(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Mega Man Xtreme - Xtremely Familiar

Post by Crow »

i cri everytim
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

"Don't think that this is end!"
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Translation Fun Time, and boy is this one a doozy!

putting it in spoilers to avoid cluttering the thread too much.
X VS. SIGMA: ROUND 1
Game Script: ???: Fu fu fu… I am impressed. You have done very well.
Actual Translation: ???: Hehehe….you’ve done well in making it here, X.
Game Script: X: I know your voice…
Actual Translation: X: That voice….it can’t be! (Sigma appears.)
Game Script: X: Sigma! So, you’ve been behind all of this?!
Actual Translation: X: Sigma! So you were the one behind all this!
Game Script: Sigma: Fu fu… Your efforts are worthy… But they will end here! Ha ha ha! X! Get ready to be destroyed!
Actual Translation: Sigma: Hehehe…your endeavors are praise-worthy indeed, but they will all end here! Hwahahahaha! Prepare yourself, X!

(X defeats Sigma.)
Game Script: Sigma: Ha ha… Nice try! But you’re just a tiny bug to me! Ha ha ha ha…
Actual Translation: Sigma: Hahahahaha…How sad. If that's all you have, then all your efforts will be in vain! Hwahahahaha….
(Sigma withdraws.)
Game Script: Techno: Oh no! We’ve been spotted! Is there nobody who can stop him?
Actual Translation: Techno: NO! Now they've found US too! Is there nobody who can stop him?
Game Script: Geemel: Darn! With this type of situation… I just run away… !
Actual Translation: Geemel: Bloody hell! If it’s all gonna be like this….I’ll just RUN!!
Game Script: Techno: Geemel! Darn! He left me behind!
Actual Translation: Techno: Geemel! Damn you!

FAREWELL TO MIDDY AND TECHNO
Game Script: Dr. Cain: X, finally I’ve found Sigma’s hiding place! You can warp from the core of the Mother Computer.
Actual Translation: Dr. Cain: X, we’ve finally discovered where Sigma is hiding! You can get there by warping from the Mother Computer's core.
Game Script: X: All right! Dr. Cain, I’m going to go there now!
Actual Translation: X: Understood, Dr. Cain! I'm moving out!
Game Script: Dr. Cain: It would seem that someone worked with Sigma and hacked the computer from there.
Actual Translation: Dr. Cain: It seems that there is someone there who is hacking the computer in cooperation with Sigma.
Game Script: Middy: …You know what, X? I have something to tell you… … No. Never mind. Good luck!
Actual Translation: Middy: ... Hey, X. About that... no, it’s nothing. Be careful!

(X enters the core and meets Techno.)
Game Script: Techno: Darn it! I didn’t notice it soon, but he’s already come so close! I need to make a move quickly…
Actual Translation: Techno: Damn! You’ve already come this far? I have to do something….
Game Script: X: No! I won’t allow you! I’ll crush the machine!
Actual Translation: X: No, I won’t let you! I’ll destroy that machine!

