(shouting)

COMING UP NEXT now w/ BUCKET.TXT

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: COMING UP NEXT

Post by Bean »

raocow wrote: 6 years agobecause I know nothing about them. are they organised the same way as a megaman? do they involve a past capcom staff member? (even if inafune's presence in the old megaman is accidental more than anything, he still symbolised a tacit passing of the torch)
Yes. The game is similar in structure to the Mega Man Zero games with an emphasis on score attack. You earn parts for higher scores in missions which can be used for upgrades or abilities like double jumping and air dashing. The main difference is that you tag and fry enemies as opposed to hacking and slashing them up. Spikes don't even instantly kill you unless you use a risky ability to earn more points.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Azure Striker Gunvolt looks and plays like a possible MMZX sequel at first glance, seeing at it was made by the same people who did those after all, but in reality it is a very different game. Just playing through it is absurdly easy for an experienced Zero/ZX player (as raocow will be at that point), but every system in the game except for the basic jumping/shooting engine is designed for you to replay stages over and over again to try and get equipment parts and, more importantly, increase your score.

It is far more about that sweet, sweet high-score (translating to Ranks like in the Zero games) than about being a super polished platformer, and I think that shows a lot in the level design and enemy placement. Especially the latter, as they always have to be set up in a way so you can fish for triple or quadruple kills and it makes far less sense if you don't care for those.

The bosses are still fun, but you can really tank through them with relative ease especially after equipping a few defensive items, another thing that makes total sense with score attack in mind: getting hit of course tanks your score, so it doesn't matter how much damage they do, just that they hit you at all. They're geared for that, not for simply killing you by emptying your health bar like Zero/ZX bosses.

In this vein, I think a comparison is not recommendable. I had a decent amount of fun with Gunvolt, but I felt like I had played a third of a game I wanted and there's two thirds of content which I simply do not care for at all.

Mighty Gunvolt is basically a joke, it's something like six stages in 8-bit style with Inticreates/Inafune characters. It was free on 3DS when buying Gunvolt, and should be treated as such - a fun little bonus that you can blast through in one 30-minute session and that's it. No depth at all.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

The reverse voting order thing really is kinda silly raocow, even if you make an exception for first place. It makes votes have the opposite of their intended effect, so that second place is worse than tenth place.

"Hey everyone, don't vote for XYZ! Celeste will win, so the less we vote for XYZ the sooner we can watch its LP."

... in fact, I think you've basically just created a poll for "which of these do you want to see the least".

You might be hearing plenty of this sentiment on Discord or the patreon comments or somewhere else I don't read often enough, so pardon if I'm joining a dogpile.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

I pretty much agree entirely with what Dito said, though I feel like I'm already critical enough of raocow that I didn't want to make it worse. :P

Moreover, it's as someone else said. While there's certainly something to be said about building hype/anticipation, when people vote, that means they want to see something *now*, or at least *soon*, not "next year, after going through a bunch of games people clearly weren't as excited to see", at which point they may have lost interest. Strike while the iron is hot, I'd say. Doing the opposite of what everyone wants/expects might work for a short LP like a Megaman game, but when an LP can take anywhere from 1-3 months minimum, waiting for eight games to finish until the one you want finally comes up is just... kinda tedious.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The idea of building up hype works better in a well-defined closed set, like counting down to 1st place in a contest. A list of Patreon vote winners isn't really like that. To a casual observer they're just a bunch of games blending in a continuous line of let's plays, especially if they're mixed with games not from the votes.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

I get the appeal of wanting to handle it like level design contests, but reverse order here seems like a good way to make a lot more of your viewers feel like "these LPs are delaying the one I actually want to see", "can we get on with this already", etc. It frames the game they voted most for as the end goal while the others are just in the way, something to just get through. They'll be much more likely to enjoy and appreciate all of them if you do it the other way around because then you're the establishing runner-ups bonuses instead of obstacles.

