(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kincyr
HONK!

Re: Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge - A New World of Trouble

Post by Kincyr »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago And unlike the Gamecube Anniversary Collection, they didn't reverse the jump and fire buttons with no way to remap it! I'm not making this up! They made B jump and A fire, and there was no setting to switch this! (this was actually for all games, not just MM8)
at least they learned from that by the time they did the Mega Man X Collection, the GC version has no controller issues there
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago It's the PS1 version, although I don't think it's the best port job. The others are all pretty decent, but 8 feels a bit off in its look, and there's a song change here and there. That said, it still runs fine, definitely better than the PS2 Mega Man Anniversary Collection version anyway.
I got through the PS2 MMAC no problems. Though I never played the PSX original, so I guess I have no idea how it compares.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I don't know how you have all these years of Mega Man experience and never learned how to deal with the ice physics. Starting up your momentum on ice is a complete non-issue if you just jump in the air and keep moving while you land. Since the ice doesn't effect air control, you can gain your full momentum in the air, then land and maintain it.

You were actually kind of taking advantage of this in the Ice Man fight, but I guess that was unintentional, cause you sure didn't seem to figure it out for the platforming.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Considering raocow's apparently never played the GB Megaman titles before, I think he's doing pretty well. Younger me was so insistent on these games being so based on the NES source material that I never once considered that Elecman or Iceman could actually be a much easier starting point than Cutman. No wonder I thought this game was so hard in my youth.

But, y'know, in spite of that judgmental lapse, I can with a high degree of certainty say tomorrow's video is going to be something else.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Congratulations on discovering why Rolling Cutter is amazing in this game! The designers love putting enemies in spots where you have to jump just a tiny bit to reach them, or have to get down to their level somehow to deal with them, and the Cutter ignores that. Thunder Beam does too, but if you position yourself correctly, the Cutter will deal far more damage, because it deals a hit with every tick it's inside an enemy. THIS is how you defeat Sniper Joes in one hit - if you're a little too far away, you'll need two shots, which is still amazing!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

YelseyKing wrote: 6 years agoI got through the PS2 MMAC no problems. Though I never played the PSX original, so I guess I have no idea how it compares.
It's just the sound that's messed up in MM8. Really loud out of one speaker and quiet out of the other. They didn't balance it right. Gameplay-wise, it's a good port.

Also, raocow got to experience one of the main ways people lose their lives in these GB games tonight... Bonking your head on a low ceiling. That's kind of a theme for this series of games.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

How to deal with falling icicle room #1:
- Quickly move to where the second icicle will fall
- After the first icicle falls, quickly jump onto it
- Let the others fall and run/jump across their tops to the ladder

And icicle room #2:
- Wait for the first icicle to fall
- Quickly jump onto it, then jump up and left, the jump over to where the third icicle will fall
- After the second icicle falls, jump back across onto it
- Let the others fall and run/jump across the last one's top to the ladder

You have to be quick in both rooms to avoid taking damage or being trapped.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

With HeatMan, if you simply run away and don't shoot at him until after the first volley of embers, you'll always be far enough away to jump over him even if he quick-dashes.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Re: Mega Man 3 - Classic Rock vs. Blues

Post by Ashan »

raocow had literally no way of figuring that out

Oh wait
Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years ago I imagine you realized this in post-production, but I believe the cheesy pattern for Heat Doc still works if you don't try to fire at him immediately. Like, let him shoot his three fire pillars, slide away form him to get out of the way, and then fire at him from a distance. The times you got caught were always times when he fire-dashed quickly instead of sitting there like a doofus for several seconds, but if you're far enough away, it won't matter if he quick-dashes, because the fire pillars will be going (or outright gone) and you'll be far enough away to see him coming and jump over him easily.
Ashan wrote: 6 years ago I imagine you realized this in post-production, but I believe the cheesy pattern for Heat Doc still works if you don't try to fire at him immediately. Like, let him shoot his three fire pillars, slide away form him to get out of the way, and then fire at him from a distance. The times you got caught were always times when he fire-dashed quickly instead of sitting there like a doofus for several seconds, but if you're far enough away, it won't matter if he quick-dashes, because the fire pillars will be going (or outright gone) and you'll be far enough away to see him coming and jump over him easily.
Parama wrote: 6 years ago I imagine you realized this in post-production, but I believe the cheesy pattern for Heat Doc still works if you don't try to fire at him immediately. Like, let him shoot his three fire pillars, slide away form him to get out of the way, and then fire at him from a distance. The times you got caught were always times when he fire-dashed quickly instead of sitting there like a doofus for several seconds, but if you're far enough away, it won't matter if he quick-dashes, because the fire pillars will be going (or outright gone) and you'll be far enough away to see him coming and jump over him easily.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Fun with boss weaknesses:

