(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Heavy Sigh

Re: Mega Man 9 - Retro Reboot

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago Ugh, they had to bring the weird uncomfortable "the villains are totally in the right here but they're Causing Chaos so we can pretend the heroes are justified" thing into the classic series. I mean, it links it better to X, but seeing it presented like this makes it start to feel less like sloppy writing and more like a legitimately held belief. Just like as with X, we're basically playing as a law enforcer who solves the situation through violence because it's our duty. Mega Man truly fights for everlasting peace, not justice. Yeah, I'm sure they'll handwave it with something like "society isn't THAT bad, Wily just manipulated them!" just like they did with Sigma over and over, but that doesn't really make it any better.
Just because Wily had a point doesn't mean that our heroes aren't justified. He took advantage of an actual societal ill to manipulate its victims into advancing his own aims. That's more than enough reason to blow up his castle again.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago
One also needs to keep in mind that humans, too, have an expiration date. It's just not fixed.

It's like they tried to touch on the "robots are becoming more like humans" thing, but started with the lifespan while robots are still nothing more than servants, and didn't think of any of the implications.
Ahh, the moral dilemma and consequences of building sapient robots with replaceable parts but giving them mortality and then forcing them to battle other robots.

How very NieR.
"Glory to mankind!"
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago Ugh, they had to bring the weird uncomfortable "the villains are totally in the right here but they're Causing Chaos so we can pretend the heroes are justified"
Well, I mean, this is Wily we're talking about. His personality and character growth has the depth of a dried-up tide pool. It's pretty obvious that while he has a good point, he's hardly in the right because he's just using that point to manipulate others for his own gains.

plus iirc in the end Dr. Light repairs the Robot Masters and takes strides towards fixing the unfair expiration date laws by like ... I think they're still decommissioned from official duty, but then they're moved into private ownership like Light's bots instead of being scrapped. Rock not understanding the problem isn't meant a sign that the expiration date thing isn't wrong, I don't think, it's just that the current age of AI has limited ability to develop past its initial programming on its own - hence why the Robot Masters themselves didn't initially understand rebelling against the law and had to be convinced that the chaos they'd cause would make people realize they'd still be useful ... which is probably how a more intelligent Roomba would try to prolong its existence

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago
Leet wrote: 5 years ago Ugh, they had to bring the weird uncomfortable "the villains are totally in the right here but they're Causing Chaos so we can pretend the heroes are justified" thing into the classic series. I mean, it links it better to X, but seeing it presented like this makes it start to feel less like sloppy writing and more like a legitimately held belief. Just like as with X, we're basically playing as a law enforcer who solves the situation through violence because it's our duty. Mega Man truly fights for everlasting peace, not justice. Yeah, I'm sure they'll handwave it with something like "society isn't THAT bad, Wily just manipulated them!" just like they did with Sigma over and over, but that doesn't really make it any better.
Just because Wily had a point doesn't mean that our heroes aren't justified. He took advantage of an actual societal ill to manipulate its victims into advancing his own aims. That's more than enough reason to blow up his castle again.
Yeah, I'm sure they'll handwave it with something like "society isn't THAT bad, Wily just manipulated them!" just like they did with Sigma over and over, but that doesn't really make it any better.
yall, storytelling is storytelling, it's thematic choices people made. it's not real. "we're given a justification to go shoot dissenters of the law" is the opposite of better

it's not like this pseudo-NES game's plot being bad matters that much, but mega man (x) has told this story about "why it was ok to shoot all those guys actually" over and over, even zero which is supposed to be about questioning this leaned on this with "elpizo wants freedom TOO much". it is possible to tell nuanced stories about people like wily taking advantage of real concerns/"concern trolling" to get what they want, but MM9's story is a bit too simple to pull that off
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago
Yeah, I'm sure they'll handwave it with something like "society isn't THAT bad, Wily just manipulated them!" just like they did with Sigma over and over, but that doesn't really make it any better.
yall, storytelling is storytelling, it's thematic choices people made. it's not real. "we're given a justification to go shoot dissenters of the law" is the opposite of better