And reverse-order-oh-except-for-first seems like a convoluted solution that still doesn't solve the problem as well as good ol' first-to-last.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

YelseyKing wrote: 6 years agoI pretty much agree entirely with what Dito said
So... Ditto what Dito said?
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Dittto on what Ditto said etc
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
LatexHydra

Post by LatexHydra »

I wonder what the SM64 hack will be. Last Impact? That's the only other one I've heard of that's considered good.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

LatexHydra wrote: 6 years ago I wonder what the SM64 hack will be. Last Impact? That's the only other one I've heard of that's considered good.

If this hack by the same guy is out by then, there's a good chance that it'll be a coin flip between the two of them, I think.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

dude's made quite a few actually, so there's options for hacks:

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Mea

Post by Mea »

A bit late to leave a comment on Gunvolt, but I would recommend against including it in with the All Megaman list, if that's what was on the table. Playing it casually must be dreadfully boring and mindless since the enemies are pretty passive, sparsely distributed (relatively speaking, for an action platformer), and it's almost impossible to die in any of the levels. The game gives you a kind of perpetual invincibility state as long as you aren't attacking.

The real game comes from repeating the stage over and over to perfect your little scoring strats, trying to string them all together without taking a single hit. Once you're able to do so, it's a very smooth experience and satisfying to watch yourself perform. It's similar to the rush, the feeling of watching an expert speedrunner glide through a level. And your cyber wife starts singing for you. But all this means that it's not very LP friendly, so I can't recommend it.
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Sooooo.. Fidget Spinner 64 actually exists?

Gaming is officially dead. And raocow will bury it by playing that hack.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

as long as its not a skelux hack go the fuck off
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Grounder wrote: 6 years ago
LatexHydra wrote: 6 years ago I wonder what the SM64 hack will be. Last Impact? That's the only other one I've heard of that's considered good.

If this hack by the same guy is out by then, there's a good chance that it'll be a coin flip between the two of them, I think.

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago

oshit
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
IRikarte

Post by IRikarte »

I honestly can't recommend that game. It sure looks nice and I have a lot of respect for the amount of work the creator put into it but that doesn't change the fact that a good chunk of it is a buggy mess with rather questionable design choices.

I would suggest checking out the Star Revenge series by BroDute. Here's a little preview to one of his latest hacks and the one I've enjoyed the most:

The hack has 85 Stars, 10 main courses, moderate difficulty and is overall just a pleasure to play.
LatexHydra

Post by LatexHydra »

IRikarte wrote: 6 years ago
I honestly can't recommend that game. It sure looks nice and I have a lot of respect for the amount of work the creator put into it but that doesn't change the fact that a good chunk of it is a buggy mess with rather questionable design choices.

I would suggest checking out the Star Revenge series by BroDute. Here's a little preview to one of his latest hacks and the one I've enjoyed the most:

The hack has 85 Stars, 10 main courses, moderate difficulty and is overall just a pleasure to play.
I've heard of the star revenge series. I'm not saying it looks bad, but its just the fact that he's made like 7 of them in not a huge amount of time that worries me about them. but who knows, maybe he just works very fast.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

yeah, no, star revenge is on the stinkier side
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

So basically, Last Impact is Brutal Mario 64?
IRikarte

Post by IRikarte »

LatexHydra wrote: 6 years ago

I've heard of the star revenge series. I'm not saying it looks bad, but its just the fact that he's made like 7 of them in not a huge amount of time that worries me about them. but who knows, maybe he just works very fast.
Yeah, many people are wondering how he manages to pump out that many hacks in such a short amount of time so I can understand your concern. Judging from his streams tho he is just really fast at working.
IRikarte

Post by IRikarte »

Grounder wrote: 6 years ago yeah, no, star revenge is on the stinkier side
Can you explain why? Except for Night of Doom, every game in the series was at least good imo.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Can you explain why? Except for Night of Doom, every game in the series was at least good imo.
Too hard, too punishing.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
IRikarte

Post by IRikarte »

Too hard, too punishing.
Fair enough, the difficulty is a little rough sometimes but I wouldn't call it too hard. It's definitely not something that raocow wouldn't be able to get through, especially since he managed to beat Star Road - a hack with a really weird difficulty spike itself