowledging your point here because you didn't acknowledge mine at all, instead you dove for a contradiction you could point out just so you could voice more frustration with the continuing discussion and, like you admitted, bog the thread down. i don't feel like you read my reply in good faith.

the discussion about talkhaus moderation feels like a separate, intersecting discussion happening along side people voicing issues about youtube comment sections and their impact on the talkhaus atmosphere.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

look. I realise that the way I'm treating the youtube comments is not very popular. I understand that.

the reality is that I do go through the comments. I do block accounts practically daily. Most of these are bots. But I'll also block people who openly say bigotry or other sort of hatespeech. Sometimes it happens. sometimes I don't catch it.

But like.. the reality is that I'm not a people person. I'm extremely a loner in real life. I'm not good at people-ing. I am the least suited individual to be 'in charge' so to speak to a couple thousand people posting anonymously on a website I don't control. I've had this role hoisted upon me, and I try to do my best.

The reality is I geuinely can't tell when someone is 'bullied' in the context of text comments. 100% of the yump38 example I have confidently interpreted as just silly ribbing because nobody in jump team actually cares about gs. Am I wrong? Am I right? It's impossible to tell, at least to me, and I will always, always always air on the side of caution that malice was not intended. Maybe that's the wrong path for me to take but it's the one I've chosen.

Like I genuinely don't know how to respond to any of this because I'm not able to interpret the problem.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

like since I think I'm genuinely unable to do it myself, do you guys think getting youtube mods would be the solution? I'm willing to give it a try.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

im hearing a lot of "there is/might be/could be a problem" and not a lot of "i suggest -this- to solve the problem"

edit: if there really is a problem in the youtube comments, we could just close the comments for certain more intense vids.
tho i dont actually believe the problem is quite as drastic as some people have been hyperbolating in this thread
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

raocow wrote: 3 years ago like since I think I'm genuinely unable to do it myself, do you guys think getting youtube mods would be the solution? I'm willing to give it a try.
It could certainly help, what's the worst that could happen?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Awoo wrote: 3 years ago It could certainly help, what's the worst that could happen?
edit: this is endorsement
Last edited by AUS 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
raocow

Post by raocow »

ha

I'll give it a serious consideration.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

AUS wrote: 3 years agoim hearing a lot of "there is/might be/could be a problem" and not a lot of "i suggest -this- to solve the problem"

edit: if there really is a problem in the youtube comments, we could just close the comments for certain more intense vids.
tho i dont actually believe the problem is quite as drastic as some people have been hyperbolating in this thread
A few bad apples shouldn't ruin it for everyone though. The few that are being a problem should be taken care of rather than closing comments even for everyone that isn't causing problems.

And @raocow, I think you should definitely at the very least consider it. I only pay attention to Youtube comments from a few people in particular myself but there's a lot of people who only seem to comment on Youtube and not here, so you should do what you can to foster a healthy community there.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Then you'd have to have it where it's people you can trust for moderation or otherwise you get the power trip ones. It's kind of why most of the mods on here right now are more laid back compared to how it was a few years ago where it felt like it was aggression meets aggression.

The other suggestion is turn on the hold potentially harmful comments for review tab on videos, but I'm not sure that would flag everything to begin with.

Now if it's stuff going on the boards here, then you have to mark it. I just do not see everything that gets posted on here. Same probably goes for the other mods. In fact, I'm just coming in to give this thread a good look since this all picked up for the first time.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Bean wrote: 3 years ago Now if it's stuff going on the boards here, then you have to mark it. I just do not see everything that gets posted on here. Same probably goes for the other mods. In fact, I'm just coming in to give this thread a good look since this all picked up for the first time.
This. I feel like this wouldn't have blown up as much as it did if the mods were made aware of the situations described. This course of action clearly wasn't taken, and it boggles my mind why
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

I think the crucial thing on everyone's minds that you all fail to grasp is the extent to which YUMP 2 is inseminated from smwcentraldotnet into the minds of the collective viewers of the talkhaus community; both abstractly as a mode of expression, and as a videogame containing bowser.
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

anonymousbl00dlust wrote: I think the crucial thing on everyone's minds that you all fail to grasp is the extent to which YUMP 2 is inseminated from smwcentraldotnet into the minds of the collective viewers of the talkhaus community; both abstractly as a mode of expression, and as a videogame containing bowser.
No, I just don't want to be accused of something I had nothing to do with. Not every person in this community is here for some hack of an old game.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

Considering YouTube does allow channels to have proper moderators, I do think you should consider it. I'm glad you blocked the bots at the very least.

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I think the only reasonable approach here is a reactive one. Ultimately it all comes down to spotting those who infringe and dealing with them. If anyone is encountering unpleasant problem cases, they should definitely speak up, too.
video games
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Let's be nice, please.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i already saw someone go "You WILL deal with our level gimmicks! Got a problem with that? GIT GUD SKRUB!!!" regarding YUMP 2 and i had a sudden explosion from the whole thing due to just being tired of constant "hard games are bad and not fun" narratives going on amongst certain talkhausers and former smw hackers at talkhaus and also my really bad mental state right now (i did apologize to them for it at the end because im awful)

a comment someone i know left about the clown car being designed without, and i quote, "caring about playability and fun" due to being "uncaring about how it actually PLAYS, just making something that LOOKS impressive" without even having played it and i realize that's something that i did back in JUMP 1/2 but it just soured me so hard on the comments section. they go on to say "You never want to frustrate the player into wanting to quit, even if that's your goal. It's not fun for anyone. It's not good design." as if hard gameplay is not valid game design. it's frustrating as someone who wants to design bosses and hacks and ASM for smw. nothing is ever good enough for the audience. it's too carol-y, it's too quick, it's too hard, it's too easy, it's too hectic, it's too tedious, it's too simple, it's too complex.

the comments section and talkhaus (and yes, even smw central, and i'm gonna include kaizo stream chats too) is just a series of backseat gamers trying to strut their knowledge of what they think they know is game design and, in talkhaus, twitch and youtube's case, how they know all about a game by merely watching raocow/the streamer playing it and that is just the most frustratingly agonizing thing because who in their right mind would want to have their work showcased for a community that acts that way? it's embarrassing. and people then try to hide it under "constructive criticism" narratives and it's like... please stop.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago things
Koba there is another topic for this, please move your response there.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow

Post by raocow »

op updated
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

Okami and ASMT replay hype!
fart.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

yesessesyesessesyesessesyesessesyes
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

OOOOKAMI OOOOKAMI OOOOKAMI OOOOKAMI OOOOKAMI
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Okami is one of those games I've heard endless great things about. It's something I've been meaning to play but like so many other things, I haven't gotten around to it.
So that will be very exciting to see eventually!

Also YES ASMT Replay. I can't wait! And wow the original LP is 10 years old :O
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*