it's not like this pseudo-NES game's plot being bad matters that much, but mega man (x) has told this story about "why it was ok to shoot all those guys actually" over and over, even zero which is supposed to be about questioning this leaned on this with "elpizo wants freedom TOO much". it is possible to tell nuanced stories about people like wily taking advantage of real concerns/"concern trolling" to get what they want, but MM9's story is a bit too simple to pull that off
Bad guys are allowed to make good points or be sympathetic from time to time. It's their actions that make them bad guys. Not every villain has to be a puppy-kicking monster who's 100% wrong about every observation they have about society.

Not to mention MMX isn't just wall-to-wall status quo bootlicking. The whole reason Signas exists is because the last commander of the Maverick Hunters had to retire in shame after what happened with Repliforce, and Command Mission ends with you

fighting Colonel Redips after it's revealed that he was behind the plot of the entire game, and Epsilon and the Rebellion received posthumous pardons after the fact.

Also, Elpizo wanted to kill all humans. He literally turned into Sigma 2.0, complete with the ability to rob Reploids of their free will to serve him with the Dark Elf.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Just cause x4 and command mission handled this recurring narrative better than, say, x8 or the one where alia killed all those guys, doesn't really change my criticism which is that this series has set up said narrative over and over. The defining aspect of X plots is still "kill the 8 political dissenters" even after it was well established that that was what maverick truly meant. And while Zero handles it better, X8 came out in the middle of the Zero series and was really bad about this.

Also telling me that Elpizo was really evil is irrelevant because, again, these are not real people, they are characters. Elpizo was written to be really evil, and the poor way that was done is part of what I'm criticizing.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Super Llama

Post by Super Llama »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago Just cause x4 and command mission handled this recurring narrative better than, say, x8 or the one where alia killed all those guys, doesn't really change my criticism which is that this series has set up said narrative over and over. The defining aspect of X plots is still "kill the 8 political dissenters" even after it was well established that that was what maverick truly meant. And while Zero handles it better, X8 came out in the middle of the Zero series and was really bad about this.

Also telling me that Elpizo was really evil is irrelevant because, again, these are not real people, they are characters. Elpizo was written to be really evil, and the poor way that was done is part of what I'm criticizing.
You keep using "political dissenters" as if VIOLENT political dissent doesn't exist, and that every Maverick that X and friends fight hasn't been violent. Sigma's a Reploid-supremacist who wants to kill all humans and has no problem killing a ton of reploids along the way, and all the villains from the first three games are either loyal followers or were brainwashed into being loyal followers. And with X4 and Command Mission, the writers obviously know that Political Mavericks aren't always evil, but their actions are still unacceptable (Repliforce wants to found their new independent nation on an orbital death satellite and has attacked at least one city unprovoked as a distraction, and the Rebellion wants to forcibly power-up innocents Reploids with Supra Force Metal, which he knows has already killed multiple Reploids because they couldn't handle it.) Meanwhile, X constantly tries to get people to stand down and surrender peacefully, and his opponents won't have it, because they're either brainwashed, insane, or too hard-set in their beliefs to accept compromise.

And as for X8, the game constantly raises a fuss about how much the world NEEDS the Jakob Elevator and the resources it brings in to survive, and Lumine and Sigma seized control of this very important lifeline for the continued survival of a planet that was finally just coming out of the Eurasia incident, all while Sigma was...Sigma, and Lumine was basically Sigma, but now humans AND old gen Reploids have to die.