- Cut Man is one of this game's most durable robot masters, in sharp contrast to his MM1 self. Even his weakness in this game (Fire Storm) only does 2 damage compared to the buster's 1.
- Elec Man, Ice Man, and Fire Man behave more traditionally in terms of weaknesses - taking 8, 8, and 4 damage respectively from their weaknesses (which are the same from MM1). Rolling Cutter also does 2 damage to both Ice Man and Fire Man, making it a good secondary option against them both.
- Flash Man's weakness is the Ice Slasher, from which he takes 2 damage. (A fully charged Atomic Fire would do 4 damage but is hardly practical in that fight).
- As you'd expect, Time Stopper cuts Quick Man's health in half (9 damage). He's also weak to Atomic Fire, with even an uncharged shot doing 2 damage (and a fully charged shot doing 10 damage, enough to kill him outright after Time Stopper use).
- Bubble Man's weakness is the Quick Boomerang. Like Cut Man he's surprisingly durable, taking only 2 damage even from his weakness.
- Heat Man takes 4 damage from the Bubble Lead and 2 damage from the Quick Boomerang.
- The Thunder Beam does not hurt any of the MM2 bosses.
- Enker is immune to all weapons except the buster.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

If I remember correctly... getting a game over after beating any of the MM2 bosses will have them *stay* beaten, even though you're sent back to the start of the stage. I *think*. I'm not 100% sure. It's been a while.

Moists:

Giik

Post by Giik »

I think the thing with Heat Man is that he teleported to megaman's location, not just the edges of the screen. Not sure about the timing, though.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Just letting you know this in advance, but I think it's a spoiler that's worth mentioning.
You're going to want to save that Mirror Buster for tomorrow. You will not like the end result if you don't.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Man, those levels were longer than they had any right being. I wouldn't even mind as much if they were a tad more interesting, but they tended to be fairly standard walking in straight lines while they spam enemies at you. No clever layouts or anything. Bleh.

Could have been worse, given what it is. But I'm not super impressed by the level design.
YelseyKing

Post by YelseyKing »

Wow, congrats on beating that mess without save states. I played through the GB games a few years ago, and did it mostly without them... but that last stage, man. I couldn't do it. You're a better man than I. :P

Also: I love the music in the final stage. Not very appropriate, but very catchy.

Moists:

Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Dr. Wily has a DOOR on his FACE.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

While I don't think it's the hardest game of the five, it's certainly got the toughest final boss. If you stay close to the jaw, you only have to worry about jumping over the Cutting Wheels that roll on the ground. You kind of have to jump back to avoid that but also land right where you were, so you're circling back to forward. If you do that, you can get a fully-charged Atomic Fire in. Two of those, and that first phase is over.

Second phase is all about getting that claw to attack you near the middle of the screen so you can use the left side for safety. Go too soon, and you're popped. You found that out firsthand the first time around but quickly figured it out on your last real chance. Congrats. Next GB game should be easy enough when you get to it.

Thank goodness there's a certain favorite classic Mega Man game sandwiched in between those first two GB games.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Game was a bit changkey, but I'm glad you liked it overall :). The next GB one will be easier, but worse!
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

oh man mega man 4!!!

it's my favorite of the mega men and sometimes my favorite game (it depends)

that being said i don't like drill man that much. he's got good everything except for his stupid boss fight. his moves are like 100% random and his drills are hard to dodge and deflect your shots

i really like the noise drill bomb makes for some reason though
Mea

Post by Mea »

screen looks huge after coming from the DOS and GB megamen wow
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Ah, Megaman 4. This is my favorite of the NES six. It had steep competition with Megaman 3 in my youth, but MM4 eventually edged it out with its more consistent difficulty and having one of Megaman's best sets of weapons.

People might like to start with Toadman, but I prefer to beeline for Pharoahman instead. He has an amazing weapon, a certain really nice collectible, and he himself isn't all that tough.

But yeah, gotta' say a recurring theme with this game is ridiculous boss collision damage. Do your best to stay away from them! Gotta' do the opposite of what was done with old Elecman near the start of the series!
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Man, what a jump in quality. It's a breath of fresh air after all this time since Mega Man DOS started.

4-6 don't get talked about much. I guess it's because the series had fallen into a lull of each game not doing much to stand out on its own, but they really are so much more polished compared to the predecessors. It seems like starting with 4, Capcom really learned how to take advantage of the NES hardware. The cutscenes and whatnot look fantastic compared to what was typical on the console. The colors, animations, etc. Even Nintendo's first party games never looked this good.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Mea wrote: 6 years agoscreen looks huge after coming from the DOS and GB megamen wow
Kinda reminds me of SMW->SMBX.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I started playing Legacy Collection recently, I think around when raocow finished MM3, and I've somehow muddled my way through the first three games.

On 4, which I'm still working my way through, I ended up beating Dive Man's stage first because I was bad at handling the slipperiness in Toad Man's.

Then I had trouble on Drill Man's stage until I learned, as raocow eventually did here, that you can just shoot the rocks. Makes it easy to refill health before the boss, not to mention get a bunch of extra lives.

I also experienced "whoops this jump is really hard without Rush Coil" and "Rush didn't land" at the 1-Up, although I didn't properly register the latter point in my mind until after I had started to jump, so that didn't end well.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!