(X destroys the computer.)
Game Script: Techno: Waaaaa!
Actual Translation: Techno: Uwaaaa!
(Techno suddenly collapses.)
Game Script: Middy: Brother!
Actual Translation: Middy: Brotheeer!
Game Script: Techno: Oh… that voice sounds familiar…
Actual Translation: Techno: Ooh….that voice….
Game Script: X: Middy!
Actual Translation: X: Middy!
Game Script: Middy: Sob! My brother, Techno!
Actual Translation: Middy: Uwaaa! Techno!
"Uwaaa" is basically onomatopoeia for sobbing, so, this is still kind of lazy , but still better than just having the character reading out the stage directions.
Game Script: Techno: What… am I doing here…
Actual Translation: Techno: Where is this...what was I doing…?
Game Script: Middy: Techno! Oh, you’re waking up…
Actual Translation: Middy: Brother! You’ve come to!
Game Script: Techno: I’ve been controlled by Sigma… Middy… it’s all over with me… In order to hack the Mother Computer… I connected my own CPU directly with the computer…
Actual Translation: Techno: Has Sigma been manipulating me this whole time...? Middy….I’m done for…When I hacked the Mother Computer, I had to upload my own mind directly to that computer over there in order to do it.
Game Script: Middy: No! Don’t say that! Techno!! Please hold on!
Actual Translation: Middy: Uwaaa, don’t say that! Brother, hold on!
Game Script: Techno: Sigma is good at toying and controlling people’s hearts. He took advantage of my heart and made me work for him…
Actual Translation: Techno: Sigma is good at capturing people’s hearts….at some point I, too, had the weaknesses of my heart exploited.
Game Script: Middy: You are a genius! You don’t have a weak heart.
Actual Translation: Middy: You’re a genius, brother! You don’t have anything like a weak heart!
Game Script: Techno: Huh, you think so? Middy… But… you don’t understand…..
Actual Translation: Techno: Hmph, maybe so….but Middy….there’s no way….you understand….
Game Script: Middy: Nooo! Please… Techno! Don’t leave me! Techno!
Actual Translation: Middy: Uwaaa! Technooo! Don’t leave me! Brotheeer!
Game Script: X: Middy, what happened?
Actual Translation: X: Middy, what’s wrong?!
Game Script: Middy: Techno is my twin brother. We share a CPU. So if he dies, I also die…
Actual Translation: Middy: Techno is my twin brother and we share a brain CPU. So, if my brother dies, then I will too…. (Middy collapses.)
Game Script: Middy: X… Never give in to him! Be sure to defeat Sigma! ……
Actual Translation: Middy: X….you mustn’t lose. You absolutely have to beat Sigma! ……….
Game Script: X: Middy! Hold on! I’ll be back soon. Stay here! X: Middy! Get a hold of yourself! I’ll be right back! Wait here!

X VS. SIGMA: ROUND 2

Game Script: Sigma: I thought you would come here. I enjoyed your performances so much… But the entertainment is over. You must fall! Get ready!
Actual Translation: Sigma: You’ve come just as expected. Your participation this time was quite a pleasure to watch….but the show ends here.
Game Script: X: It’ll be the final battle! I’ll finish you at any cost!
Actual Translation: X: This is it Sigma! One way or another, I WILL win!!
(X defeats Sigma)
Game Script: Sigma: Hee hee hee. I guess I will retreat for now… However… X… Don’t think that this is the end! Ha ha ha…!
Actual Translation: Sigma: Hehehehe….well, I suppose I will retreat for now I will. But X….don’t think that this is the end! Hwahahahaha!

And now, weirdly, the localizers have suddenly changed their minds about how to transcribe the laughs. Because, Sigma does the exact same "Fufufufu" laugh that he did the last time, but NOW, instead of translating it literally, they changed the laugh to "Hee hee hee hee". I don't get it.

THE...ENDING?