And I don't see how Elpizo being written to be evil is bad writing. It's established from the beginning that he's a megalomaniac with a chip on his shoulder about Neo Arcadia. And once he goes completely over the edge...well, I dunno about you, but I'd say it'd be LESS understandable for an unhinged megalomaniac who wants to destroy something and everything it stands for to go "Oh, but spare these people over here. They're cool. I mean, this entire thing I've swore to destroy only exists because of them, but it's not like they deserve to die or anything."
Leet

Post by Leet »

Yet again, these are fictional things a writer wrote down, not actual historical events. I'm not interested in plot-minutiae-as-justification when my criticism has to do with how conflict is framed and written about. Each of these details is part of my criticism, not a counterpoint to it. Of course the mavericks are violent, that's what I've been talking about since post one: how violence is consistently ascribed to all forces that oppose societal order.
Super Llama

Post by Super Llama »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago Yet again, these are fictional things a writer wrote down, not actual historical events. I'm not interested in plot-minutiae-as-justification when my criticism has to do with how conflict is framed and written about. Each of these details is part of my criticism, not a counterpoint to it.
I'm pointing out the in-universe reasons for their actions and the resulting in-universe reasons for characters' actions against them, and all I see you saying is "They're fictional characters, therefore bad writing" as if they makes any sense at all.

Whatever.
Leet

Post by Leet »

If you look very closely, you'll notice that what I actually said was "I'm not interested in plot-minutiae-as-justification when my criticism has to do with how conflict is framed and written about". Literary criticism isn't really about what happens in-universe, it's about the themes of a work, and I find these themes to be poorly conveyed at best and actively disagreeable at worst (as we saw from raocow's commentary today).

It should be noted that, of course, that this is all just because the developers need the player to fight eight bosses.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

i kinda wanna see a mega man game now where the entire plot is that wily has a castle that needs blowing up and he wants mega man to do it for free
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I do feel like if Splash Woman and her cohorts had gone to Dr. Light, or if Dr. Light had broached the subject with them first, and they had been all "hey, we'd actually prefer to NOT die, we think we can still be useful to humanity", he probably would have put some serious consideration into it and figured out a solution that worked for everyone.* I can appreciate (and even agree with) major reservations about/disagreements with using violence to suppress political dissidents, but

Wily outright reprogrammed them to be ~eeeEEEeeeEEeeeviiiil~ and was only using the political points he was making as a means to the eventual end of fleecing the world of its money

, so I'm not sure that necessarily applies in this case.

I also feel like this is way more plot analysis than a Mega Man game deserves, because like you said, Mega Man plot exists purely as an excuse to fight seven bad guys and a bad gal. :V

Go figure that this is how the game ends anyway!

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years ago Ha, leaving the fortress to go to the shop. You'd have to walk all the way back and then do the stages again.

Jokes aside this would erase fortress progress.
Oop, my bad. Still, though, it would have taken very little time/effort to farm for 22 screws in a completed stage. One probably wouldn't even need to farm, they'd probably pick up that much on a normal run-through of any stage.
Isrieri wrote: 5 years ago I really like this fortress boss. Its like a boobeam trap but actually good. You wouldn't think something so simple would require you to hone your reflexes so much.

I can't remember if there's a trick to the boss or if its weak to a weapon.
IIRC Tornado Blow is useful since it hits everything at once, but it's not particularly cost-effective and chances are good you don't have much of it left at this point of the stage.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

All this talk makes it even more amusing to me how much MM10's story will bring to mind the X series.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

Super Llama wrote: 5 years ago
Leet wrote: 5 years ago Yet again, these are fictional things a writer wrote down, not actual historical events. I'm not interested in plot-minutiae-as-justification when my criticism has to do with how conflict is framed and written about. Each of these details is part of my criticism, not a counterpoint to it.
I'm pointing out the in-universe reasons for their actions and the resulting in-universe reasons for characters' actions against them, and all I see you saying is "They're fictional characters, therefore bad writing" as if they makes any sense at all.

Whatever.
the problem is that leet had a very clear issue and you're responding to it with a different conversation entirely

leet isn't coming in here and explaining why she thinks the characters' motives are bad, she's talking from an out-universe (is that a term people use?) perspective about aspects of the plot in terms of how they're framed for the player. the x games are meant to be full of moral ambiguity because of key characters having motivations that aren't simply good or evil, but at the end of the day, x and the gang will always kill 8 robots for political insurgency. game after game, it becomes clear that it doesn't matter what x and co are being presented with ideologically, they're always going to have a reason to decry it and kill it off and be framed like they're doing the right thing solely because they're the protagonists and gameplay avatars

it's a thought-process that can't be boiled down just by looking at character actions and evaluating their decisions only in the context of their world.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

I think the best terms for what you're trying to convey are "real-world" or perhaps "practical".

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 5 years ago
Super Llama wrote: 5 years ago

Whatever.
the problem is that leet had a very clear issue and you're responding to it with a different conversation entirely

leet isn't coming in here and explaining why she thinks the characters' motives are bad, she's talking from an out-universe (is that a term people use?) perspective about aspects of the plot in terms of how they're framed for the player. the x games are meant to be full of moral ambiguity because of key characters having motivations that aren't simply good or evil, but at the end of the day, x and the gang will always kill 8 robots for political insurgency. game after game, it becomes clear that it doesn't matter what x and co are being presented with ideologically, they're always going to have a reason to decry it and kill it off and be framed like they're doing the right thing solely because they're the protagonists and gameplay avatars

it's a thought-process that can't be boiled down just by looking at character actions and evaluating their decisions only in the context of their world.
I was going to add to that conversation but you summed it up way better than I could. ^^;
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Leet is providing a Doylist/extradiegetic critique, and people are responding with Watsonian/intradiegetic explanations.

"Why did they write moral ambiguity into both the setting and thus also Doctor Wily, when this is a textbook shonen story which will validate the protagonists regardless of the villain's justification?"
"Because Doctor Wily is manipulative and lies, and the expiry date exists because of standard sci-fi robot AI decay/rampancy"
"Yes, but why did the writers put it in in the first place?"
"You're not listening, because Wily!"
"You're not listening, why writers?"

And to answer Leet's question, albeit pessimistically: Because whether Capcom can find their ass with both hands is a coin-flip on the best of days, and they crib from whatever sci-fi is popular, regardless of the implications of it. They've always been trampling on Tezuka and Asimov's coattails without actually understanding or conveying the themes they're copying. Birdmen, vigorously flapping feathers stapled to their arms in an imitation of true flight. You're right in that they're just doing it to justify fighting eight themed bosses and then a gauntlet of fortress stages, but what they actually write largely comes down to mimickry of other popular stories about robots.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

The major flaw in the whole story is probably just the fact that limits of the current generation of robot AI are completely unexplored. Like, okay, slapping an expiration date on a Metool and require it be scrapped by then, I could easily see people ultimately being fine with that. But you're telling me

it takes a rebellion caused by the desperation for survival to convince Dr. Light that these robots shouldn't be put under the same restrictions?

How advanced is a Number's / Robot Master's AI, then? Rock seems pretty dang intelligent, and the other Numbers seem to pretty close to full, if not entirely full, sentience ... but I suppose, if we take gameplay mechanics literally, it's only Rock, Roll, Protoman, Bass, and Duo ( + the rest of Light's original Numbers, after being fixed up in Powered Up ) that seem to have fully human AI due to, y'know, being played by the ( presumably ) human player, whereas the others don't actually have all that advanced AI, with some basically just acting like standard enemy robots that are a lot more powerful ( Magma Man stems to mind - his pattern would be a lot less intimidating on a basic enemy ). Those that don't still don't really have many more layers, though, with honestly less dynamic thinking than a Roomba.