Game Script: X: Middy, hold on! We have to evacuate now!
Actual Translation: X: Middy, hold on! We’re going to escape now!
Game Script: Middy: Uh… X… It… seems I’m done for… Thanks to you, Techno recovered his senses… Thank you, X…..
Actual Translation: Middy: Ooh...X...I’m...done for. Thanks to you, X, my brother was able to regain himself…thank you, X… (Middy dies.)
Game Script: X: Middy!
Actual Translation: X: Middyyyy!
(X returns to base.)
Game Script: Zero: X, our mission here is complete. … What’s up, X? Where is Middy?
Actual Translation: Zero: X, our mission here is over…What’s wrong, X? Where is Middy?
Game Script: X: Zero… I’m sorry… I couldn’t save Middy’s life.
Actual Translation: X: Zero…I’m sorry…I wasn’t able to save Middy…
Game Script: Zero: … X. It’s not your fault. Middy sacrificed himself to help all of us. He helped us to defeat Sigma… Don’t waste his sacrifices!
Actual Translation: Zero: ….X, that’s not your fault. Middy sacrificed himself. He did it to help us defeat Sigma. Just don't let Middy die in vain.
Game Script: X: ……… It’s not true peace when the strong rule the world… and the weak are sacrificed… It is very wrong, for sure! I will fight to prevent that!
Actual Translation: X: …A world controlled only by the strong will never know true peace. And to have it built on the corpses of innocent people...there is no justice in that! I will fight so that we never have to live in a world like that!
Game Script: Narrator: Thanks to X and ZERO’s work, Sigma’s ambition to take over the computer world was stopped. But the last words of Sigma make X feel unrest… “But, I won’t let evil win. No matter how strong or how many enemies I must defeat, I will always fight to protect the peace.” X makes this promise in his mind.
Actual Translation: Narrator: And so, thanks to X and Zero, Sigma's ambitions have come crumbling down within the computer world. However, Sigma’s finals words make X feel uneasy…. X firmly swore in his heart, “I will never forgive the evil that spreads throughout this world. I will restore peace, no matter how strong my enemies are.”
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

So the contrived "X shoots the computer and it hurts Techno" thing was in the original? I was kind of wondering if the script was supposed to have X shoot Techno directly.

Although Middy's death is just ludicrously contrived no matter how you look at it. If you want to kill him off pointlessly, at least have him, I don't know, connect to the computer to try and fix things and have something go horribly wrong. Or have Sigma kill him just to be evil. "X shoots a computer and kills two people as a result" is just, what even. What are they trying to say here, other than maybe "don't even shoot inanimate objects when it's not absolutely necessary".
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Why are all these past few mega man games always introducing new side characters just to kill them off
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago Why are all these past few mega man games always introducing new side characters just to kill them off
It's practically the major motif of the X series. Even Zero was killed off in his debut!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Leet wrote: 5 years agoWhy are all these past few mega man games always introducing new side characters just to kill them off
Most of them are spinoffs like the WonderSwan game where they have to maintain the status quo or placed into an already existing timeline. This game's between X2 & X3 which is why Dr. Cain's still there. The sequel's between X3 & X4.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

did dr cain die in X3 I forget lol
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I think he was mentioned in the manual for X4, and then they just kind of forgot that he existed entirely after that.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago Why are all these past few mega man games always introducing new side characters just to kill them off
Iris was exactly this. Though, it was a bit more meaningful when X5 was supposed to be the last game...
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Parama wrote: 5 years agodid dr cain die in X3 I forget lol
No. They just wrote him off after X3. I think he's mentioned in the X4 instruction manual since it's a decade or so later then, and that's it.

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 5 years agoI think he was mentioned in the manual for X4, and then they just kind of forgot that he existed entirely after that.
...I should really read the whole thread before responding. Ha-ha.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

The stage music for the final stage was familiar because it was the X1 Wolf Sigma theme. Then the music they used for Wolf Sigma was the X2 Neo Sigma theme. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

"I hope have fun fixing my mess, X!"

Also, hard mode will probably wind up being easier than your first run since you get to have all your armor pieces from the very beginning. Funny how that all works out!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

geemls sprite looks flirty and coy

for some reason

the final boss for real is totally going to be sigma again with no changes calling it now
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

This is such a weird way of doing things. Hard Mode is more like "Part 2 only you have to do the intro stage and fortress again". And it's not like the plot is looking to be any more compelling than the first time around. What are they going to do, find a way to tragically kill off Middy and Techno again?
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 5 years ago This is such a weird way of doing things. Hard Mode is more like "Part 2 only you have to do the intro stage and fortress again". And it's not like the plot is looking to be any more compelling than the first time around. What are they going to do, find a way to tragically kill off Middy and Techno again?
In hard mode, Midi and Techno were both double agents for their respective sides. And you have to deal with killing one of them. But which one? Spoiler: They're linked, so they both die. And the final boss is Sigma's dog.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

As this game has infected Rabi-Rabi by messing up your pause buttons, Rabi-Rabi has finally infected this game by making you repeatedly shoot dead ends. Truly, the circle of video game life is complete.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

It's this the closest raocow will get to visiting a suicide forest?
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Dragon Fogel wrote: So the contrived "X shoots the computer and it hurts Techno" thing was in the original? I was kind of wondering if the script was supposed to have X shoot Techno directly.