But then again, there's the whole aspect of how well they can hold up a completely unscripted ( in-universe, anyway ) conversation in the voiced games. I suppose it's possible that since most Numbers ( and basically none of the the playable ones besides Bass, who is clearly way above the rest of Wily's creations ) are built just straight-up by the less robotically capable Wily, most of the Numbers really are just humanoid battle robots that he didn't bother programming more than basic attack procedures for. That wouldn't really explain this set of Numbers, though, so ... I don't know, really. Even if the Numbers' in-game combat AI is literally their in-universe combat AI, most of the non-Wily ones aren't designed for combat ( or were outright reprogrammed by Dr. Wily, and so the comment on non-Bass Wily Numbers applies ), so it'd make a fair bit of sense that they'd have really basic AI in the off chance that they needed to defend themselves or a civilian from a Wily attack.

Plus all of this goes out the window in basically every portrayal of Mega Man robots in other mediums, so ... yeah, not really something that's clear to anyone.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

There are a surprising number of people that

seem to be assuming Wily just told Team 9 here to go on a rampage to save themselves and they blindly listened to what he had to say, when it seems far more likely that he, being the evil genius Doctor Wily, brainwashed/reprogrammed them after tricking them into trusting him for long enough to let him do it. Judging from the cutscene, they certainly seem to have the capacity for critical thinking, and by default, they demonstrably prioritize human civilization over their own survival; it seems exceedingly unlikely Wily would be able to get them to think "we should go out and destroy human civilization, that will surely endear humanity to us and our plight" through words alone.

But maybe I'm misremembering the details of the ending? Guess we'll find out in a few more videos.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

sigma did nothing wrong :partygator:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

By this point Doctor Wily is a convicted and escaped criminal. He's maliciously tampered with other robot's programing, performed grand theft, international kidnapping, blackmail, impersonation, caused untold damages with his robots, meddled with cosmic ancient evil. The list goes on after that.

Societal woes aside. Not one of Light's 8 robots master thought it might be a good idea to arrest Wily.

And they worried about being useful!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

It's too bad that it took until literally the last robot master being killed for one of them to drop their memory chip so they could see what Wily did. Could have saved everyone some trouble if they just got that info after killing the first one.

Also, if we learn from this that all robots are recording everything they see all the time, why does it matter that Wily stole the chip back so the information couldn't go public? Mega Man and Roll were watching the footage. Just grab the footage of them watching the video from their memory chips.
Or maybe the genius Dr Light could learn the value of backing up important data.
Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago The stupidest part is that they clearly had conditional variables programmed in for exactly that situation; the scene with Wily talking to the robots is being replayed from the vision of the robot you got the memory board from, and as such Wily is always surrounded by the other seven robots, no matter who you defeat last. For whatever tiny amount of effort that took, it would have taken even less to have the two gendered words change whenever Splash Woman is the robot you defeat last, since they've already set up detection for that anyway.
I'm gonna make a guess that the Japanese version wasn't worried about pronouns. i.e. however they phrased the dialogue in that cutscene didn't make it so it needed to be distinguished, and it wasn't really in the scope of the translation team's job to add more logic to the cutscene to change text based on that event.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago I'm gonna make a guess that the Japanese version wasn't worried about pronouns.
It's pretty hard to be worried about pronouns when your language doesn't have gendered third-person ones.
Leet

Post by Leet »

It does, they're just not used nearly as often.

I think others said this but the translators could probably have easily written around it or just phrased it as 'they' (whether to be ambiguous or just talk about the robots as a whole) if they wanted to.
Window Squeegee
Hog with a Blog
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Window Squeegee »

I sure do hate it when Mega Man gets hit and becomes small Mega Man.

This level was the one that I tend to dread the most whenever I think about this game, specifically because of all the underwater spike shenanigans and all. Sure, there's spike guards you can buy, but the level design basically forces you to either buy one or pull off a near pixel perfect jump, plus letting go at just the right time in the off chance that you do manage to avoid the low ceiling so you don't hit the spike ceiling right after it. Probably not the worst thing to ever happen in a Mega Man game, but it does feel kinda cheap. Gotta be really careful.