Although Middy's death is just ludicrously contrived no matter how you look at it. If you want to kill him off pointlessly, at least have him, I don't know, connect to the computer to try and fix things and have something go horribly wrong. Or have Sigma kill him just to be evil. "X shoots a computer and kills two people as a result" is just, what even. What are they trying to say here, other than maybe "don't even shoot inanimate objects when it's not absolutely necessary".
Okay so it's still really unclear in the original, but basically Techno had connected his mind to a computer so he could better hack the Mother Computer. He didn't disconnect from it in time before X destroyed it so the feedback fried him. Then, because Magical Twin Powers is a trope Capcom loves using even when it makes zero sense, Middy died. It was trying to be a tragedy, but the sheer ridiculousness and poor translation just made it confusing.

Now, Translation Fun Time!

HACKED! AGAIN!

Game Script: X: Zero, you must tell me! What’s happening!

Actual Translation: X: Zero, tell me! What’s going on?!

Game Script: Zero: The Mother Computer, which was restored, is now not working again.

Actual Translation: Zero: The Mother Computer data, which should have been restored to normal, is out of control again.

Game Script: X: I don’t believe it!

Actual Translation: X: No way!

Game Script: Zero: We found illegal access record in the Mother Computer… Someone must have accessed the data secretly. That person has been reproducing the fighting data of the past. In order to fix the Mother Computer we will need to fight our enemies in their data form…

Actual Translation: Zero: We've found evidence of the Mother Computer being illegally accessed….the one manipulating the data should be somewhere. But, that person's reviving past battle data, so if we're going to fix the Mother Computer, the only option is to transform into data once again.

Game Script: X: Zero, I’ll do it!

Actual Translation: X: Zero! I’ll go!

Game Script: Zero: OK. You handle this… And I’ll look into who is behind this evil plan. Be sure to watch out…

Actual Translation: Zero: I’m counting on you, X. I’ll go search for the mastermind behind this incident. Be careful X….

Both scripts: X: All right! Here we go!

MEANWHILE, AT GEEMEL'S EVIL HACKER SHACK...

Game Script: Geemel: Kekeke! Disgusting X! How could you beat me last time! I’ll pay you back for that! I’m going to mess up the data in the Mother Computer! I hope have fun fixing my mess, X!

Actual Translation: Geemel: Kekeke! Worthless X! Oh how you made us SUFFER last time! I'm gonna return the favor! I'll screw up the Mother Computer! That's what you get! Stupid X!

The original japanese has Geemel literally calling X a bastard here, but since the context in the original isn't really that negative, doing the same thing in an english translation would be a bit too Xtreeeme.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow x armored aramdillo otp
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Cosmo Fishhawk

Post by Cosmo Fishhawk »

I was like 9 when Mega Man X came out. I did feel kind of bad about killing the robot masters. In fact, I almost enjoyed looking at the character designs more than I did playing the game.

I mean, I knew they were bad guys and that it had to be done (John Freeman), but I guess I just wished that the story was different. Does this make me the primary demographic for Shots Fired or something lol?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

In this case, it's okay because you're just fighting data outside of the two baddies and Sigma.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

raocow has magical capsule-avoidance powers it seems.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Ugh, this is definitely my least favorite in the series to watch. It's like, what if X and X2 were boring? The amusement from raocow and the silly plot isn't enough.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

This weapon name is inconsistent with the rest, it should have been called S. MINE.